The Student Room Group

Access to nursing courses...

Just how hard are those? I mean we will be doing 2 years worth of A-levels in just one year? are they hard at all?
Reply 1
I am currently studying an access to nursing course. Yes it is hard work, yes, it is intense. But if you knuckle down and do the work with lots of independent study you can get the grades required to get into Uni for nursing. It had pretty much taken over my life since Sept but it is worth it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by fifimas
I am currently studying an access to nursing course. Yes it is hard work, yes, it is intense. But if you knuckle down and do the work with lots of independent study you can get the grades required to get into Uni for nursing. It had pretty much taken over my life since Sept but it is worth it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are the age groups of those studying? are they all young-ish? also is there a lot of lab work or is it mostly essays?
Reply 3
We have students from 21 to 46. All ages.it depends on the subjects I do psychology, human physiology and health studies. We had had essays, presentations and exams. I know those that do biology have lots of lab work, I don't. At the moment we have 2 presentations to do, one solo and one in a pair, an essay and a set of structured questions for physiology. We also have a large research project to do too. I wont lie, it is hard work but woll be worth it!
Reply 4
It is really quite difficult to say whether or not someone will find access difficult. Personally I find it quite easy but others would say not. I did A levels 20 years ago and they seemed harder. However I would say I am much more engaged and enjoy my access course a lot more than A levels at 16. My access course is less work than I expected, but I spoke to people who said that I would have to work solidly for 9/10 months. I think I was probably ready for heavy duty study, so not surprised by the work load. If you are academic by nature and determined to get to uni, you will love it. All I ever wanted was to be a nurse, so I suppose that I would have walked on hot coals for my tutors should they have asked me too. You will get out of it what you put in, study in your own time if you need to in order to maintain high grades. What has been difficult is missing college to attend endless interviews as I do most of my learning in class where as others zone out in class and catch up at home. Just a few of my musings there for you!! Good luck :smile:
I assume it's all down to time management when I start mine this September I am l planing to spend 2 hours study at collage (not including lectures) and then 2 more at home do you think that's enough for me to get in to uni also I plan to do one hour on saturday and sunday
Reply 6
Original post by New- Emperor
I assume it's all down to time management when I start mine this September I am l planing to spend 2 hours study at collage (not including lectures) and then 2 more at home do you think that's enough for me to get in to uni also I plan to do one hour on saturday and sunday

I pretty much study most of the time when I am not at work or busy with the children, as the poster above said, you get out what you put in. If you want distinctions you have to go the extra mile in your research and independent study. I have put in lots of time and have had distinctions so far in the units I have completed, so it is worth it!

I would say that depends....I am currently studying an access course and have spent literally about 15 hours of my weekend on 1 essay so that I could make sure it would receive a distinction grade. And that is on top of extra hours in college and after college. I also have 2 kids to contend with so when ever I have a break from them, college work is first thing I do...you need good time management, I work better when I get into something, but you can spend hours at a time doing independent research, looking through loads of sources, books and web pages for information, and that's before you've even put pen to paper so to speak.
Original post by 4TSR
Just how hard are those? I mean we will be doing 2 years worth of A-levels in just one year? are they hard at all?
In my experience from the access course I'm currently studying, I'm finding it easier than my A-levels I did 7 years ago, however that might just be because I'm now in the right mind set for it. I want to go to uni and this can hopefully get me there. And its not so much getting 2 years into 1 year, its more preparing you for what university will want from you. Personally I don't think that A-levels fully prepare you (if i'd have gone in off my A-levels I wouldn't have coped at all), but that's just my opinion. There is a lot of work required, a lot of independent study, which university will want and writing essays. I know others on my course don't find it so easy, as it is very time consuming if you want the grades, and juggling that with personal life can be difficult, but with hard work and determination, they are a good way for mature students to obtain A-level equivalent qualification.
Original post by sillymoo1990
I would say that depends....I am currently studying an access course and have spent literally about 15 hours of my weekend on 1 essay so that I could make sure it would receive a distinction grade. And that is on top of extra hours in college and after college. I also have 2 kids to contend with so when ever I have a break from them, college work is first thing I do...you need good time management, I work better when I get into something, but you can spend hours at a time doing independent research, looking through loads of sources, books and web pages for information, and that's before you've even put pen to paper so to speak.
qualification.

Well i don't have any kids to look after or anything like tat i have an obscene amount of free time and i know how to study write essays interpret text and all that good stuff. so do you think i have a shot at passing at a Merit or Distinction grade?
Well i don't have any kids to look after or anything like tat i have an obscene amount of free time and i know how to study write essays interpret text and all that good stuff. so do you think i have a shot at passing at a Merit or Distinction grade?

yer, as long as you put the time in, there is no reason that you shouldn't :-)
Cool thanks I am a littel nevious about It tbh
Cool thanks I am a littel nevious about It tbh

You'll be fine. If you tutors are anything like mine, it is great, they are very helpful and although a lot is independent learning, they are there to help if you need it and provide good feedback to point you in right direction to achieve best you can. Good luck to you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending