The Student Room Group

A2 SCLY4 Crime and Deviance Sociology Exam June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by magicmonkey
I'll put an essay together and will post it on here tomorrow, don't worry! For now I can give you some criticisms you can make notes on-

With Green Crime the government are slow to act on it or put resources into fighting against it; this means they are not representative in official statistics. Also it can be difficult to measure because they can be hidden, there may not be noticeable victims to the crime and are often carried out in other countries where laws are less strict/no laws at all. This means it may not even be classed as a crime
State Crime- The state often justify their own actions so can it be classed as criminal behaviour? The state break laws on human rights- but is there an agreement on human rights? The state can hide their own action through their own resources like the media. This means that is isn't representative in official statistics and often people don't even know it's going on. State Crime can be difficult to measure, it relies on public and historical documents which have weaknesses and limitations. The media can cover up activity and control what information people know about- meaning they can create an ideology of it not even being a crime. It can be very expensive to convict the state of a crime because they will have more money which will give them a greater chance of winning court cases against them.

Lauren :smile:

Omg thank you!!
Original post by magicmonkey
I'll put an essay together and will post it on here tomorrow, don't worry! For now I can give you some criticisms you can make notes on-

With Green Crime the government are slow to act on it or put resources into fighting against it; this means they are not representative in official statistics. Also it can be difficult to measure because they can be hidden, there may not be noticeable victims to the crime and are often carried out in other countries where laws are less strict/no laws at all. This means it may not even be classed as a crime
State Crime- The state often justify their own actions so can it be classed as criminal behaviour? The state break laws on human rights- but is there an agreement on human rights? The state can hide their own action through their own resources like the media. This means that is isn't representative in official statistics and often people don't even know it's going on. State Crime can be difficult to measure, it relies on public and historical documents which have weaknesses and limitations. The media can cover up activity and control what information people know about- meaning they can create an ideology of it not even being a crime. It can be very expensive to convict the state of a crime because they will have more money which will give them a greater chance of winning court cases against them.

Lauren :smile:

Thank you for posting, that's really helpful! Do you have any evaluation points for globalisation and crime? Like Taylor, McMafia and glocal organization? Would be really helpful! Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gloriousgloria
I hate questions like this :frown:, and yeah I'd definitely go with that! I'd also talk about class too - create an argument that the poor are more religious (norris and inglehart existential theory) also NRMs have attracted different groups: world rejecting: working class and world affirming: middle class.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah me too! Aw thank you! Yeah that makes sense, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sigmar11
SCLY3 is easy! I don't understand people who say that it's not and that crime and deviance is easier, pha x

any predictions on what will come up? also how would you structure an 18 and 33 marker?
for crime 21 markers, realism, state crime, green crime and locality is defo predicted. for the 33 marker social policy, value freedom, modernism-postmodernism and globalisation or positivist methods as Assess the view that interpretivist methods are the most appropriate methods for researching society came up a few yrs ago. Im prayinggggggggggggggggg for social policy
wtf is the state crime topic

i hardly have any notes:frown:

is that the globalisation topic?
Reply 986
Original post by xxvine
wtf is the state crime topic

i hardly have any notes:frown:

is that the globalisation topic?

It's explaining crimes by governments, it can be linked in to globalisation :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 987
Original post by Sonwusiri95
for crime 21 markers, realism, state crime, green crime and locality is defo predicted. for the 33 marker social policy, value freedom, modernism-postmodernism and globalisation or positivist methods as Assess the view that interpretivist methods are the most appropriate methods for researching society came up a few yrs ago. Im prayinggggggggggggggggg for social policy

I really want social policy too!! It's really easy once you understand it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 988
Original post by Mzeykinns
Here you go :smile: It's a tad long, I do apologise!

Hope this helps in some way!

Thank you so much! :smile:
At least we'l be in the same boat haha i doubt theyl be up though.. I hope! Haha
Oh God I hope methods will not come up as a 33 marker. Otherwise I'm just gonna BS all the way through.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If a question asking about positivist / interpretive at methods, would you just name each of the methods they prefer and state what they each like up the contrasting methods? Like say positivist a favor structured interviews because they are reliable and representative! And then state how? Is that right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mzeykinns
They asked Marxism and Sociology as a science last year, so I reckon you could leave those out...which is great because sociology as a science is horrific! :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couldn't agree with you more. I've been looking at past exam questions and see they don't normally repeat the same topic in the 33 marker. So do you think we just need to prioritize what haven't come up and those which came up recently we can just skim through?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im already leaving out the two topics in theory which came up last year (marxism and science) is there anychance i could leave out some topics in crime and deviance or is that too risky?
Original post by Aoife Doc21
Im already leaving out the two topics in theory which came up last year (marxism and science) is there anychance i could leave out some topics in crime and deviance or is that too risky? í ½í¸”

I think it is quite risky to leave stuff out in crime and deviance but if you really need to, I would leave what came up last year, which was the media and crime and punishment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beckkkkkkky_
The predictions for crime and deviance are feminism, social policy, postmodernity (I think) but the 33 marker could also possibly be a method as it hasn't come up as a 33 marker for a while... for the 21 markers it's realism, green crime and state crime, locality and crime..

For scly3 I think there might be an ideology and science question, religion renewal and choice, probably new age as that seems to always be there and I'm hoping and praying for secularisation! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh thanks so much! I hope locality and crime comes up and ideology & science for beliefs!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 996
Original post by loularmc
Ahh thanks so much! I hope locality and crime comes up and ideology & science for beliefs!

Good luck! :smile:

sorry to butt in but what do you mean by locality and crime? which topic is that??
Reply 997
some advice please?
Is it too risky to not read over research methods at all?
I remember the general points from last year and i'm trying to focus on the big topics but is this too risky??
Original post by MBee
sorry to butt in but what do you mean by locality and crime? which topic is that??

It's crime depending on the location. Unsure of the topic but here's a website about the topic:

http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/sociology/comments/crime-and-location
Reply 999
Original post by loularmc
It's crime depending on the location. Unsure of the topic but here's a website about the topic:

http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/sociology/comments/crime-and-location

ahh i don't recognise any of this! but thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending