The Student Room Group

One crucial piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
If you put in 100% in your GCSE's, put in 200% in your A-levels. Whatever worked for GCSEs won't always work for A-levels.
Do the subjects you enjoy the most, as you're more likely to commit to and get the best grades in subjects you are interested in and enjoy. Once started, keep on top of revision. Both AS and A2 years fly by and making revision notes along the way is helpful and means you aren't in a panic to make them at the end of the year, or trying to re learn everything from modules you haven't looked at in months! Be organised and interested in what you are doing, and you'll be fine :smile:
Never become complacent, if you become complacent in A-Levels, your work rate will decrease, however your ambition will remain the same, and thus with a depleted work rate you will still be aiming for that quality university you always wanted to go to, and you will be massively disappointed with the outcome.

Failing to plan is planning to fail.
Work hard and do the hard ones, you never know if you'll fancy changing careers in the future!!! Take education whilst it's "free" as it's expensive later!
I can't put enough emphasis on the old stalwart of keeping your notes organised right from the start of the year. I took four AS levels and GCSE Latin last year and I have to say that I didn't always follow these rule, but I wish I had. It just makes your exams so much less stressful if you know where all your notes and revision materials are and you don't waste your precious revision time tearing through your folder.

P.S. Another sneaky add-on to this advice, I would recommend that you have a separate ring-binder for each subject that you use on a day-to-day basis, with a lever arch file (with file dividers, they are life savers) for each subject's notes that you keep at home, transferring your old notes over as you cease to need them in lessons, so you don't have to drag all your notes around with you everyday. It's saved me from many, many pulled muscles in my back and shoulders from lugging around an unnecessarily heavy bag.
Don't be scared to talk to your teachers (they're not the same as secondary school teachers) if you're struggling! They have seen the same situation thousands of times before, they will find a solution before its too late.
Quit and do a BTEC instead

Spoiler

Make sure you get enough sleep each night! It's no use staying up really late to finish homework if you are going to be so tired that you don't understand anything in lessons the next day. If you get to the stage where you have to do homework late at night because you have too much on or too much due in on one day etc speak to your teachers! Apologise, tell them that you just didn't have time to do it because you were so busy! Usually they will understand and cut you a bit of slack, provided you don't do it often!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you feel as though you have to resit exams after the first results day - only pick a maximum of 2, january exams are always the easiest, focus on the harder ones! Do not let them pile up - you'll become grey haired quickly.
Reply 189
More than 50% of people doing sciences fail.
So in chem, biology and physics you will not see more than half your class next year.
And free periods are not actually free. Use them to revise.
Work hard from the beginning and revise as you go along, it saves a lot of stress when it comes to the summer exams!
Reply 191
Make revision notes as soon as you start your subjects so you do not find there is too much to do later on. Also, try to figure out what revision techniques work best for you early on, so then you can stick to it without struggling to find ways to learn the content later on.
Reply 192
They're completely different to GCSEs. I am in yr 13, about to go to Uni. I've only just figured out how to succeed and it literaly involves REVISION. Makes study maps and short notes from everything and just learn them over and over. It's pretty much the only way.

There is no cheat code available!
You don't want to over work yourself, so think it all through and if necessary, drop a subject if it gets too much for you :smile: Oh and don't leave all your revision to the last minute :smile:
Reply 194
Choose your subjects wisely based on what you want to do in the future or what you want to study at Uni and not that it is easier, as those subjects will be the key to the door of the course you want to do or the job you want to get.
NEVER ever think you have plenty time to hand assignments in as next thing you no its the due date. Tutors give you time for a reason so USE IT
Make sure your choice of subjects is clear and in line with your desired career(which you should have an idea about). Then make sure you read all your data and get as many revision aids/past exams as possible. Don't worry too much though :biggrin:
Reply 197
There is just one thing to remember with A-levels YOU CAN DO IT! It will be hard, and at times incredibly annoying but it will also be one of the best times of your lives. Just belive in yourself and your abilitys and you will be fine. Nobody can ask more of you than your best! I would wish you all good luck, but you dont need it xxx
Reply 198
Choose subjects that you really enjoy - you are only taking 3 or 4 subjects and studying in depth so don't spend two years being miserable - and really organise your time and work. It is different from GCSE and you need to be self winding. Go on....you can do it!!
If your exam seems easy, you're probably doing it wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest