The Student Room Group

Vladimir Putin 'not for gays' protest beer

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Russia just bans the promotion of homosexuality. If you are homosexual why do you need to promote? Keep it to yourself. You all imagine that homosexuals are being beaten to death in Russia because you saw one video/article... But I admit all these protest cause even more violence towards them. And in reality there is little west can do to influence Russia on gay rights .

Anyway in Russia (population of 143 million) only 7% of people actually have a gay acquaintance.
Original post by datpiff
Ok, let's get straight to the point. Do you think what Russia is doing is acceptable?

I believe Russia's laws are pragmatic and would support the restoration of Section 28 in the UK (which is basically the same thing). Is that "acceptable"?
Reply 42
Original post by muzika
Russia just bans the promotion of homosexuality. If you are homosexual why do you need to promote? Keep it to yourself. You all imagine that homosexuals are being beaten to death in Russia because you saw one video/article... But I admit all these protest cause even more violence towards them. And in reality there is little west can do to influence Russia on gay rights .

Anyway in Russia (population of 143 million) only 7% of people actually have a gay acquaintance.

One video?! Lol it isn't just one video. Trust me on that one. You're trying to downplay the extent of homophobia in Russia just like Putin.Also one huge issue is Russian officials equating homosexuality with paedophilia, which is plain disgusting. It's amazing how many people just label me as being anti-Russia and pro west just because I'm calling them out on homophobia.

Just imagine you're in the 60s and saying the same thing to black people fighting for equal rights... Before anyone makes a smart arse lefty white person comment - I'm black.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
Ok, let's get straight to the point. Do you think what Russia is doing is acceptable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think their Laws are fine

They don't promote people to go out and kill them

that's the peoples choice

but the Anti Gay laws would be wonderful in the UK
Original post by mentallysound

:lolwut:

Sure, let's set our equality laws back several years, wouldn't that just be fantastic?
Original post by shadowdweller
:lolwut:

Sure, let's set our equality laws back several years, wouldn't that just be fantastic?

Personal preference

and that's mine.
Personal preference

and that's mine.

And mine is the opposite, hence disputing your statement.
Reply 47

Awww, so far behind. Quite cute!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
Original post by PatrickB
Awww, so far behind. Quite cute!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP

being cute comes in handy at times
Reply 49
Original post by datpiff
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/vladimir-putin-not-for-gays-protest-beer-launched-by-scottish-brewery-brewdog-9108835.html

Before I say this I do think Brewdog's beer is pretty good and their bars are cool, but while I think this is a pretty good idea for a protest against Russia's anti-gay policies and pretty funny too, I do think that they are guilty of pretty much cashing-in on the misery, torture and murder of gays in Russia.

I do not think this is simply a stunt which aims to make a difference or create awareness. It simply exists to boost sales and create more publicity for Brewdog, who like to imagine they're 'underground' but aren't. Cynical hipster crap. Gays boycotting Russian vodka = opportunity for a Scottish beer brewer

Opinions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite right, and as a shareholder I'm delighted at the publicity they've got off this.
Reply 50
Original post by Scumbaggio
I really don't like Brewdog.

Their place in Nottingham is terrible, the highlight is probably having a ps2 in there.

Full of posers and the only lager available is in a 330ml can, the spirit selection is also terrible.

I just don't like ale and bitter, I've tried but I find that when I have a pint of either it actually tastes worse with each sip.

I would say that it is basically a cynical money making tactic which is actually in character for this company.

Fake Larger is usually on tap.

Better whisky selection than anywhere that doesn't advertise itself as a whisky bar.

If you don't like ale, its probably not for you...
Reply 51
Original post by muzika

'Promotion' is a bit euthamistic, make it sound like advert campaigns saying how great the 'lifesytle' is whereas its the recognition that homosexuallity happens.

Your point would be fair, but likewise for hetrosexuals, why do you need to promote it, 'keep it to yourself'.
Reply 52
being cute comes in handy at times

What do you think of Google at the moment?
Reply 53
What I despise most is the idea that its fine to go into arab countries and fix their problems with misogyny and religious hatred by attacking the taliban, but even a slight criticism of russia's laws leads to arguments like this. It's pathetic, and Russia should be just as easy to hold to account for barbaric systems as anyone else.

But they advocate it. The police allow it to happen and when it's reported to them they tell the gay people 'Well you're gay, this is natural.'

Shocking at the people who genuinely believe this sort of thing. As with all of the other posters I'm sure there's some aspect of you that we could find that somewhere in the world would be treated as being an animal worthy of being put down, and you might realise that it's deplorable for anyone to be deprived of life due to circumstances beyond their control.
My Lord Putin must be so pleased that the whole Olympics is about gays now.
Putin isn't going to change his mind. I hate to sound like I'm defending his actions because I'm really not; but if you're gay, why go to Russia? There are countless other countries that are all better. Don't like it, don't go.
Original post by uktotalgamer
Putin isn't going to change his mind. I hate to sound like I'm defending his actions because I'm really not; but if you're gay, why go to Russia? There are countless other countries that are all better. Don't like it, don't go.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm against his actions because of how it affects the gay people already living there, not because I want to go to Russia.
Original post by shadowdweller
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm against his actions because of how it affects the gay people already living there, not because I want to go to Russia.

Then they should leave. Do you think Putin really gives a crap what any of us say? What any country threatens? Of course he doesn't. What are we gonna do, put him in the naughty corner?
Man honestly

Just give it a rest

Leave Russia alone.

Why should we? I believe we not only should but have a responsibility to promote equality. What's happening in Russia to gay people is disgusting, so we can't just sit lack and "give them a rest" but we need to try do something to help the poor innocent people who are being demonized by their own country. Russia has even made laws actively against homosexual expression.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending