The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

EierVonSatan
Nothing worth doing is ever easy :nah:

My favourite avatar :love:
Heyyy okii im thinking about measuring the rate of degradation of different soil types and such. Pretty basic I know but it's for my AH and the actual chemistry is only worth one mark so I'd rather do something a little easier and jazz it up a bit and get the write up correct lol. So yes the point of my ramble can anyone think of a better way to measure the volume of CO2 by not using a syringe...preferably a kinda of more advanced way. :biggrin: xxx
lyrical_lie
Heyyy okii im thinking about measuring the rate of degradation of different soil types and such. Pretty basic I know but it's for my AH and the actual chemistry is only worth one mark so I'd rather do something a little easier and jazz it up a bit and get the write up correct lol. So yes the point of my ramble can anyone think of a better way to measure the volume of CO2 by not using a syringe...preferably a kinda of more advanced way. :biggrin: xxx

You really only have two options for collecting gas - using a syringe or an upside down measuring cylinder.

P.S. thanks Mr Snips :colondollar:
lyrical_lie

Limewater and a colorimeter? Leave the CO2 to bubble into limewater for X amount of time and then test it on a colorimeter.
EierVonSatan
You really only have two options for collecting gas - using a syringe or an upside down measuring cylinder.

P.S. thanks Mr Snips :colondollar:

Yea that's what I've written down in my method but I think there is a way to do it by titration but no idea if that's true or not and something to do with sodium hydroxide..oh and thanks btw xD xx
dangerboi2410
Limewater and a colorimeter? Leave the CO2 to bubble into limewater for X amount of time and then test it on a colorimeter.

Yea I'm using lime water to prove that CO2 is actually being produced...what's a colorimeter? I'm guessing something to do with measuring colours hahaha. I probably should know hwat it is this stage in the game haha xxx
lyrical_lie
Yea I'm using lime water to prove that CO2 is actually being produced...what's a colorimeter? I'm guessing something to do with measuring colours hahaha. I probably should know hwat it is this stage in the game haha xxx

I think. (been a while since I used one, wasn't explained well) It's a beam of light that goes through a set filter and it measures the light that comes through to the other side. You'd want to choose a filter that doesn't filter light that the sample filters (eg. blue filter on a blue sample). Actually I just thought of a problem, you can't use it for anything with solid content, so ignore this.

=[ Sorry.
Stuck doing physics for a school year now ... chemistry was way better :sadnod: And I was better at it.
Kinkerz
Stuck doing physics for a school year now ... chemistry was way better :sadnod: And I was better at it.

Physics can be fun :teeth: not A-level physics though, that sucks :borat:
EierVonSatan
Physics can be fun :teeth: not A-level physics though, that sucks :borat:

Some of it's okay I guess. The particles stuff's quite interesting, though that module is totally ruined by electricity :frown:
I find the A2 stuff hard aswell! Bad times...
Kinkerz
Some of it's okay I guess. The particles stuff's quite interesting, though that module is totally ruined by electricity :frown:
I find the A2 stuff hard aswell! Bad times...

The particle stuff is interesting! I also liked electric/magnetic/gravitational fields.

Mechanics is straight forward if you did M1 in maths, but you're right about electricity :nn:
EierVonSatan
The particle stuff is interesting! I also liked electric/magnetic/gravitational fields.

Mechanics is straight forward if you did M1 in maths, but you're right about electricity :nn:

Gravitational fields :yy:
Electric fields :nn: (struggling with it!)
Magnetic fields I haven't done yet.

I haven't done maths, but I still don't mind the mechanics. It's quite logical and you can visualise it.
Reply 1592
physics:puke:
volts and stuff:puke:

chem:love:
Further Maths is worse :s-smilie:
Reply 1594
If I have to/can do an extra subject in my first year I might ask to do physics, although they ask that you already have a higher in it (I only took it to standard grade/gcse).
Zedd
If I have to/can do an extra subject in my first year I might ask to do physics, although they ask that you already have a higher in it (I only took it to standard grade/gcse).

Check out what you cover in it. If it's mostly electricity, choose it at your peril.
Kinkerz
Check out what you cover in it. If it's mostly electricity, choose it at your peril.

:rofl: yes, choose wisely! :p:
Reply 1597
KiraMayz
Further Maths is worse :s-smilie:

I can imagine:console:
Reply 1598
All the info I can currently get on it is-
Physical Universe 1
The course lays emphasis on how a relatively few fundamental laws enable us to understand a very wide range of phenomena that occur both naturally and as a result of mankind's activities. In particular, you will see how Newton's laws of motion lets us understand a variety of linear and circular motion; how the properties of matter can be characterised and how physics can be usefully applied in the fields of planetary motion, sport, the environment and medicine. The course will also describe how some of the most important ideas in modern physics grew from unexpected observations.

12 week course - 3 one-hour lectures, 1 one-hour tutorial per week, and 1 three-hour practical session per week for 9 weeks.

1st Attempt: Final two-hour multiple choice examination (50%), completion of practical class notebook and laboratory reports (25%), tutorial sheets (12.5%), multiple choice tests during term (12.5%).

Resit: Final two-hour multiple choice examination (50%), completion of practical class notebook and laboratory reports (25%), tutorial sheets (12.5%), multiple choice tests during term (12.5%).

and
Physical Universe 2
This course enables students to learn more about the physical universe and the physical laws that explain its behaviour. The three topics covered are astronomy, the fundamentals of electricity and magnetism and generic computing skills. The astronomy section of the course, shared with PX1512, begins by showing how long held beliefs about the nature of the universe came to be changed in response to improved observation of the heavens. The revolution in our appreciation of the solar system through observations sent back by space probes over the past 30 years forms a substantial part of the lectures. The power of science in action can be seen to the full in the far reaching deductions that can be made about stars from modest observational evidence. The course discusses topics current in astronomy, such as planned space missions, the formation of planets around other stars and the origin of the Moon. The lectures on electricity and magnetism aim to clarify the tricky concepts and laws that are at the foundations of this subject. They illustrate how these ideas are made use of in applications of electricity that we now take for granted, such as the capacitative storage of electrical energy and the radiation generated by mobile phones.

12 week course - 7 one-hour lectures and 1 tutorial per fortnight and 4 two-hour practical computing sessions.

1st Attempt: 1 two-hour written examination (75%) and in-course assessment (25%). A pass in this course requires a score of CAS 9 or higher in the in-course assessment.

Resit: 1 two-hour written examination (75%) and in-course assessment (25%). A pass in this course requires a score of CAS 9 or higher in the in-course assessment.

So, yeah there is a fair chunk of electricity. What is so bad about electricity anyway? Is it like a retardation of chemistry or more difficult/different perspective?
Reply 1599
lol I love that the only time a description is stated is in the electricity sentence and a negative one at that : ''tricky''

mwuaha.

Latest