The Student Room Group

A2 SCLY4 Crime and Deviance Sociology Exam June 2014

Scroll to see replies

What's the likelihood of globalisation/green crimes/state crimes coming up?
Original post by gloriousgloria
Yaah :s-smilie:
and they have to do 4 exams at the end of the 2 years. Idk if we have it bad or they?

wait whats the syllabus changing to?
its says first teaching in september 2015 so i guess next year?

what will they be learning new topics?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nash96
Age and class are a sort of combination of other theories, you just have to think of what there is in other theories that can cause crime according to age and social class. Locality is basically the same, the only bit that is different is Shaw and McKay's Chicago study, if you give it a Google you'll find it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But can this came up as a single question? E.g Assess sociological explanations of class differences/age/locality in the patterns of crime (21)

Or you can only talk about this in relation to something else?
Anyone got an essay on feminism for theory and methods, I need help!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're such a babe, thank you.

One last question. Is feminist theory similar to what's being said about the social distribution of gender and crime? I feel as if they're going across similar lines.
Original post by BeccaLou29
we didn't have a text book, she just gave us loads of power points and we've done nothing on social policy

Oh right, well if you Google 'scly4 social policy' something will come up, sorry I would explain it to you here but I have so much other work to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meeka96
But can this came up as a single question? E.g Assess sociological explanations of class differences/age/locality in the patterns of crime (21)

Or you can only talk about this in relation to something else?

I don't know really, but there's probably a chance as there is with everything else so its best to prepare for it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
wait whats the syllabus changing to?
its says first teaching in september 2015 so i guess next year?

what will they be learning new topics?

I think the structure of the exam has changed more than the content. And apparently its 3 exams, with a choice between beliefs or families. Followed by education and crime which are still compulsory. I heard my teacher say something about 10 and 20 marks worth and 30 minute exams. Not to sure about this new spec tho:s-smilie:. And yeah it does begin in 2015, but I think retakes for the old spec will be available next year
Is anyone actually revising Marxism and sociology as a science for theory? I really have no time :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gloriousgloria
I think the structure of the exam has changed more than the content. And apparently its 3 exams, with a choice between beliefs or families. Followed by education and crime which are still compulsory. I heard my teacher say something about 10 and 20 marks worth and 30 minute exams. Not to sure about this new spec tho:s-smilie:. And yeah it does begin in 2015, but I think retakes for the old spec will be available next year

wow thats sound interesting and easier!

so only 3 units...that will be good! is all a levels changing or only sociology.
Original post by mollyx
Is anyone actually revising Marxism and sociology as a science for theory? I really have no time :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont. For theories I basically only revise Postmodernism, social policy, interactionism and feminism. Then just look through others briefly. I've been looking at the past papers, aqa don't really repeat topic so ...
I saw someone predict postmodernist theory for a 21 marker.. Does anyone with the A2 Webb textbook know what page it's on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chellls
I saw someone predict postmodernist theory for a 21 marker.. Does anyone with the A2 Webb textbook know what page it's on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

page 253?
Not being Funny whats the social policy question about, I know what social policy is but what do you write in the question?

Im also struggling with examples of structured interviews and laboratory experiments and self report studies ??
what do postmodernist say about crime ??
Could you specifically get asked neo-marxism as a 33 marker? also is it worth going over functionalism and new right theory?
Original post by mcfcOK123
Could you specifically get asked neo-marxism as a 33 marker? also is it worth going over functionalism and new right theory?

Marxist came up last year so I doubt it
Yeah I reckon it's best to go over everything possible
Original post by BeccaLou29
As far as I'm aware it is all the same. They view the individual in society

George Herbert Mead- elements of the self- me and I- I is the spontaneous, uncensored and rarely acted upon ideas that occur to us i.e. I hate this sociology paper, I'm going to leave the exam hall. The me is a censor to the I and rationalises your decisions i.e. I hate this exam paper, I really want to leave but I won't because I'll get no marks and everyone will look at me. The self only emerges through social interaction and role take as a child in two stages. The play stage (playing families, you see yourself as a mum or dad) and the game stage (have to view not only your own role, but your team mates and your opponents)

Erving Goffman- dramaturgical thesis- life is like a play and we it's actors. He has 6 ideas-
impression management- the idea that whilst we express ourselves we are making an impression on someone. Therefore we have to see ourselves through each other's eyes as well and manage the impression we intend to give
performance- we ask people to believe in the "performance" we play in all social interactions. in order to be convincing we have to sustained and cohesive
fronts and regions- in essence the stage. The front is the workplace where we have to put on our performance i.e. if a teacher a school. The back is where we relax i.e. at home. A region is the blur of the two i.e. a staff room in a school
if performances fail- we often feel embarrassed and can retire from our roles
role distance- our roles are not scripted and we are constantly putting our spin on things. We are more than just the role we play in society
role and power- the hierarchical organisation of institutions actively defines our roles and helps us develop our individuality

Harold Garfinkel- documentary method- we constantly analyse our lives through patterns. When an event occurs we try to analyse it in terms of other events. That way we can relay the similar information if a similar event was to occur. i.e. at AS level "omg i hate sociology I haven't revised!" at A2 level "i didn't revise last year, I will revise this year"

Howard Becker- labelling theory- need I explain this??

Hope this helped :smile:

This is fantastic thank you very, very much! :smile:
Original post by Annmarie123456
Marxist came up last year so I doubt it
Yeah I reckon it's best to go over everything possible

Ok, i might go over it briefly, as with sociology as a science.
Also do you think crime in the media will come up, or is there anything useful i can use from that area?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending