The Student Room Group

Becoming a doctor in Canada...

Not completely sure if this is the right sub-forum but I have a quick question. How exactly would an international student study medicine in Canada and qualify and how would a qualified UK doctor move to say Montreal and practice? I know the courses are very different and there are some tests etc. but which method is quicker and has the higher chance of actually 'succeeding' in acquiring a job?

Thanks
~Nero
Reply 1
Moved to medicine as you're more likely to get a decent answer here :smile:
Do your degree where you want to work. When you have decided then research on the schools you want to apply to and how you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Actually in your case, it is better to do your medicine degree in the UK. Canada is a super closed country for medicine.

First off you need to do an undergraduate degree before applying to medical school. Even if you did your undergraduate degree in Canada, without Canadian citizenship you are limited to maybe about 20 spots in the whole country for internationals in medicine(believe me they are unbelievably competitive). To apply for residency training, you still need to be a Canadian citizen, so all in all, its a nearly impossible endeavor.

Its easier to just do all your training in the UK and then decide if you want to move. That way, if you decide not to move you can practice in the UK. If by that time you do want to move, Canada will welcome you with open arms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending