The Student Room Group

First Aid

Slightly random question but hey-ho.

I'm applying for a job at Christmas (I know, early, but they're in demand!) for which I require a first aid qualification. Problem is, mine will have expired by then. It seems a bit silly to book on (and pay for) a new course given that I'm off to medical school, but I was wondering if I'll actually have any formal qualification from the first term, or if it's just kind of swallowed up by the whole medical degree thing.

If all goes to plan I should be starting at Cambridge in October. I know there's minimal patient contact in the first year, but do you do even basic first aid?
Reply 1
I know that some universities give a formal qualification. If cambridge don't there may be somewhere on campus where you could learn.
Reply 2
If I remember correctly Cambridge has a St John's Ambulance LINKS group. You might join in with them.
Reply 3
You don't get any formal qualifications during pre-clinical years. I trained with the Red Cross, another guy at Clare was involved and trained us all; there's also the LINKS group but I don't know much about them other than that they exist and do quite a lot of work.
Reply 4
You don't actually get any qualification from medical school that's recognised as a 'first aid' qual. For the working world you normally need a H&S approved FAW or similar.
Helenia
You don't get any formal qualifications during pre-clinical years. I trained with the Red Cross, another guy at Clare was involved and trained us all; there's also the LINKS group but I don't know much about them other than that they exist and do quite a lot of work.

Do you pay for courses and if so are they expensive?
Reply 6
parsleythelion
Do you pay for courses and if so are they expensive?

I don't pay for any of my training; as a member of the local Red Cross I "repay" them by providing first aid cover for them at various public events. Which are quite fun (though so far very uneventful *touch wood*). We don't have to pay for our uniform either, which is good. I THINK that LINKS work the same way (train you for free if you do duties for them) but I'm not sure. Might be worth seeing if there's any info on them on the net, or just speak to them at the Freshers' Fair.
Reply 7
Helenia
I don't pay for any of my training; as a member of the local Red Cross I "repay" them by providing first aid cover for them at various public events. Which are quite fun (though so far very uneventful *touch wood*). We don't have to pay for our uniform either, which is good. I THINK that LINKS work the same way (train you for free if you do duties for them) but I'm not sure. Might be worth seeing if there's any info on them on the net, or just speak to them at the Freshers' Fair.

Links is the same way :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending