The Student Room Group

London Academy of Excellence 2014 Applicants

Who else has applied for LAE? I got my assessment day on the 8th (March). Anyone else got theirs on that date?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LOL Hello :smile: I'm at LAE now

Don't worry too much about the assessment day, it's nothing major. Last year, they made me do a VRT (verbal reasoning test) - something you can't revise for. Just make sure you do ALL THE QUESTIONS, even if that means guessing like the last couple.
Hi!
:smile:

I've got it on the week after 8th of March.
A lot of people got it on the 8th of March, I don't know anyone whose got it on the 16th!! :frown:

LAE's not my first choice anyway, but looking forward to it.
It might change my mind.
Reply 3
Mine is on the 22nd! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
They told me on the email that I dont have to do a Verbal Reasoning Test :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Bloom77
Hi!
:smile:

I've got it on the week after 8th of March.
A lot of people got it on the 8th of March, I don't know anyone whose got it on the 16th!! :frown:

LAE's not my first choice anyway, but looking forward to it.
It might change my mind.

There is no assessment day on the 16th, if Im not wrong. They are on the following dates;1st March, 8th March and 22nd March.
Reply 6
I know! We have a dragons den thing instead.. I would much rather prefer the verbal reasoning. It sounds a lot less daunting

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Altab
There is no assessment day on the 16th, if Im not wrong. They are on the following dates;1st March, 8th March and 22nd March.

sorry, I meant 22nd. lol, I just doubled the date, no idea why I did that.
Reply 8
Im just worried about the interview :/
Reply 9
During the summer, I was actually looking for somewhere to transfer to finish off my A-levels for my A2 year having just come out of AS. I decided to apply to the LAE as well as a list of other places so they called me in to complete an application and an interview. Soon after I completed the paper application there, they gave me the renowned "Verbal Reasoning Test".

I opened the paper... The first question was something like "What is the fourth letter of the third day of the week after Monday?" Or something along those lines. I answered it then had a look at the next few questions which were just as ridiculous, laughed to myself, stood up and left. It was totally and utterly stupid...
Reply 10
Mines also on the 8th March. It isn't my first choice but it never hurts.
Reply 11
Original post by DebkoX
Mines also on the 8th March. It isn't my first choice but it never hurts.

I wonder how many people are going to turn up, LOL by the way do you have to do a VRT exam?
Original post by Altab
I wonder how many people are going to turn up, LOL by the way do you have to do a VRT exam?

We don't have to do it.
It's just an interview and the dragons den thing.
Is the dragons den thing just trying to sell a product?
Reply 13
Original post by Bloom77
We don't have to do it.
It's just an interview and the dragons den thing.
Is the dragons den thing just trying to sell a product?

I think we make our own product in group and then present to the audience
Reply 14
I had my assessment day today and it was good. The interview was not THAT stressing, the only hard question was about the school's motto ''what to do when you don't know what to do''. The dragon's den thing was the easier part, you create your own group of 9 and we had to create an educational game for primary school children and then present infront of a panel consisting of 4 sixth formers and 1 teacher (the other groups in the back). Our group (Eton) was the best !

Now I just wait for their reply to see whether I get a conditional offer or not.
Reply 15
I also had mine yesterday. The dragons den activity was good and whilst my interview went well I got kinda annoyed. The physics teacher to my left who was conducting another interview kept intervening and making snide comments. E,g, I was told to list my favourite films, I said "Avengers" and he intervened by saying "Avengers Assemble, get the name right" even though its actually "Marvels the avengers assemble"
We also had a question asking where would we go at any time in the universe on a magic carpet. I said to see the Big Bang and he again butted in with some dull explanation before I asked "If it's magic, doesn't that mean science is irrelevant now?"
Overall though my interview went fine. The only issue is the interviewer said that it isn't for creative people. They're incredibly academic and only want the top grades. He said I suit the college. But it might not meet my demands.
Reply 16
Original post by DebkoX
The only issue is the interviewer said that it isn't for creative people. They're incredibly academic and only want the top grades. He said I suit the college. But it might not meet my demands.

I guess so, LAE is very exam focused and they focus on you getting the grades so that you can get into the universities of your choice.

Who was your interviewer btw?
Reply 17
Original post by gum1941
I guess so, LAE is very exam focused and they focus on you getting the grades so that you can get into the universities of your choice.

Who was your interviewer btw?

Asian man. Very kind, told me he was a maths teacher.
Reply 18
Original post by DebkoX
Asian man. Very kind, told me he was a maths teacher.

Ah, that'll be Mr. Chotai. He's quite inspirational. AND he's like SUPER SMART! 9 A*s at GCSE o.O He's only 25, and yet he's done so many things. (he also used to be a stockbroker at Wall Street)
All my friends said it's really fun and engaging. :smile:
Not like any other interview.
I'm excited to go to mine!

Quick Reply

Latest