The Student Room Group

A-level help

I'm a retake guy and I have to say the work load is killing me, I've got 11 exams in May/June and I try to do 4/6 hours a day but I'm starting to get demotivated and procrastinating, I also work so I get tired from that too, I feel like I'm sinking what should I do and any revision tips

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by confusedbengali
I'm a retake guy and I have to say the work load is killing me, I've got 11 exams in May/June and I try to do 4/6 hours a day but I'm starting to get demotivated and procrastinating, I also work so I get tired from that too, I feel like I'm sinking what should I do and any revision tips

Posted from TSR Mobile

you should try this thread. It's motivated me hell of a lot!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1375172&page=91&page=91
Original post by LadyUchiha
you should try this thread. It's motivated me hell of a lot!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1375172&page=91&page=91

Thanks a bunch I think I posted on this forum a while ago but I'm still lacking motivation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks a bunch I think I posted on this forum a while ago but I'm still lacking motivation

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not alone. I'm currently meant to be typing up my biology coursework plan but I'm avoiding it like plague.

Let me say something and I hope it motivates you:

If you actually want the grades, why are you not working? The grades do not come to you, you go to them! (just ignore my made up motivation quote if it does not help)

*I seriously don't know if this helps you or not but someone posted a motivation quote a while back... let me just paste it:

For any science students (especially Biology and chemistry) and Maths, it's very very easy to be hard-working and knowing your stuff, but still ending up on a C, what AS students don't realise is how big a jump A-levels are from GCSEs (especially in terms of marking). A-levels don't just require knowledge, they require tactics, you need to understand WHAT the question in your exam paper is asking and HOW you should answer it. So it's not about what you know, it's about WHERE you put it and HOW you present it! Exam technique is really important as well as knowing your specification inside out!

This is what I did to go from DDDE to A*A*AA:

Keep yourself organised, don't set yourself the amount of hours you'd revise in an evening, instead set yourself targets (say to yourself "okay I'm going to finish making notes for this chapter today") and stick to them!

Make notes according to your exam board's specification. Honestly literally know your specification inside out. This is especially important for anyone doing OCR chemistry and Edexcel Biology.

For maths: I used examsolutions and I did textbook chapters a lot before starting on past papers to make me confident. After I did past papers I tallied which topics I kept losing marks on then I looked up questions in past papers specific to that topic and did them all!

For Edexcel Biology, the examiner reports are a BIG life-saver. They not only show you the answers previous candidates have written but also how many marks they achieved for it (these can be found on the official Edexcel website). Biology mark schemes are usually very basic, so examiner reports help you in perfecting your exam technique

For OCR chemistry: I did OCR (B) so this is what I used: http://www.rswebsites.co.uk/science/...pers/Index.htm, I literally did every past paper ever. With OCR chemistry you'll slowly start to understand that their papers are really repetitive but their mark schemes are REALLY specific. So it's a good idea to memorise the big 6 markers for which the mark scheme never changes. Also, if you can find yourself something similar to what that link has to offer then that would be helpful!

Obviously, give yourself a break every now and again, but don't keep delaying targets. You don't want work piling up.

Get your teachers to mark your past papers as much as possible.

Watch YouTube videos for anything you don't quite understand in Biology or chemistry (you'd be surprised at the amount of education crap on YouTube)

I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to make your own notes. I mean, it's good to find online notes, but reading through them didn't really help me a big deal.

Try CGP revision guide for Edexcel Biology, they really did help me, but NEVER rely on revision guides to cover everything (especially for OCR Chemistry). Make sure you look through the specification and tick off stuff that you know!

You're not alone. I'm currently meant to be typing up my biology coursework plan but I'm avoiding it like plague.

If you actually want the grades, why are you not working? The grades do not come to you, you go to them! (just ignore my made up motivation quote if it does not help)

*I seriously don't know if this helps you or not but someone posted a motivation quote a while back... let me just paste it:

For any science students (especially Biology and chemistry) and Maths, it's very very easy to be hard-working and knowing your stuff, but still ending up on a C, what AS students don't realise is how big a jump A-levels are from GCSEs (especially in terms of marking). A-levels don't just require knowledge, they require tactics, you need to understand WHAT the question in your exam paper is asking and HOW you should answer it. So it's not about what you know, it's about WHERE you put it and HOW you present it! Exam technique is really important as well as knowing your specification inside out!

Keep yourself organised, don't set yourself the amount of hours you'd revise in an evening, instead set yourself targets (say to yourself "okay I'm going to finish making notes for this chapter today") and stick to them!

Make notes according to your exam board's specification. Honestly literally know your specification inside out. This is especially important for anyone doing OCR chemistry and Edexcel Biology.

For maths: I used examsolutions and I did textbook chapters a lot before starting on past papers to make me confident. After I did past papers I tallied which topics I kept losing marks on then I looked up questions in past papers specific to that topic and did them all!

For Edexcel Biology, the examiner reports are a BIG life-saver. They not only show you the answers previous candidates have written but also how many marks they achieved for it (these can be found on the official Edexcel website). Biology mark schemes are usually very basic, so examiner reports help you in perfecting your exam technique

For OCR chemistry: I did OCR (B) so this is what I used: http://www.rswebsites.co.uk/science/...pers/Index.htm, I literally did every past paper ever. With OCR chemistry you'll slowly start to understand that their papers are really repetitive but their mark schemes are REALLY specific. So it's a good idea to memorise the big 6 markers for which the mark scheme never changes. Also, if you can find yourself something similar to what that link has to offer then that would be helpful!

Obviously, give yourself a break every now and again, but don't keep delaying targets. You don't want work piling up.

Watch YouTube videos for anything you don't quite understand in Biology or chemistry (you'd be surprised at the amount of education crap on YouTube)

I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to make your own notes. I mean, it's good to find online notes, but reading through them didn't really help me a big deal.

Try CGP revision guide for Edexcel Biology, they really did help me, but NEVER rely on revision guides to cover everything (especially for OCR Chemistry). Make sure you look through the specification and tick off stuff that you know!

Yeah that's the same as me I'm suppose to be writing an essay for biology but it's not happening ATM, but wow no that quote was actually really good you should make a meme of it or something it was good

That is 100% right I think I'm going to have to spend more time on doing actual past papers

But again thanks a lot for all of this your a star, just out of curiosity are you doing A levels too?

But yeah I'm feeling ready to kick some textbook butt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Yeah that's the same as me I'm suppose to be writing an essay for biology but it's not happening ATM, but wow no that quote was actually really good you should make a meme of it or something it was good

That is 100% right I think I'm going to have to spend more time on doing actual past papers

But again thanks a lot for all of this your a star, just out of curiosity are you doing A levels too?

But yeah I'm feeling ready to kick some textbook butt

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha, I'm so sad I printed it out and stuck it in my diary ( one form of motivation)

Yep, my last year of A-levels. What subjects do you study (other than biology of course)

Thank you so much for that!!
I've got my mocks back and I've got a C,D and E so far; and have been really worried that I won't be able to get them up to an A grade. I'm also doing OCR(B) chemistry and Edexcel Biology and maths. The chemistry mark scheme is so specific and it's so difficult to understand what the questions are asking sometimes. But anyway at least I believe its realistic to get my grades up now, as long as I work really hard :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by tealover96
Thank you so much for that!!
I've got my mocks back and I've got a C,D and E so far; and have been really worried that I won't be able to get them up to an A grade. I'm also doing OCR(B) chemistry and Edexcel Biology and maths. The chemistry mark scheme is so specific and it's so difficult to understand what the questions are asking sometimes. But anyway at least I believe its realistic to get my grades up now, as long as I work really hard :smile:

I'm glad it's helping you.
I'm also doing the same and just recieved my Chemistry mocks which I got a big fat C in. Have you done your investigation for chemistry. Biology I despise btw - even though I take it.
I'm glad it's helping you.
I'm also doing the same and just recieved my Chemistry mocks which I got a big fat C in. Have you done your investigation for chemistry. Biology I despise btw - even though I take it.

I'm doing As so we don't have any chemistry investigation this year? But I'm trying to finish my Biology coursework this half term holiday!
I'm doing As so we don't have any chemistry investigation this year? But I'm trying to finish my Biology coursework this half term holiday!

The issue report? I hated that! What's your one on. I achieved a B in the end
The issue report? I hated that! What's your one on. I achieved a B in the end

Yep!! Mine's on Parkinson's disease and it is so much effort...but I just want to get it over and done with now. I was also very stupid and started writing the report without actually finding any sources so now I'm doing both at the same time :rolleyes:
Yep!! Mine's on Parkinson's disease and it is so much effort...but I just want to get it over and done with now. I was also very stupid and started writing the report without actually finding any sources so now I'm doing both at the same time :rolleyes:

Well hopefully that won't take too long. My one was on how animla assisted activity could help schizophrenic patients. Your one sounds very interesting
haha, I'm so sad I printed it out and stuck it in my diary ( one form of motivation)

Yep, my last year of A-levels. What subjects do you study (other than biology of course)

Lol I'm probably sadder I was thinking about printing out a tupac quote and sticking it on my wall

Well I study AQA Biology and Chemistry(most hated subject) OCR sociology and an AS in Edexcel economics

Wbu? What else do you study other than the hell on paper called biology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol I'm probably sadder I was thinking about printing out a tupac quote and sticking it on my wall

Well I study AQA Biology and Chemistry(most hated subject) OCR sociology and an AS in Edexcel economics

Wbu? What else do you study other than the hell on paper called biology

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biology (most hates subject) Chemistry ( love it with a passion) and media. Used to do sociology dropped it because I hated it.
Are all your subject AS?
Reply 15

Congratulations!

Posted from TSR Mobile

this is an amazing achievement!! i expect nonetheless from a fellow uchiha:wink: do you think that doing past papers and using your notes to help you answer questions you don't know is a good revision technique? btw love that motivational quote, i am going to print that and stick it on my wall!!!:biggrin:
Biology (most hates subject) Chemistry ( love it with a passion) and media. Used to do sociology dropped it because I hated it.
Are all your subject AS?

All of them are at A2 apart from economics that AS and I have to self teach that 😕

Wow you love chemistry, your like a million in one kind of person then and oh why did you drop sociology, the essays do get tedious but it's much better than chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGameOfScience
this is an amazing achievement!! i expect nonetheless from a fellow uchiha:wink: do you think that doing past papers and using your notes to help you answer questions you don't know is a good revision technique? btw love that motivational quote, i am going to print that and stick it on my wall!!!:biggrin:

Original post by The_Blade
Congratulations!

Posted from TSR Mobile

aah, i guess I didn't make it clear enough but I got the quote from another thread -this is another person story - this keeps me motivated. I can't remember the username for the life of me! That weird motivation quote is my own though :biggrin:
And this Uchicha will try to get good grades. To me past papers are awesome but I like to make notes on the specification and then do the past papers. It's also good to read outside the subject for bio.
aah, i guess I didn't make it clear enough but I got the quote from another thread -this is another person story - this keeps me motivated. I can't remember the username for the life of me! That weird motivation quote is my own though :biggrin:
And this Uchicha will try to get good grades. To me past papers are awesome but I like to make notes on the specification and then do the past papers. It's also good to read outside the subject for bio.

ahhhh ok thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending