The Student Room Group

Are Durham and Warwick really that prestigious worldwide?

Scroll to see replies

I hadn't even heard of either before TSR and I'm from Scotland, I can also confirm none of my friends did either, so in short, no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by powwer
Obviously you're not from Imperial, what you said doesn't even make sense!

Imperial demands high entry grades because of several reasons, not least because of grade inflation in the UK, viz GCSE and A-Levels but also due to demand and supply.

If a run-of-the-mill uni asks for A*A*A*, do you think they would get many applicants?

what he said doesn't make sense in this context because the international rankings that are here being discussed are entirely uninterested in undergraduate admissions tariffs.

The argument is perhaps sensible (though I wonder if it is accurate or defensible) in the context of UK-based rankings, the newspaper tables. What he seems to be saying is that Imperial apparently betters, e.g. UCL, because its ranking is pushed-up by the weighting for tarriff on entry, but that this is an unjust comparison since the UCL figure is affected by the students rolling up with AAB for Anthropology with Dutch. And this doesn't obtain at Imperial, where everyone is studying what is a high-tarriff course whether at Imperial or UCL or Manchester, because these are the only courses there offered.

Edit: in answer to the question - neither Durham nor Warwick is "prestigious worldwide", though the Warwick Business School has some cachet in East Asia.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ukmed108
You must be from Imperial lol. Imperial is good but its ranking is inflated because of its focus on courses that require higher entrance averages in general.

Cambridge actually :smile: I just find the scientific research at Imperial to be very advanced. Although I wholly agree that the have ridiculous entrance requirements :P
Reply 23
Original post by cambio wechsel
Edit: in answer to the question - neither Durham nor Warwick is "prestigious worldwide", though the Warwick Business School has some cachet in East Asia.

Department of Economics too, because RePEc (by IDEAS) and ARWU rank their research standard in Economics high worldwide.

In the same context, Math at Warwick and Natural Science at Durham are prestigious outside of the UK to some extent.

Worldwide prestige highly depends on ranking positions in world uni rankings, including not only Times and QS, but also other rankings like ARWU, RePEc and MBA rankings. WBA is famous among business people outside of the UK, because of the MBA rankings (by FT and Economists).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by powwer
Obviously you're not from Imperial, what you said doesn't even make sense!

Imperial demands high entry grades because of several reasons, not least because of grade inflation in the UK, viz GCSE and A-Levels but also due to demand and supply.

If a run-of-the-mill uni asks for A*A*A*, do you think they would get many applicants?

What I was saying is that Imperial teaches Science, Tech and Medicine courses which tend to require higher grades and draw in students with high grades than Arts courses. So it is biased in its UCAS tariff.

Thanks cambio wechsel, that was exactly my point and I was referring mainly to the UK domestic rankings.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
I'm from the US, they are not well-known here. Unless you have a very specific subfield interest that is studied at one of them, no one will know anything about them.
Reply 26
So the general gist i'm getting here is that on the whole the two aren't world famous, but for specific subjects they perform really well, and have good links with Asian countries (Warwick at least). So which subjects do these include that make them known worldwide?
Reply 27
Are they known in international relations ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by Ellen96
So which subjects do these include that make them known worldwide?

Warwick => Business (MBA), Econ, Math
Durham => Physics

Those subjects are relatively famous among people in specific fields worldwide. But because so many business people want to do MBA, Warwick is a bit more famous than Durham.

According to wikipedia view count index (which I originally posted in a different thread), Warwick is reasonably known in Chinese speaking area and Korea, and Durham is reasonably known in Chinese speaking area. They are known on the same level as Northwestern, and more famous than Rice and Emory among non-English speaking countries.

So we can say they are not famous universities but not nameless worldwide. Literate people know they are good unis.

t01.png
t02.png
t03.png
t04.png
Original post by WinstonO'Brien
Cambridge actually :smile: I just find the scientific research at Imperial to be very advanced. Although I wholly agree that the have ridiculous entrance requirements :P

Wait until you see Trinity College Dublin's entry standard... A*A*A*A* for psychology and a few other courses. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
You must be from Imperial lol. Imperial is good but its ranking is inflated because of its focus on courses that require higher entrance averages in general.

I have an offer for AAA, which is below what many offer for medicine! I have a friend that has an offer for A*A*AA at LSE to study Law, and even he doesn't think his requirements are inflated.
Original post by Interstellar
Wait until you see Trinity College Dublin's entry standard... A*A*A*A* for psychology and a few other courses. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh entrance requirements don't mean anything past a certain point :P

Is it affiliated with Trinity Cambridge?
Reply 32
What I was saying is that Imperial teaches Science, Tech and Medicine courses which tend to require higher grades and draw in students with high grades than Arts courses. So it is biased in its UCAS tariff.

Thanks cambio wechsel, that was exactly my point and I was referring mainly to the UK domestic rankings.

Likewise Oxbridge have the highest proportion of public school educated, so if that factor were eliminated, they'd be lower in league tables.
Original post by WinstonO'Brien
Ahh entrance requirements don't mean anything past a certain point :P

Is it affiliated with Trinity Cambridge?

Named after I believe, but it's an independent uni in its own right from the 16th century onwards. Even so, it's rather pretty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by dbkey
Likewise Oxbridge have the highest proportion of public school educated, so if that factor were eliminated, they'd be lower in league tables.

Its not easier to earn grades at public schools...
Reply 35
Original post by KanKan
I have an offer for AAA, which is below what many offer for medicine! I have a friend that has an offer for A*A*AA at LSE to study Law, and even he doesn't think his requirements are inflated.

I was saying that to suggest that some courses are inherently more competitive than others (e.g. Sciences, Medicine, Economics, Engineering and Law vs History, Art History, Languages) and schools like Imperial and LSE teach mostly competitive courses. This would result in inflated UCAS Tariffs and lead to higher rankings.
Original post by River85
Because international tables are based on very different criteria to domestic tables. International tables will consider things such as citations, peer reviews, Academic awards and even number of international students and staff - all of which favour the larger research intensive universities in larger cities.

As for employment, if you look at the employer review in league tables you'll find both perform quite strongly internationally anyway (around top 25 in the world). This is largely because they are strong universities, so it's no surprise their graduates do well, but also because so many major multi-nationals are Anglo-American anyway.

If you look at the great universities in the World, such as Harvard, UCL, Oxford and Yale, they have great research power, as well as high standards of teaching and tradition. Durham just hasn't got the resources and infrastructure to compete with the World's best universities, and it is about time students on TSR woke up and realised that it isn't a World class university yet.
Original post by King of the Ring
If you look at the great universities in the World, such as Harvard, UCL, Oxford and Yale, they have great research power, as well as high standards of teaching and tradition. Durham just hasn't got the resources and infrastructure to compete with the World's best universities, and it is about time students on TSR woke up and realised that it isn't a World class university yet.

The thread is old mate, why resurrect it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
The thread is old mate, why resurrect it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To resurrect River85 . . .
Original post by Ellen96
x

No. No-one knows what a Durham is outside of the UK. Warwick people do know but nobody considers a top university.

Original post by River85
Because international tables are based on very different criteria to domestic tables. International tables will consider things such as citations, peer reviews, Academic awards and even number of international students and staff - all of which favour the larger research intensive universities in larger cities.

Is that why universities that are not nearly the largest in the world dominant the tables, with most of them not in large cities?

Original post by Katie_p
Warwick really suffers in citations, because it hasn't had hundreds of years to build up a wealth of literature.

Apart from Oxbridge and the four ancients, none of the UK universities does so it's not a good excuse.

Original post by Old_Simon
This is a bit like Stanford in the USA. It is not "Ivy League" but alongside MIT is arguably the best university on the planet.

If you seriously think Durham or Warwick could even be compared to Stanford, this just shows how overrated both of them are.

Original post by cambio wechsel

As the university for people who don't make the grades locally in East Asia to go to, yes.

Original post by RussellG
According to wikipedia view count index (which I originally posted in a different thread), Warwick is reasonably known in Chinese speaking area and Korea, and Durham is reasonably known in Chinese speaking area. They are known on the same level as Northwestern, and more famous than Rice and Emory among non-English speaking countries.

In Chinese-speaking regions, no-one knows what Durham is. People also don't know Northwestern, Rice, or Emory. You're comparing universities that are all pretty much unknown.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending