The Student Room Group

How good is Cass Business School???

Hello people (:

I received offers from QUB, Kent, Southampton and City (Cass) to study actuarial science. I could've for traditional math courses at top tier universities since I was predicted very high grades and had a decent PS to back that up as well. However, since I'm dead set on doing AS, I didn't see any point in doing so as I learnt that the doing the AS courses will be the fastest route to becoming an Associate of the IFoA (the courses in all the above mentioned universities offer exemptions from all the CT exams).

I heard that the Cass business School ranks among the world's best (if not THE best) universities to study actuarial science (might be worth mentioning that the condition of my AS offer in Cass is 90%+ overall (Indian qualification). That's really high; on par w/ Oxbridge and other top tier universities' conditions) and learnt that it is a highly ranked business school in general as well. (Any opinions/comments on this are welcome; so is this true (about the AS part)? Are there any statistics to back these claims?) Now, the problem is, the reputation of City Uni really puts me off!! It's ranked in the 40s :O So back to the original questions, how good is Cass for AS in particular and as a business school in general as well (in terms of teaching quality, academic reputation and links w/ employers).

Thank you in advance (:

Sent from my iPhone

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
well clearly your firm will be cass or soton

it is great for employment prospects because of the links it has for all of its degrees

i would go with cass over southampton if it is the same degree.

the ranking of city has no effect on your degree as it will be under cass business school instead of city so do not worry

i got an offer from cass but rejected because i wanted to do economics
Original post by Manbeerpig
well clearly your firm will be cass or soton

it is great for employment prospects because of the links it has for all of its degrees

i would go with cass over southampton if it is the same degree.

the ranking of city has no effect on your degree as it will be under cass business school instead of city so do not worry

i got an offer from cass but rejected because i wanted to do economics

Okay. Tks for the reply (:

You mean "City" won't be mentioned anywhere in my degree certification? (Are you sure, cos there's got to be a uni in that certificate lol and if that isn't City, there isn't anything else right 😄 :P)

What did you apply for at Cass?

Well, Southampton's the highest ranking uni on my choices (unfortunately), so it'll be tough to reject Southampton for a uni ranked in the 40s in the league tables.

Sent from my iPhone
Cass Meh
Original post by Bill_Gates
Cass Meh

Precisely what I was talking about (:

Any specific reasons for the "meh" or is it just based on what you've heard?

Sent from my iPhone
(edited 10 years ago)
Haha, I got offer for Investment & Financial Risk Management. Considering they're the top Finance school in the City (according to gaurden).. :lol: and definitely out of all your offers.. it would be wise to firm it. It's in the city bare in mind so if you want another environment then go elsewhere. It's all down to what you want.. for Job prospects Cass though.
Reply 7
Original post by Sidhant Shivram
Okay. Tks for the reply (:

You mean "City" won't be mentioned anywhere in my degree certification? (Are you sure, cos there's got to be a uni in that certificate lol and if that isn't City, there isn't anything else right ������ :P)

What did you apply for at Cass?

Well, Southampton's the highest ranking uni on my choices (unfortunately), so it'll be tough to reject Southampton for a uni ranked in the 40s in the league tables.

Sent from my iPhone

It says "City University" is on the actual certificate when you graduate, I think that the person meant that you can say that you're studying at "Cass Business School" instead of "City University", but even that's controversial because I've tried telling people that I applied to Cass Business School last year, and nobody knew who they were, so I had to tell them "it's the business school of City University".

Just to let you know, I had an offer from Cass for AS last year, A*AA. I achieved AABa in my A-Levels, but they still accepted me. I rejected the offer though because I didn't like the university itself, the rankings, the fact its not a target university, and the fact that you can still become an Actuary by doing a Mathematical degree or an Engineering degree. Plus, I was more interested in becoming an Investment Banker than an Actuary, so I retook my A-Levels.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Haha, I got offer for Investment & Financial Risk Management. Considering they're the top Finance school in the City (according to gaurden).. :lol: and definitely out of all your offers.. it would be wise to firm it. It's in the city bare in mind so if you want another environment then go elsewhere. It's all down to what you want.. for Job prospects Cass though.

Yup. But how does it rank, when compared to the B Schools of top tier universities like Judge/Säid/Warwick B School/Tanaka (yeah, I know ICL's B School's for post grad only) or simply, a finance/math course at UCL/Bath? I know it's WAY better than the business schools of universities like Reading, QUB etc but what about those universities that I mentioned above (nothing more than a "meh" like the guy above mentioned; and not far lower either)...

Sent from my iPhone
Yup. But how does it rank, when compared to the B Schools of top tier universities like Judge/Säid/Warwick B School/Tanaka (yeah, I know ICL's B School's for post grad only) or simply, a finance/math course at UCL/Bath? I know it's WAY better than the business schools of universities like Reading, QUB etc but what about those universities that I mentioned above (nothing more than a "meh" like the guy above mentioned; and not far lower either)...

It's however you feel. People choose different Uni's for different reasons.. Campus/Prestige/Employability rates/Student satisfaction. Look through them in depth. Cass is probably the only good department in City so yeah it's dragged down by its rep. If you want to work in Finance it's no issue although going to City isn't something you can brag about to your friends :lol: as I doubt most would even know what Cass is.
Original post by AnharM
It says "City University" is on the actual certificate when you graduate, I think that the person meant that you can say that you're studying at "Cass Business School" instead of "City University", but even that's controversial because I've tried telling people that I applied to Cass Business School last year, and nobody knew who they were, so I had to tell them "it's the business school of City University".

Just to let you know, I had an offer from Cass for AS last year, A*AA. I achieved AABa in my A-Levels, but they still accepted me. I rejected the offer though because I didn't like the university itself (a lot of international students put me off) and I was more interested in becoming an Investment Banker than an Actuary, so I retook my A-Levels.

Lol yes! Exactly! People are like, "Cass? What the hell is that?!", "Oh, so it's a business school, I see"...😂 and these are people we meet everyday, normal people :P It may be great in the eyes of employers but not so much so in the eyes of the common man (I know, heir opinions don't really matter. But even then, I'm sure it'd be nicer to say that you're a Warwick/Säid B School graduate :P)

But for us AS applicants, I believe that's as far as we can go. There aren't any better actuarial science courses (in the UK atleast), I believ. Unfortunately, none of the top tier universities offer actuarial science courses :/

Yup, that's true (too many internationals). I (as an international applicant) am not looking forward to such an environment either. What to speak of you :P

Sent from my iPhone
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Lol yes! Exactly! People are like, "Cass? What the hell is that?!", "Oh, so it's a business school, I see"... and these are people we meet everyday, normal people :P It may be great in the eyes of employers but not so much so in the eyes of the common man (I know, heir opinions don't really matter. But even then, I'm sure it'd be nicer to say that you're a Warwick/Säid B School graduate :P)

But for us AS applicants, I believe that's as far as we can go. There aren't any better actuarial science courses (in the UK atleast), I believ. Unfortunately, none of the top tier universities offer actuarial science courses :/

Yup, that's true (too many internationals). I (as an international applicant) am not looking forward to such an environment either. What to speak of you :P

Sent from my iPhone

You can always do Actuarial Science at LSE, so that's the best university to go to by far. If you say you have the top grades, then you should have applied there.

Also, remember that you can become an Actuary by doing Maths/Statistics degrees, even Engineering degrees, basically any degree that is quantitative. Having an Actuarial Science degree just speeds up the process of finishing all the exams though, and as a consequence, you can get a higher salary earlier I'm assuming.

Plus, the fact that Cass has a lot of links to the City, it can provide you links to the top actuarial firms. Also, if you get A*AA, you get a bursary of £3,000 per year, so that's a nice incentive.

Overall though, I care too much about my pride, so that's why I retook the year and now I have an offer from UCL for Natural Sciences :biggrin:
Original post by AnharM
You can always do Actuarial Science at LSE, so that's the best university to go to by far. If you say you have the top grades, then you should have applied there.

Also, remember that you can become an Actuary by doing Maths/Statistics degrees, even Engineering degrees, basically any degree that is quantitative. Having an Actuarial Science degree just speeds up the process of finishing all the exams though, and as a consequence, you can get a higher salary earlier I'm assuming.

Plus, the fact that Cass has a lot of links to the City, it can provide you links to the top actuarial firms. Also, if you get A*AA, you get a bursary of £3,000 per year, so that's a nice incentive.

Overall though, I care too much about my pride, so that's why I retook the year and now I have an offer from UCL for Natural Sciences :biggrin:

I did apply to LSE. Was predicted a 95% overall. They wanted more 😒

Yup. You could do that. But I was talking about specific AS degrees.

Ah, but that's only for the home students right? (The bursary). There's something specifically for international students as well though.

UCL😃 Congrats😗...

Sent from my iPhone
Reply 13
Cass is highly regarded for masters, not sure how it is for undergrad though
Precisely what I was talking about (:

Any specific reasons for the "meh" or is it just based on what you've heard?

Sent from my iPhone

Two people i know have been, they have an ok external reputation but the students dont always agree.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Two people i know have been, they have an ok external reputation but the students dont always agree.

Okay. Tks (:

Sent from my iPhone
Btw, I was wondering, has anyone ever heard of people getting rejections from Cass? Cass rejects? (I've not).

Sent from my iPhone
Reply 17
I hve just graduated with a 2:1 in Investment and Financial Risk Management from City University (and believe me you will be having to say city to 99% of people as cass is about as heard of as Justin Bieber in a small tribe in the Brazilian rainforest).

If you have any questions, feel free to quote me and ask.

Of all your choices cass will be the best for you. If you are foreign which I think you are saying you are I would recommend you to go. If you are British and enjoy a social life which includes a drink here or there (basically if you are not going to Uni 100% for the degree) I would urge you to do everything it takes to avoid cass. It was the most dull 3 years of my life, surrounded by the most ignorant arrogant bunch of ********s I have ever met who all thought they were going to be the next head of Goldman Sachs.

So much hot air and so little substance to 99% of the students.
Original post by Huskaris
I hve just graduated with a 2:1 in Investment and Financial Risk Management from City University (and believe me you will be having to say city to 99% of people as cass is about as heard of as Justin Bieber in a small tribe in the Brazilian rainforest).

If you have any questions, feel free to quote me and ask.

Of all your choices cass will be the best for you. If you are foreign which I think you are saying you are I would recommend you to go. If you are British and enjoy a social life which includes a drink here or there (basically if you are not going to Uni 100% for the degree) I would urge you to do everything it takes to avoid cass. It was the most dull 3 years of my life, surrounded by the most ignorant arrogant bunch of ********s I have ever met who all thought they were going to be the next head of Goldman Sachs.

So much hot air and so little substance to 99% of the students.

You should feed this back to the lecturers and establishment of Cass. Given the amount of finance graduates they churn out yearly, it has a pretty poor showing in FO graduate recruitment. My brother is a director in a tier 1 US I-bank, who takes part FO recruitment events. He showed me the booklet of all the short-listed candidates for this year's graduate recruitment in s&t and to my disappointment not a single sausage from Cass. Whether they failed in screening or tests I don't know. For a business school that brands itself as the Uni for bankers, that's clearly ****! Note, I'm not slagging of Cass and to be fair unis outside top 5-6, are in the same boat.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by student_london
You should feed this back to the lecturers and establishment of Cass. Given the amount of finance graduates they churn out yearly, it has a pretty poor showing in FO graduate recruitment. My brother is a director in a tier 1 US I-bank, who takes part FO recruitment events. He showed me the booklet of all the short-listed candidates for this year's graduate recruitment in s&t and to my disappointment not a single sausage from Cass. Whether they failed in screening or tests I don't know. For a business school that brands itself as the Uni for bankers, that's clearly ****! Note, I'm not slagging of Cass and to be fair unis outside top 5-6, are in the same boat.

What you say is 100% correct.

The issue I have is I can't tell whether cass is absolutely awful or if all universities are like this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending