The Student Room Group

Why does HYPERTENSION (high bp) cause HYPOVENTILLATION

Why does HYPERTENSION (high bp) cause HYPOVENTILLATION (i.e: why does stimuation of the arterial baroreceptors cause a decreased breathing rate)?
Thank you
When blood pressure increases due to increased cardiac output while at rest then the concentration of carbon dioxide in the blood reduces, as more blood flows to the lungs as well as more carbon dioxide/lactate taken away from the tissues. This causes a rise in pH. The chemo receptors of the ventilation center are stimulated and rate of impulses are changed so as to reduce the breathing rate

Not too sure ...I'm still doing AL
Reply 2
Original post by RoyalBlue7
When blood pressure increases due to increased cardiac output while at rest then the concentration of carbon dioxide in the blood reduces, as more blood flows to the lungs as well as more carbon dioxide/lactate taken away from the tissues. This causes a rise in pH. The chemo receptors of the ventilation center are stimulated and rate of impulses are changed so as to reduce the breathing rate

Not too sure ...I'm still doing AL

Firstly, you can't assume the increased pressure is due to increased output. Secondly, under normal conditions, you wouldn't expect increased cardiac output alone to effect blood gases - the blood would still be equilibrating with alveolar air as before. The effect of lactate under normal conditions is also negligible.

OP, the effect seems to be a direct result of acute stimulation of the baroreceptors, as per this source. To my knowledge, primary hypertension does not cause hypoventilation in the clinical setting. It is not due to the hypertension. If you're asking why it does that... no idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending