The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield accommodation

Hey guys, so I was looking at accommodations and I realised that one of the biggest factors when choosing which one I want to stay in is - which one is closest to my classes? So I'm going to be studying Robotic and Mechatronic engineering which is in the Amy Johnson building.
Doe anybody know which is the closest? Or are there a few within reasonable distance? I'm hoping to walk everyday and not reply on public transport.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stakesby
Hey guys, so I was looking at accommodations and I realised that one of the biggest factors when choosing which one I want to stay in is - which one is closest to my classes? So I'm going to be studying Robotic and Mechatronic engineering which is in the Amy Johnson building.
Doe anybody know which is the closest? Or are there a few within reasonable distance? I'm hoping to walk everyday and not reply on public transport.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Opal, thats where I am, I'm an engineering student and its around a 3-4 minute walk. If you stayed at Endcliffe or Ranmoor you'd have around a 30-40 minute walk there and back each day, buuuuut the social side is better at the latter 2 places. There are pros and cons to both really.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Opal. Thanks man, this is very useful!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by pepeeglesfield
Opal, thats where I am, I'm an engineering student and its around a 3-4 minute walk. If you stayed at Endcliffe or Ranmoor you'd have around a 30-40 minute walk there and back each day, buuuuut the social side is better at the latter 2 places. There are pros and cons to both really.

Where is opal? I'm on the Website now, and all they have is "The Endcliffe Village", "The Ranmoor Village" and the "City and Central Campus"
I'm assuming it's part of the city and central campus, but I just want to make sure ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where is opal? I'm on the Website now, and all they have is "The Endcliffe Village", "The Ranmoor Village" and the "City and Central Campus"
I'm assuming it's part of the city and central campus, but I just want to make sure ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah its part of city and central, I'm at opal 2. Its on St Georges Street.
Reply 5
My son is studying mechanical engineering much of the time in the Mappin building and he lives at Ranmoor village. He walks there and back as do many but bicycles are popular and buses relatively cheap @80p. I think Ranmoor village and the engineering dept are about as far apart as it gets re Sheffield Uni :smile: Unless you have mobility issues that would mean you need to be near your dept I'd still look at Endcliffe and Ranmoor as they're a totally different vibe to the city centre. Find which kind of living environment you're most comfortable with.
Opal 2 would probably be the closest to the Amy Johnson building as it is one of the city centre accommodations.
Reply 7
Anyone who stayed at Broadlane Court has some information? I'm staying there and, as a girl, I'm worried because I'm readling about red light area around there...is it really like that? :frown:
Original post by Jess_aoi
Anyone who stayed at Broadlane Court has some information? I'm staying there and, as a girl, I'm worried because I'm readling about red light area around there...is it really like that? :frown:

It's not a dangerous area to get to if that's what you mean, it's pretty much on campus.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

All of our accommodation at Sheffield is within easy walking distance of the campus, with Ranmoor (the furthest) being about a 30-35 minute walk, depending on your walking speed. City and Central accommodation is the closest, being about a 5-10 minute walk. Because of the proximity of all our residencies to the main campus, we recommend that you consider other factors (the type of room you would like, how much access you want to social activities/ sports facilities etc) before choosing your accommodation, as these things are important too! :-)

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield.
Reply 10
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi,

All of our accommodation at Sheffield is within easy walking distance of the campus, with Ranmoor (the furthest) being about a 30-35 minute walk, depending on your walking speed. City and Central accommodation is the closest, being about a 5-10 minute walk. Because of the proximity of all our residencies to the main campus, we recommend that you consider other factors (the type of room you would like, how much access you want to social activities/ sports facilities etc) before choosing your accommodation, as these things are important too! :-)

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield.

Hi! Is it possible to change the location of the accommodation once you've been allocated?
Original post by JBunny
Hi! Is it possible to change the location of the accommodation once you've been allocated?

Hi,

That's something you would have to check with our Accommodation Team, as they handle all the room allocations. You can email them on [email protected].

Best wishes,

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield
Reply 12
Original post by Helloworld_95
It's not a dangerous area to get to if that's what you mean, it's pretty much on campus.

Mmh..ok..because of course I'd never walk alone in the night in any case, but I'm a bit worried by those comments. .. :/
Original post by Jess_aoi
Mmh..ok..because of course I'd never walk alone in the night in any case, but I'm a bit worried by those comments. .. :/

While it might not be the most reassuring way of saying it, I'll put it this way, there's one area you'll hear about being dangerous, and even then it's still safe enough that it can be joked about, and that area isn't where broadlane court is. Overall Sheffield is very safe and I've only heard of one attack (well, robbery) on students and I'm pretty sure it was because they were targeted as they were dealing.
Hi, I knew quite a lot of people around Broad Lane Court in 2011-12 and never heard anyone talk about a red light district in the area. I think the only problem that I've heard of was one student's room being robbed, but BLC now has gates etc. (or this is what it looks like, anyway) to improve security - besides that, this can happen anyway. A student in one of the main villages to the west of Sheffield had their things stolen just because some thieves managed to walk into their flat.

I'm also local and I believe the problem is more situated in the area along and north of Netherthorpe Rd. If there is any sex work going on in the area it'll probably be further along Broad Lane and away from the student residence - besides this, you'll never really have to go down that end of Broad Lane to reach uni, and I've walked down there plenty of times and felt safe. It's not the prettiest road once you get away from BLC but what can you expect from an industrial city (which is otherwise gorgeous everywhere else!)? :wink:

Just use your common sense, don't be alone at night and keep doors etc. locked and windows shut if you're on the ground floor and not in your room/flat.
Reply 15
Original post by Hannahbal
Hi, I knew quite a lot of people around Broad Lane Court in 2011-12 and never heard anyone talk about a red light district in the area. I think the only problem that I've heard of was one student's room being robbed, but BLC now has gates etc. (or this is what it looks like, anyway) to improve security - besides that, this can happen anyway. A student in one of the main villages to the west of Sheffield had their things stolen just because some thieves managed to walk into their flat.

I'm also local and I believe the problem is more situated in the area along and north of Netherthorpe Rd. If there is any sex work going on in the area it'll probably be further along Broad Lane and away from the student residence - besides this, you'll never really have to go down that end of Broad Lane to reach uni, and I've walked down there plenty of times and felt safe. It's not the prettiest road once you get away from BLC but what can you expect from an industrial city (which is otherwise gorgeous everywhere else!)? :wink:

Just use your common sense, don't be alone at night and keep doors etc. locked and windows shut if you're on the ground floor and not in your room/flat.

Thank you..

Well, not walking alone during the night and not leaving doors/windows open is the minimum everyone should do. I live in small city in Italy, but do excactly the same here too :smile:

Thanks again!
Reply 16
University of Sheffield is my firm choice and I've applied for accomodation at Endcliffe village, however, I haven't heard anything about which accomodation I've got. Is this normal and will I hear when I have my results if I get a place there?
Reply 17
Original post by lljjpp
University of Sheffield is my firm choice and I've applied for accomodation at Endcliffe village, however, I haven't heard anything about which accomodation I've got. Is this normal and will I hear when I have my results if I get a place there?

I thought that info regarding accommodation was only disclosed to student once they had received results? I'm part of a UoS Freshers facebook page, and loads of people have already been placed in Endcliffe et al, however, I think these people have sat the Baccalaureate and got the results/grades a few weeks back :smile: I think we're okay; we should be more concerned with grades than accommodation right now anyway :') GOOD LUCK!
Reply 18
Original post by JoeG96
I thought that info regarding accommodation was only disclosed to student once they had received results? I'm part of a UoS Freshers facebook page, and loads of people have already been placed in Endcliffe et al, however, I think these people have sat the Baccalaureate and got the results/grades a few weeks back :smile: I think we're okay; we should be more concerned with grades than accommodation right now anyway :') GOOD LUCK!

I thought that too, which is why I was getting concerned when I saw people posting on here what accomodation they're in! That would make sense then and I can relax about it... I am definitely concerned abut results right now but I'm trying to stop thinking about it! Thank you! Good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by lljjpp
I thought that too, which is why I was getting concerned when I saw people posting on here what accomodation they're in! That would make sense then and I can relax about it... I am definitely concerned abut results right now but I'm trying to stop thinking about it! Thank you! Good luck to you too :smile:

Ahahah I think we all are :') No problem, thank you also :3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending