The Student Room Group

Can I self teach these subjects within 2 months?

I just wanted to know if I could self teach GCSE French and GCSE History in depth before the exams in May. For French I'm talking about the Reading and Listening exams not the speaking and writing which I have already done. Also, how long will it take me to self teach to A* standards. I've done it before with other subjects btw.
Reply 1
History is about two weeks work if that.
Reply 2
Original post by Old_Simon
History is about two weeks work if that.

Is that for both unit 1 and unit 2?
Reply 3
Original post by DazBoy
Is that for both unit 1 and unit 2?

Well if you work hard then yes.
Reply 4
What about French?
Reply 5
Much trickier proposition I would think.
Original post by DazBoy
I just wanted to know if I could self teach GCSE French and GCSE History in depth before the exams in May. For French I'm talking about the Reading and Listening exams not the speaking and writing which I have already done. Also, how long will it take me to self teach to A* standards. I've done it before with other subjects btw.

GCSE History from scratch in 2 months? Unless you are literally going to devote most waking hours of your next two months for this or you are some kind of savant, I'd say you haven't got a chance. History is quite possibly the most content heavy GCSE to take and I have absolutely no idea how you could expect to learn all of the content, nail the exam technique plus finish the coursework in 2 months. It just sounds like absolute insanity to me. There are some subjects, like English Language or Mathematics, which are skill based so as long as you're naturally gifted in that skill, you can learn all the content and exam technique quickly. But History? Absolutely not. Ignore the guy saying you can study GCSE History in two weeks: you can't.

With French, it depends on how much you already know. If you've done the speaking and writing exams to an A* standard then there's a good chance you already know most of the vocab so I'd say yes, you probably can.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Chlorophile
GCSE History from scratch in 2 months? Unless you are literally going to devote most waking hours of your next two months for this or you are some kind of savant, I'd say you haven't got a chance. History is quite possibly the most content heavy GCSE to take and I have absolutely no idea how you could expect to learn all of the content, nail the exam technique plus finish the coursework in 2 months. It just sounds like absolute insanity to me. There are some subjects, like English Language or Mathematics, which are skill based so as long as you're naturally gifted in that skill, you can learn all the content and exam technique quickly. But History? Absolutely not. Ignore the guy saying you can study GCSE History in two weeks: you can't.

With French, it depends on how much you already know. If you've done the speaking and writing exams to an A* standard then there's a good chance you already know most of the vocab so I'd say yes, you probably can.

I've done my history coursework already and got an A* in it. All of my French coursework was also A*. With History how long do you think it would take if I did a bit everyday? I'm really good at absorbing and memorising information quickly.
I've managed to condense History down to about ten pages. With really tiny writing. And about thirty pages of proper notes. You could try but to be honest, I wouldn't recommend it. And French would be a lot harder. 1393774724756.jpg
These are some of my notes. I have about fifteen double pages like these.
There are also specific things to learn such as:
1393774791703.jpg
I don't know what exam board you would use but I do AQA and it requires Controlled Assessment as well . . . Plus, you need to practise LOADS of past papers.
Hope I helped. If you want to ask me anything, go ahead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you've done the coursework, how come you aren't taking the GCSE? As in why would you have to self-teach it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
With French you should be able to. You can get vocabulary lists which contains practically every word that can come up. Memorise it and you're good to go. No one really revises for reading and listening.
I don't do history so I wouldn't know. If it's anything like Geography then it's quite possible.
Reply 11
Original post by Edminzodo
I've managed to condense History down to about ten pages. With really tiny writing. And about thirty pages of proper notes. You could try but to be honest, I wouldn't recommend it. And French would be a lot harder. 1393774724756.jpg
1393774791703.jpg
I don't know what exam board you would use but I do AQA and it requires Controlled Assessment as well . . . Plus, you need to practise LOADS of past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I've got the AQA internal relations and the depth studies books and that is supposed to have all the details in it. Unit 1 is about 60 pages and unit 2 is about the same. I understand what you're saying about the time constraints but if I did about 5 pages a day, wouldn't I be able to do it in time? The reason I have to self teach is because I haven't really put much effort into History over the duration of the course.
What's your exam board for French? If you google your exam board and type in french specification, when you click on it and scroll down a bit, you'll find a list of all the words which will ever come up in your exam, you can then make flash cards of all of them and cram the meanings, that way, you'll develop a full understanding of all the vocab which will be in your reading and listening tests :smile:
Original post by Edminzodo
1393774791703.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woah, how did you get it down to 15 pages? Mine take up a whole notebook
Reply 14
Original post by Nerdypants98
What's your exam board for French? If you google your exam board and type in french specification, when you click on it and scroll down a bit, you'll find a list of all the words which will ever come up in your exam, you can then make flash cards of all of them and cram the meanings, that way, you'll develop a full understanding of all the vocab which will be in your reading and listening tests :smile:

I'm on AQA. My teacher printed out the vocab list and put it into a little booklet for us. I've also got a revision guide :smile:
So a guy can do 12 GCSEs in one year but if he decides to do an extra one it takes two months ?
Reply 16
Original post by DazBoy
I've done my history coursework already and got an A* in it. All of my French coursework was also A*. With History how long do you think it would take if I did a bit everyday? I'm really good at absorbing and memorising information quickly.

I got an A in GCSE history and an A* in unit 1 (OCR) I started revising for about 2/3 hours a day starting in early march-ish. History is a S**T ton of work though - but I think it's easily doable in 2 months.

Quick Reply

Latest