The Student Room Group

C4 Edexcel hardest questions

Please post below the hardest questions in C4 Edexcel that you have experience. :biggrin:
Also, please state the source it is from if possible.
And finally, please no attempts to answer the questions unless asked by a member. :smile:

Goodluck to all! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zenarthra

sec3x dx\displaystyle \int \sec^3 x \text{ d}x
Reply 2
Original post by Khallil

Thanks for posting!
Reply 3
Original post by Khallil

I did it, but I confess I used BIG help. I got stuck and then found a fairly neat trick:colone: which I doubt I'd recognise from before. Thanks though, it helped me a lot, I didn't know that trick before. Very neat indeed!:smile:

Spoiler

Original post by Khallil

Very nice! I always like the ones where you use IBP and end up adding the integral to the other side and dividing. :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by majmuh24
Very nice! I always like the ones where you use IBP and end up adding the integral to the other side and dividing. :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used a substitution :colone: was doing it late at night though so now I need to evaluate my integral in terms of u
Original post by Robbie242
I used a substitution :colone: was doing it late at night though so now I need to evaluate my integral in terms of u

Hmm, I've never been a fan of trig substitutions unless absolutely necessary. Did you use the tangent half angle sub (also known as the Weierstrass sub) by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hmm, I've never been a fan of trig substitutions unless absolutely necessary. Did you use the tangent half angle sub (also known as the Weierstrass sub) by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah I'm a noob, I did a u=tanx substiution and got my integral down to I=(1+u2)12duI=\displaystyle\int (1+u^{2})^{\frac{1}{2}} du but struggling to evaluate this xD
Nah I'm a noob, I did a u=tanx substiution and got my integral down to I=(1+u2)12duI=\displaystyle\int (1+u^{2})^{\frac{1}{2}} du but struggling to evaluate this xD

Try it the IBP way by splitting it up and use some trig identities, I think you've overcomplicated it. You could cheat and use a reduction formula, but that's not C4 stuff (and it involves the IBP method anyway :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Try it the IBP way by splitting it up and use some trig identities, I think you've overcomplicated it. You could cheat and use a reduction formula, but that's not C4 stuff (and it involves the IBP method anyway :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I have, checked wolfram alpha and then started using hyperbolic sin in their answer haha! I'll try IBP thanks
I think I have, checked wolfram alpha and then started using hyperbolic sin in their answer haha! I'll try IBP thanks

:eek4:

I think that involves some Pythagoras and reduction formulae for hyperbolic functions as well, so maybe not the way to go :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
:eek4:

I think that involves some Pythagoras and reduction formulae for hyperbolic functions as well, so maybe not the way to go :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I did it by IBP

I got this

Spoiler

Haha I did it by IBP

I got this

Spoiler

Yep, looks good! :thumbsup:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Evaluate the integral
\displaystyle\int x^3 \sqrt{1-x^2}

If you want a hint, PM/quote me. :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Evaluate the integral
\displaystyle\int x^3 \sqrt{1-x^2}

If you want a hint, PM/quote me. :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, this one was rather fun. I went down a dead end at first, but a different path proved successful, not as hard as sec^3 x though.

Spoiler

Where do you get these from though? They're a nice challenge. :smile:
Original post by Glavespian
Thanks, this one was rather fun. I went down a dead end at first, but a different path proved successful, not as hard as sec^3 x though.

Spoiler

Where do you get these from though? They're a nice challenge. :smile:

From my 'Understand Calculus' book. It makes a very interesting read if you want to find out why and how calculus works and learn higher level concepts like Maclaurin series and arc length using calculus.

The book uses a substitution of 1+x2\sqrt{1+x^2} instead and also gives an alternative method using a trig sub of u=sin(x).

Try this one - Evaluate the integral

arctan(x)dx\displaystyle\int arctan(x) \: dx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Khallil

Nice anime gif :colone:

Yep, IBP was the way to go :tongue:

How about this one :

Show that 3x2+8x2+2\dfrac{3x^2+8}{x^2+2} is of the form a+bx2+2a+\dfrac{b}{x^2+2}

Hence or otherwise, prove that 3<3x2+8x2+24is true xR3 < \dfrac{3x^2+8}{x^2+2} \leq 4 \: \text{is true} \ \forall x \in \mathbb R
(edited 10 years ago)
Nice anime gif :colone:

Yep, IBP was the way to go :tongue:

How about this one :

Show that 3x2+8x2+2\dfrac{3x^2+8}{x^2+2} is of the form a+bx2+2a+\dfrac{b}{x^2+2}

Hence or otherwise, prove that 3<3x2+8x2+24xR3 < \dfrac{3x^2+8}{x^2+2} \leq 4 \: \forall x \in \mathbb R

That is one heck of a nice question!

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Khallil
That is one heck of a nice question. A routine long division smacks the first part for 6.

Damn it Khallil, you're ruining me!

Let me get another one :colone:

P.S. Spoiler your solutions in case someone else wants to do them :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending