The Student Room Group

Angela Merkel rejects EU reform

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well this is a surprise.... :rolleyes:
Original post by Old_Simon
Lol I do not know how she has the cheek to talk about regulation and red tape. France and Germany are both notorious for both those things and have infected the whole EU project with the Continental Post Napoleonic regime of state interference.

Yeah, damn Germans with their classless society, powerful economy, better environmental record, and tendency not to elect leaders by birth. Scoundrels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Yeah, damn Germans with their classless society, powerful economy, better environmental record, and tendency not to elect leaders by birth. Scoundrels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that following a coherent industrial and social strategy since 1945 has helped.
I think that following a coherent industrial and social strategy since 1945 has helped.

Exactly, so I don't understand your complaint. The French get a disproportionately good deal and always have done since our chum de Gaulle (sp) got the ball rolling. They have more to answer for than Germany.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by AdamskiUK
The UK sulks because it gets shafted by a bunch of member states who do not contribute.

You seriously hold the belief that no trade deal would be put in place?

Even if it wasn't held by the EU as a whole, it would be held by the individual members. Think of all the services we provide, the German cars we buy, the French food we import and the financial prevalence of London. It's the hub of Europe - it's the most important city the EU has.

Their ability to negotiate individually is constraint by their commitments as Members of the EU. A trade deal would of course be put in place, but if the experience of Norway is anything to go by, a large part of it will be 'The EU has these regulations in force, enforce them yourself or face a hefty tariff barrier.'

So we'd be legislating EU laws without having any internal influence on them.

The problems with the EU need sorting; especially business ones. The French get a huge portion of the EU agricultural budget (the largest of the lot) to the detriment of the English and German farmers when arguably, it's the country that least needs it for development.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8036096.stm# has a good tool from a few years ago highlighting expenditure. We put in so much when you consider the returns - look at the Spanish regional aid finance for example. That's for 2007 which is pre-bust, forget about now when the Spaniards are severely poorly off! It's the same for their agriculture. In that infographic, we are the 4th highest contributors to the EU. Why is their such a big discrepancy in returns when we pay our due? We shouldn't have to contribute to Spanish farms or poor villages - we would be better off using the money on our own.

The problem with the EU is that we have accepted countries into the fold who are not capable of self-sustenance or even genuine productivity. We shouldn't have countries like Romania, Bulgaria, Poland, Spain, Greece or Italy in the union - they are so badly in debt with corrupt governments and uncooperative people that it's a joke that we even entertained their entry!

Your points here are compelling. I have no particular dog in the fight on that front. These are reasons that speak to me on whether we should be in the EU. It's the usual stuff about 'EU Super-State!' that makes me yawn.

The only way the EU would work in its current state is with a unified treasury and equivalent taxes set across the board. That would require unified legislation and you'd end up forming one giant new country. That's the reason the Greeks went bust - they lived a period throughout the recession practically mocking the rest of us until their bubble burst and they came crashing to the ground. They lived the high-life with low taxes and high social expenditure and when that had to stop because of the recession they started rioting in the streets.

That's not at all true. Someone may argue that the cure of the ills of the poorer countries is the creation of a single country, but there is absolutely zero chance in Hades that such an idea would get past the drawing board without considerable general public support. There hasn't been a successful union of previously foreign countries for centuries, and I don't see it changing without genuine public consent.

At least we wouldn't have to give prisoners the vote.

Yes we would. The European Court of Human Rights has nothing to do with the European Union.
Original post by gladders

That's not at all true. Someone may argue that the cure of the ills of the poorer countries is the creation of a single country, but there is absolutely zero chance in Hades that such an idea would get past the drawing board without considerable general public support. There hasn't been a successful union of previously foreign countries for centuries, and I don't see it changing without genuine public consent.

Yes we would. The European Court of Human Rights has nothing to do with the European Union.

My point about the union of the members of the EU was majorly sarcastic - I understand entirely that it would *never* happen. That's why the EU is difficult to work with - it's an idea which is essentially wrong just BECAUSE we refuse to truly form an inter-country union.

On the last point - thanks. I never knew that; I always thought that if we left the EU then we'd get to leave the EU Court.
Reply 26
My point about the union of the members of the EU was majorly sarcastic - I understand entirely that it would *never* happen. That's why the EU is difficult to work with - it's an idea which is essentially wrong just BECAUSE we refuse to truly form an inter-country union.

Sorry, I'm confused, are you saying we should leave the EU because you want it to become a superstate and you're disappointed it hasn't?

On the last point - thanks. I never knew that; I always thought that if we left the EU then we'd get to leave the EU Court.

ECHR has different origins although both are connected to the Council of Europe. We are signatories to a separate human rights treaty. As are many nations not in EU eg Russia.
Sorry, I'm confused, are you saying we should leave the EU because you want it to become a superstate and you're disappointed it hasn't?

I never said that I *WANTED* it to happen, just that it was the only feasible way that it would work. I'm not saying we should *leave* the EU, just completely restructure it. If that restructure can't occur then I guess I believe we should just... go! Walk out the door!

x>y

Country 1 adds x.
Country 2 adds y.

Country 2 gets out more than 1 by factor 1.2

It just doesn't work out for the wealthier countries, even taking in population proportions into account. There's no sense in them supporting countries such as those within Eastern Europe if they can't provide us with services or agriculture and their governments resemble Ukraine's!

The ECHR is a separate institution, however the Lisbon Treaty (2009) demands that all EU member-states are signatories to the ECHR, so to that extent, we cannot abandon the ECHR without also exiting the EU.
I want us to make a decision to stay or leave the EU, and then move on once we've made that decision. So let's have the referendum as soon as possible.
Original post by thesabbath
The ECHR is a separate institution, however the Lisbon Treaty (2009) demands that all EU member-states are signatories to the ECHR, so to that extent, we cannot abandon the ECHR without also exiting the EU.

I see.
And following that, she said what I quoted. She is setting her terms but not slamming shut the door. Of course she'd not bend over for the UK; why should she? It has to be of mutual benefit. We'd be doing the exact same thing in her shoes.

Because we won the bloody war!
Reply 33
Original post by thesabbath
Labour in their 2005 manifesto on which they were elected pledged a referendum on the EU Constitution. The Netherlands and France rejected the EU Constitution via referendums. It was then rebranded by the EU as the "Lisbon Treaty" and forced through. Ireland voted against the Lisbon Treaty and were forced to vote again until they got it right. David Cameron gave a Cast Iron Guarantee that he would hold a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty and weaselled out once elected. Nick Clegg promised a referendum and has changed his tune now in office. The EU and its supporters don't do democracy. They know we'll give the "wrong" answer by voting to leave.

Oh, pardon me for not bowing to the glorious EUSSR. There was me thinking I lived in a sovereign democratic nation, not a vassal state of a dictatorial empire.

Your assurances, like Ted Heath's lies about us joining a "common market" are worth nothing. We've just demonstrated that the EU doesn't do democracy.

As an ardent Euro-skeptic, can you just confirm to us all that if the people vote to stay then you won't support calling for another referendum until we give the correct answer?
Reply 34

Agreed. There's been very little long term planning for decades (even pre-Thatcher i would say).
Did Cameron and other Euro-sceptics honeslty believe that Merkel could offer ANY of the things that they want?

Euro-sceptics want treaty change, treaty change is not on the table, Cameron believes he is history's best negotiator and can change the minds of ALL the other member states without them wanting to add anything in to benefit themselves.

The man is ****ing delusional.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending