The Student Room Group

A2 SCLY4 Crime and Deviance Sociology Exam June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Annmarie123456
Is anybody hardly going over research methods and focusing mainly on theories for the 33 marker?

Like I advise everyone-try and go over as much as possible, as research method stuff could very well come up and if it does, it is without a doubt better to have done something on it than nothing at all
Original post by scjman
Like I advise everyone-try and go over as much as possible, as research method stuff could very well come up and if it does, it is without a doubt better to have done something on it than nothing at all

I'm still very confused on what to write for a question like this "assess the view that quantitative method is the most appropriate for researching society."
Should I explain and evaluate the PERVERT points? What would you include in a question like this?
Original post by Cerysthompson36
Erm we covered crime elimination theory, rational choice and administrative criminology? I don't think that's right...

I know about rational choice, but not about the other two. To be honest, I don't get the impression that it's that important to include EVERY relevant thing-on the mark scheme for one of the lower mark questions, they give a big long list of things that could be included, but say that you do not need to have it all in order to get full marks. I can tell you about the criminal underclass if you'd like (although it's possible you know about it under a different name)
Original post by thunguyen168
I'm still very confused on what to write for a question like this "assess the view that quantitative method is the most appropriate for researching society."
Should I explain and evaluate the PERVERT points? What would you include in a question like this?

Well my teacher, whenever there's a question like this, gives us this structure (though it doesn't have to be in this order)
Positivist view
Interactionist view
Realist view
Conclusion
PERVERT or PET would go into this though
Original post by scjman
I know about rational choice, but not about the other two. To be honest, I don't get the impression that it's that important to include EVERY relevant thing-on the mark scheme for one of the lower mark questions, they give a big long list of things that could be included, but say that you do not need to have it all in order to get full marks. I can tell you about the criminal underclass if you'd like (although it's possible you know about it under a different name)

Yeah if you could just tell me a bit about the underclass that would be wonderful!
Yeah if you could just tell me a bit about the underclass that would be wonderful!

Murray (1980) argues that there is the emergence of a criminal underclass. This has come into existence because of the welfare state (in his view that is) and it is defined by its culture of dependency. It should be pointed out that these aren't people who need benefits, they're just lazy sods who have it as an alternative to work. His proposal is to cut benefits to these people, thus forcing them to work. Basically, this criminal underclass would much rather commit crime than do an honest day's work. Have you also looked at situational crime prevention (things like CCTV, alarms etc.)? You might have done that under rational choice
I got 68/80 and 118/120 UMS last year, how much do I need for an A* or an A? I really wanted my A* but I literally only have 2 days to revise c&d, science exams are my priority D: Ahhhhhhhhhhhh never been so stressed in my life :frown:
Original post by scjman
Murray (1980) argues that there is the emergence of a criminal underclass. This has come into existence because of the welfare state (in his view that is) and it is defined by its culture of dependency. It should be pointed out that these aren't people who need benefits, they're just lazy sods who have it as an alternative to work. His proposal is to cut benefits to these people, thus forcing them to work. Basically, this criminal underclass would much rather commit crime than do an honest day's work. Have you also looked at situational crime prevention (things like CCTV, alarms etc.)? You might have done that under rational choice

Thanks for that, I've added Murray into my notes now, if social crime and class comes up, I'll have to thank you a million times. Also, I've done situational crime prevention but under administrative criminology!
Original post by pandabun
I got 68/80 and 118/120 UMS last year, how much do I need for an A* or an A? I really wanted my A* but I literally only have 2 days to revise c&d, science exams are my priority D: Ahhhhhhhhhhhh never been so stressed in my life :frown:

You'll need 134 UMS at A2 to get an A, that's good going haha! I need 158 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for that, I've added Murray into my notes now, if social crime and class comes up, I'll have to thank you a million times. Also, I've done situational crime prevention but under administrative criminology!

OK that's fine. We did it under New Right Realism to begin with, as NRR are very keen on it
Original post by HAnwar
I got a high B last year as well! I really want to keep it :frown:

Yeah you would get a B overall because remember SCLY4 is 60% whereas SCLY3 is only 40%. If you get a high A in SCLY4, you could even get an A overall.

Good luck in your exam!

Awww I feel you! It's so annoying :frown: I'm aiming for a B in this so it shouldn't be too hard to achieve :biggrin:
Good luck to you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there a chance of a solely methods question coming up for the 33 marker and not theory/science?
Original post by scjman
Well my teacher, whenever there's a question like this, gives us this structure (though it doesn't have to be in this order)
Positivist view
Interactionist view
Realist view
Conclusion
PERVERT or PET would go into this though

What would the realists say about research methods?

What does PET stand for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thunguyen168
What would the realists say about research methods?

What does PET stand for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Realists basically try to bridge the divide between positivists and interactionists. They will use whatever method that's suitable for what they're researching, be it quantitative or qualitative. They are more likely to use triangulation also

Practical, Ethical, Theoretical
Original post by scjman
Realists basically try to bridge the divide between positivists and interactionists. They will use whatever method that's suitable for what they're researching, be it quantitative or qualitative. They are more likely to use triangulation also

Ooooh, I never knew that either! Thank you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beckkkkkkky_
Awww I feel you! It's so annoying :frown: I'm aiming for a B in this so it shouldn't be too hard to achieve :biggrin:
Good luck to you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah it is annoying!
It should be fine to get a B.
Any predictions for Unit 4?? Crime & Deviance Anybodyyyyyy !!! :frown:
Reply 1397
what are the predictions for the 33 marker social theories please?
Original post by OhMaxine94
I hate Michael Gove with a passion, that man has no clue! Scrapping January exams when that's what we're used to. I've had to cram soooo much in my head these past two weeks, and think about it, my subjects are history, psychology and sociology which all contain loads of things to memorise and hardly any space between 'em. I feel like giving up tbh but I'm just going to do what I can

Posted from TSR Mobile

its true

its so unfair especially if people mess up in AS and have to retake. I no people can say ''well should have revised more'' but its not always the case.
Original post by scjman

You are awesome. Thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending