The Student Room Group

Is it okay if I missed one 12 marker in sociology Paper 1

I've had my exam this week. Sociology - Paper 1 and I think I did all right. Not perfect, not too bad either, just all right. I missed one question with snowball sample (simply forgot what it was) and the last 12 marker. I briefly touched upon the 12 marker, got like 5 sentences down and included 2 key terms. Maybe they'll give me 2 marks for that, very hopefully. I had extra time, and I still didn't make it in time, due to stress I got blank a couple times and before I could remember a particular term it took me some time. Do you think it is okay to not do one 4 marker and almost whole 12 marker?
Reply 1
Original post by HotaruWalkthr
I've had my exam this week. Sociology - Paper 1 and I think I did all right. Not perfect, not too bad either, just all right. I missed one question with snowball sample (simply forgot what it was) and the last 12 marker. I briefly touched upon the 12 marker, got like 5 sentences down and included 2 key terms. Maybe they'll give me 2 marks for that, very hopefully. I had extra time, and I still didn't make it in time, due to stress I got blank a couple times and before I could remember a particular term it took me some time. Do you think it is okay to not do one 4 marker and almost whole 12 marker?

Damn... That sounds pretty rough sorry to hear about all the stress! In my opinion, it could go either way. You mentioned that you think you might have done okay on the other questions? If that's the case you should've picked up quite a few marks! You are more than likely not going to be getting an A* on the paper because you did miss quite a lot of marks on the 12 marker, however if you've put something down on the page you will always have the opportunity to pick up some marks! You mentioned that you didn't make it in time despite extra time. That's a real shame but because of the fact you had extra time, maybe you will have produced some pretty good quality answers for the questions earlier in the paper from which you could pick up some decent marks! I do not study Sociology but I do take Psychology (Similiar to Sociology as it's a social science), correct me if I am wrong, there are still 3 papers in which the marks are added together and a final grade given? If this is the case, you still have 2 other papers to get decent grades on and therefore still do really well! Try not to beat yourself up too much about Paper 1 going wrong. Just focus on the others. Maybe work on timings if you struggle with them in the mean time? But overall do not worry. Grades don't define you and even if you fail, you will still be okay! Good luck with the other exams! All the best. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Josh-B-10
Damn... That sounds pretty rough sorry to hear about all the stress! In my opinion, it could go either way. You mentioned that you think you might have done okay on the other questions? If that's the case you should've picked up quite a few marks! You are more than likely not going to be getting an A* on the paper because you did miss quite a lot of marks on the 12 marker, however if you've put something down on the page you will always have the opportunity to pick up some marks! You mentioned that you didn't make it in time despite extra time. That's a real shame but because of the fact you had extra time, maybe you will have produced some pretty good quality answers for the questions earlier in the paper from which you could pick up some decent marks! I do not study Sociology but I do take Psychology (Similiar to Sociology as it's a social science), correct me if I am wrong, there are still 3 papers in which the marks are added together and a final grade given? If this is the case, you still have 2 other papers to get decent grades on and therefore still do really well! Try not to beat yourself up too much about Paper 1 going wrong. Just focus on the others. Maybe work on timings if you struggle with them in the mean time? But overall do not worry. Grades don't define you and even if you fail, you will still be okay! Good luck with the other exams! All the best. :smile:

Sociology got 2 papers. Paper 1 was Family, Education and Research Methods, next paper is Crime and Deviance and Social Stratification - I do enjoy crime and deviance though so I may do better. Someone once suggested I should plan my questions, but the thing is I don't have time. I am pretty much a slow thinker, and if I consume time by planning, I won't have enough to write the actual question. my assumption is that I got like 20-something marks on that paper, like 25-26, at least I am hopefull I got that much or more. Key terms are the worst because if you got blank and forget them, it is just a pain. I am aiming for P4 at least, i don't really mind not achieving P7 or P8, just a standard pass. Thanks for nice words, though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending