The Student Room Group

Should I do an Access Course?

Hello!

Just wondering if anyone can share any info that might be helpful!

I've got a Bachelors and Masters in Music, but for the last few years I've realised that I really want to work with people, and ideally in a profession that makes a difference to people's lives (I did a bit of community music at uni - working in hospitals and with children with special needs which I loved, and made me reconsider my career path.)

I'm now really considering applying to do nursing, and I'm arranging volunteering to help me decide if this is the path I should go down and to get some experience.

The thing is, I've not studied anything remotely science-y since GCSE, and although I got good grades then (about 10 years ago!) I'm worried that I'm going to be lacking a lot of knowledge... Would doing an Access to Nursing course be something I should look at, or is this more for someone who hasn't been in education recently? If so, do I have any other options for gaining more science / healthcare related qualifications?

Thanks a lot! :smile:
Reply 1
You normally need to show some form of academic study within the last 5 years. So if your degree was more than 5years ago maybe do an access. Or like me just apply and see what happens
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply - I graduated in 2012 and hoping to apply for 2015 entry so should be ok on that front - just worried about not having any recent science or healthcare study...
Reply 3
I looked into access courses for nursing and chatted to admissions at the uni I've applied to and the decision was it wasn't hugely relevant or necessary since my degree meant I met the entry requirements along with my highers etc. I did need to show recent study though and was told a open uni course would be suitable do am currently doing that instead.
Reply 4
I know that you're not required to do a science at A level, so they may be less strict about that? If you have relevant experience as well it may not be as important. You might as well apply and see what happens? I graduated in 2012 as well!
Reply 5
Thanks for the help :smile: hazelg - do you mind if I ask what Open Uni course are you doing?
Reply 6
I'm just doing an openings course just now, understanding children & young people, I'm currently a childminder and applying for childrens nursing so figured it might be useful. If I don't get into uni this year I plan on doing k101 intro to health and social carein aaugust x
I would go for it it will definitely help you with your career. But make sure your course has level two in English and maths if you don't already have the gcses at grade c

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moominface88
Hello!

Just wondering if anyone can share any info that might be helpful!

I've got a Bachelors and Masters in Music, but for the last few years I've realised that I really want to work with people, and ideally in a profession that makes a difference to people's lives (I did a bit of community music at uni - working in hospitals and with children with special needs which I loved, and made me reconsider my career path.)

I'm now really considering applying to do nursing, and I'm arranging volunteering to help me decide if this is the path I should go down and to get some experience.

The thing is, I've not studied anything remotely science-y since GCSE, and although I got good grades then (about 10 years ago!) I'm worried that I'm going to be lacking a lot of knowledge... Would doing an Access to Nursing course be something I should look at, or is this more for someone who hasn't been in education recently? If so, do I have any other options for gaining more science / healthcare related qualifications?

Thanks a lot! :smile:

Hi

Access courses can be good for retraining and they come with a major bonus. If you go onto study a degree programme after, then the Adult Learner Loan you would need to take out for the Access course is wiped out as if you didn't take one out in the first place. Add to that the fact that Nursing and Teaching degrees attract additional Student Finance, if you had it previously. Essentially, SFE will pay for a second degree if it is in Nursing & Midwifery or Teaching.

Getting some volunteering experience can be useful but at this time, this might be limited due to covid and in all likelihood would require you to be fully vaccinated against Covid, including boosters. You might not get any experience in a hospital at this time but you may well get some in nursing homes etc. Unfortunately, whilst there is a lot of patient care involved, there is not a lot of Registered Nurse work that can be done by volunteering due to needing to be qualified.

I trained as a Registered Nurse in a hospital many years ago but much of what we did, is now given over to care assistants. The Nursing degree is essentially half of a Medical degree and much of the knowledge you gain, you may never use.

If it is work with people you want, then an Associate Nurse Programme might be better. I don't know where you are or where the nearest Programme would be but you can find the information here: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/nursing/roles-nursing/nursing-associate
If you google Nursing Associate Courses/apprenticship or FdSc (Foundation Degree Science) Nursing Associate you should find some good options there and you will get all the scientific knowledge you need within the course.. You also have the option to take the top up to Registered Nursing if you ultimately decide that is what you want to do.
Have a look into graduate entry nursing . A lot of places offer a msc pre reg nursing course which leads to qualification in two years and you don’t always need a health or science background however you will need 460 hours of care work either paid or voluntary but at the moment there is such a shortage of health care assistants in the nhs and social care you should easily be able to get some paid experience for a few months if you look at bank nhs work or temp care work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending