The Student Room Group

Science-heavy medical course in the UK?

As the title says- aside from Oxbridge obviously.
St Andrews is very science heavy, and it has a new 50 million pound medical school which is very nice.

The London schools are also usually pretty science heavy, as well as having great teaching hospitals.
Reply 2
Imperial, nothing for the faint hearted.

I heard that St Andrews science coverage is still iffy. Nowhere at Oxbridge, Edinburgh or London level.
Apart from Oxbridge, they're all the same
Reply 4
Imperial, UCL and Oxbridge spring to mind. There may well be others.

I disagree that they're all the same apart from Oxbridge. Some places are super big on PBL, I mean that's their main way of learning at UEA for instance! Or so I am told :P

If you want two years of pre-clinical largely patient-free hardcore dry science lectures followed by a compulsory BA/BSc on the other hand...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tcannon

I heard that St Andrews science coverage is still iffy. Nowhere at Oxbridge, Edinburgh or London level.

Edinburgh is pretty light on the science, brah.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Edinburgh is pretty light on the science, brah.

Are you an Edinbrah?

I'm applying for GEM next year and wondering the same question as everybody else in this thread. Looks like Ox, Cam, Imp and UCL are the way to go :ahee:
Original post by LimeInDaCoconut
Are you an Edinbrah?

I'm applying for GEM next year and wondering the same question as everybody else in this thread. Looks like Ox, Cam, Imp and UCL are the way to go :ahee:

I am an Edinbrah - just coming to the end of the preclinical course. Don't get me wrong, science is covered in perfectly sufficient depth to understand what's going on - you get a broad understanding of the basic sciences to medicine. There's just not much, what I'd call, "irrelevant detail". It's a very clinically oriented course. The only real bit with "irrelevant detail" is the first semester of first year - where you can happily forget most of what you learned.*
Reply 8
Original post by Tcannon

A mate who went to Edinburgh for clinical after St-Andrews reckoned the Edinburgh preclin must have been massively light on the science coverage in comparative terms.
Reply 9
I'd wager any university that forces their students to take a BSc is pretty science heavy.
Original post by Dr. Django
St. Andrews is basically biomed as they have **** all in the way of clinical facilities.

My life would be so much easier were this true.

Edit: But yes, OP; pretty much the universities with an in-built BSc (so a six-year course as standard)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Thanks so much everyone :smile:
Original post by TattyBoJangles
My life would be so much easier were this true.

Edit: But yes, OP; pretty much the universities with an in-built BSc (so a six-year course as standard)

As a note, Edinburgh currently intend to make their course a 6 year with a mandatory BSc, but the science content of the first 2 years is unlikely to change. Breaks that rule of thumb. :tongue:
As a note, Edinburgh currently intend to make their course a 6 year with a mandatory BSc, but the science content of the first 2 years is unlikely to change. Breaks that rule of thumb. :tongue:

Oh really? Didn't know that!

Any reason why? (Trying to decrease applicant numbers? :tongue:)
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Oh really? Didn't know that!

Any reason why? (Trying to decrease applicant numbers? :tongue:)

LOL. No, even though their decisions over the past year might indicate so. :lol:

I had a chat with one of the admissions committee about it, and I was told they just think it'd make better clinical students graduates to have the more rigorous academic background. I asked why they think its advantageous enough to warrant making every student do it, but I can't remember the answer I got back!
Reply 15

For which cycle of applicants is this for? :beard: Also, do they have any intentions of starting to interview candidates? :tongue:
Original post by -Neuro-
For which cycle of applicants is this for? :beard:

Not yours, and they don't know yet. Figure I was given was that it's like to be 2016 entry, but that can still change.

Also, do they have any intentions of starting to interview candidates? :tongue:

No clue, don't have any insider info there, but I expect more major shake-ups in admissions policy still to come. Pure speculation. :tongue:
Reply 17
LOL. No, even though their decisions over the past year might indicate so. :lol:

I had a chat with one of the admissions committee about it, and I was told they just think it'd make better clinical students graduates to have the more rigorous academic background. I asked why they think its advantageous enough to warrant making every student do it, but I can't remember the answer I got back!

I think that it is a good decision. I've noticed that British physicians in the last 60 years have not been as prolific with their medical discoveries as before that. I think more research focused schools are in order.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending