The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Best accommodation to pick at uni of reading

Hey guys,

About to pick my accommodation choices for reading next year and I'm still a bit stuck :/

The main thing I want is social halls, where its easy to make friends and people are up for going out and stuff, dont want to be one of those unlucky people who end up with flatmates who barely show their face, feel like it would put a downer on the whole uni experience.

Its hard to see from previous threads what halls have the best reputation for being the most social ones, lots say mackinder/childs/stenton are the ones to go for, but these are seriously expensive and others say there not as good. I've also heard wessex is the best one, which is cheap and doesn't have an en-suite - from experience whats the best to go for?

I'm thinking of putting bridges as my first option and then mackinder/stenton as my next options, im not to bothered about prices or if its en suite or not, just want to put the right options down!

I went to windsor its catered but it was mad. You could go out basically every night if you'd wanted, and there's alot of people living down every corridor so chances are you'll make at least a couple of friends on your corridor alone. They have a bar/canteen just outside where you go for meals and can go to in the evenings for a drink. I think a pint only costs like £1.50.

Good luck!
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by sarahcraig1
Hey guys,

About to pick my accommodation choices for reading next year and I'm still a bit stuck :/

The main thing I want is social halls, where its easy to make friends and people are up for going out and stuff, dont want to be one of those unlucky people who end up with flatmates who barely show their face, feel like it would put a downer on the whole uni experience.

Its hard to see from previous threads what halls have the best reputation for being the most social ones, lots say mackinder/childs/stenton are the ones to go for, but these are seriously expensive and others say there not as good. I've also heard wessex is the best one, which is cheap and doesn't have an en-suite - from experience whats the best to go for?

I'm thinking of putting bridges as my first option and then mackinder/stenton as my next options, im not to bothered about prices or if its en suite or not, just want to put the right options down!

**Please note, this account is being used by Student Ambassadors at the University of Reading**

Hey!
I've just graduated from Reading and I thought I'd give you my input...
I was in the cheapest hall (Sibly, it no longer exists), and had an amazing time. It was shared bathroom, non-catered, and open plan-which meant you could meet anyone in the hall. This worked for me really well!
Saying that, there's a couple questions I'd recommend you ask yourself...
1) Do I want to share a loo? (if you don't you have to clean your own)
2) Do I want to be catered?
3) Do I want to be in flats? (it sounds like it might be better for you if you aren't, but flats aren't isolated-there's definitely still a hall identity)
These will narrow down your options pretty significantly!
Does that help a bit?
Anja
English Lit and International Relations
Reply 3
I went for Bridges Hall. Is it okay?
Reply 4
HEY for any of you who are coming to Reading, I have a guaranteed room in MACKINDER HALLS on campus that I no longer need. Self catered Premium Ensuite room right next to Park Bar! If any of you want the room, PLEASE let me know ASAP!
A link about Mackinder is here: http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/accomm...nder-Hall.aspx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending