The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sophsha
I dont understand why, we need more girls doing these jobs, also the ratio of boys to girls puts me off.

Why would you let the ratio put you off? :colone:

The men of TSR think women have it easy finding guys in the real world, wait until they clock how easy it is for women in the sciences/engineering world. Jesus, it's like shooting fish in a barrel (which is reportedly very easy).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Viva Emptiness

The men of TSR think women have it easy finding guys in the real world, wait until they clock how easy it is for women in the sciences/engineering world. Jesus, it's like shooting fish in a barrel (which is reportedly very easy).

Are you trying to make TSR implode or something?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Are you trying to make TSR implode or something?

If that happened I'd be forced to see what's outside these four walls/my drawn curtains.

So no.
If that happened I'd be forced to see what's outside these four walls/my drawn curtains.

So no.

Well if there's one thing these forums don't need it's more dam feminism threads. Sheesh.

Also, I thought you had a job :tongue:

The science of shooting fish in a barrel. Mythbusters style :smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd-MpXCMcIs
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cah846
I actually slightly agree. I'm a girl (surprise surprise) who's applied for MPhys this year, and I'm sick of being the only girl on the visit days. Please, we need more intelligent girls!!

You just called all the girls that don't do a MPhys or a science degree non-intelligent.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Red one
Why?

That question is meaningless. Why do guys enjoy science degrees? Why do people enjoy what they enjoy? :rolleyes:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Well if there's one thing these forums don't need it's more dam feminism threads. Sheesh.

Also, I thought you had a job :tongue:

The science of shooting fish in a barrel. Mythbusters style :smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd-MpXCMcIs

I do have a job, but whilst I'm here I like to pretend I'm back home in my darkened room.
I do have a job, but whilst I'm here I like to pretend I'm back home in my darkened room.

Truly you are living the dream.
Because they're boring
Original post by miser
I think men are simply more likely than women to prefer technical fields. I would imagine it is a consequence of differing evolutionary selective pressures for each gender, but it's probably also to a degree cultural.

There is a danger in making up an evolutionary "story" to fit your explanation for an observation.

There is no conclusive evidence in the neurobiology of women and men to support sex differences in technical vs non-technical fields.

However, there at least one study that suggests that culture does have a significant influence on the performance of an individual in cognitive tests.
Original post by thechemistress
No, don't let it put you off! xD Science is awesome (Well, Chemistry and Physics)

OP, I surprisingly know a lot of girls thinking of going for maths, comp sci, physics and chemistry- over a third of my year. This leads me to the conclusion that it is the environment that girls are in. I go to an all-girls' grammar school, so I think this is why there's never this element of certain subjects being 'for girls' or 'for boys'.. We just do what we want to do, which I think is awesome :biggrin:
I'm personally a hopeful chemist (and physicist), so I think it's sad that in my (potential) future job, I'm going to be vastly outnumbered by males. I think that if, in schools, there was more of this idea of letting people know that they can do what they want to do, there'd be less of this idea of subjects for boys and for girls. I blame the government (everything is the government's fault :wink: )

Why does this matter? Ethnic minorities don't care that they'll be outnumbered on their courses, gay people don't mind that the majority of people will be straight. Honestly, I don't understand why the ratio of males:females on the course matters (apart from being able to find a bf/gf, but the way the ratio is in physics/chemistry that's very much in your favour - and it's not like you have to date exclusively within your course anyway).
I used to love science, especially physics, but all of my teachers were incompetent and my school only allowed you to take Double Award science. Since I found the humanities much easier because my memory isn't very good, I decided to take those subjects at A-Level.
To some extent, I regret that I haven't pursued further study in STEM subjects, but there is nothing stopping me learning about physics (which I find particularly fascinating) outside of formal education.
You're a cheeky little chappy, aren't you?

lol how could you tell ? You been stalking my posts or something :biggrin:
Original post by ClickItBack
Why does this matter? Ethnic minorities don't care that they'll be outnumbered on their courses, gay people don't mind that the majority of people will be straight. Honestly, I don't understand why the ratio of males:females on the course matters (apart from being able to find a bf/gf, but the way the ratio is in physics/chemistry that's very much in your favour - and it's not like you have to date exclusively within your course anyway).

I agree with your post in general but the bit I've bolded I really don't agree with. I have seen endless threads on here of people saying things like 'are there many ethnics at X uni so I don't feel so uncomfortable', there are schemes to get more ethnic people into certain jobs etc... but I agree I don't see why anyone cares that much if girls don't do these degrees, I study law and at least half are girls so it's not like we're all thick, maybe we just find it more boring than men do.
Original post by matthewduncan
lol how could you tell ? You been stalking my posts or something :biggrin:

I keep an eye on everything going on round 'ere :nothing:
I did Econ because I wanted to do something both highly boring, and more or less useless in the real world. But I was too embarrassed to do an arts degree.

Don't know what economics you're studying love, because it actually overall explains how the world works more so than any other subject, in terms of how humans interact. Everyone knows the financial system via capitalism runs the world, not politicians - and you learn about that through economics.
Original post by Oschene23
Don't know what economics you're studying love, because it actually overall explains how the world works more so than any other subject, in terms of how humans interact. Everyone knows the financial system via capitalism runs the world, not politicians - and you learn about that through economics.

Alright mate, I'll go easy on you as apparently you're 19, which is adorable. All of those things you mentioned are broadly true - however, all that is worth the grand sum of **** all once you leave university (unless you go on to have the job title "Economist" and sometimes during University Challenge).

Come back in a few years and tell me how useful your degree has been in terms of the actual career you ended up in.
Original post by Oschene23

Nah, you're thinking of physics/maths mate.

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
Original post by infairverona
I agree with your post in general but the bit I've bolded I really don't agree with. I have seen endless threads on here of people saying things like 'are there many ethnics at X uni so I don't feel so uncomfortable', there are schemes to get more ethnic people into certain jobs etc... but I agree I don't see why anyone cares that much if girls don't do these degrees, I study law and at least half are girls so it's not like we're all thick, maybe we just find it more boring than men do.

Supposing guys chose their degree courses on the basis of the numbers of hot girls doing that subject ? They would all end up doing psychology and history. The presence or absence of other sexes on a course should not really influence the career choice. We have had a woman pilot/astronaut commanding the Space Shuttle. I bet she didn't mind being "outnumbered".
Original post by ClickItBack

No, I meant sad in the sense that it reflects how little girls do chemistry/physics.

I certainly don't mind being outnumbered by guys :wink:

Latest