The Student Room Group

University is too hard

Hi,

I am at university studying computing and i have to say its way too hard for me. I have a disease called galactosemia and it affects the brain, buts its very rare and complicated but google has info on it. Anyway its proven to mess up the brain.

i want to do youth work when im older in a religious retreat centre, that's what i want to do as a job.

that's the info, what fo I do 😞 please no mean comments.
Reply 1
Why did you go to university for computing?
How are your grades?
Is it combined with homesickness at all?

I think if you are sure that you don't want to have anything to do with your degree in the future, and if your grades are visibly suffering as a result of your struggles with the work, and if isn't solely an issue of homesickness - leave. What are the reasons for you to stay? There is no point stressing for three years if you honestly think it is too hard - particularly if you're in first year, as it may only get harder. But I think you just have to look at the factors. If it really is an inherent inability to connect with your degree and understand the work, achieve well with it, don't waste your time and money with something you already know you don't want to use in the future.

Your university will have a careers department, I think you should consider talking to them, or the university counselor, about these issues. It would be best to talk to someone in person who is set up for this discussion as opposed to strangers on the internet. You don't want to make any rash decisions, but you also don't want to be told to just 'suck it up' or something, I'm sure.
Original post by gandall
Hi,

I am at university studying computing and i have to say its way too hard for me. I have a disease called galactosemia and it affects the brain, buts its very rare and complicated but google has info on it. Anyway its proven to mess up the brain.

i want to do youth work when im older in a religious retreat centre, that's what i want to do as a job.

that's the info, what fo I do 😞 please no mean comments.

Edge Hill has a degree in Childhood and Youth Studies. Why are you torturing yourself with computing, when you could study what you want to do?
Reply 3
Original post by awe
Why did you go to university for computing?
How are your grades?
Is it combined with homesickness at all?

I think if you are sure that you don't want to have anything to do with your degree in the future, and if your grades are visibly suffering as a result of your struggles with the work, and if isn't solely an issue of homesickness - leave. What are the reasons for you to stay? There is no point stressing for three years if you honestly think it is too hard - particularly if you're in first year, as it may only get harder. But I think you just have to look at the factors. If it really is an inherent inability to connect with your degree and understand the work, achieve well with it, don't waste your time and money with something you already know you don't want to use in the future.

Your university will have a careers department, I think you should consider talking to them, or the university counselor, about these issues. It would be best to talk to someone in person who is set up for this discussion as opposed to strangers on the internet. You don't want to make any rash decisions, but you also don't want to be told to just 'suck it up' or something, I'm sure.

I did computing because its the only thing i could do, or so I thought I could. My grades, well I have a few assignments to do but they are way too hard and when things get too hard like this i attempt them, stress out and then end up not doing them.
I live at home.
Reply 4
Original post by nulli tertius
Edge Hill has a degree in Childhood and Youth Studies. Why are you torturing yourself with computing, when you could study what you want to do?

I should have picked that
Original post by gandall
I should have picked that ������

Why don't you see the university about pulling out and re-starting next year doing that?
Reply 6
Original post by nulli tertius
Why don't you see the university about pulling out and re-starting next year doing that?

Funding only lasts so long and I have already had my 1st year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending