Original post by Катя
January modules no longer exist.

They do in Wales :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LibbyG
They do in Wales :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to move to Wales now:biggrin:
Don't do maths A Level just because you got an A/A* at GCSE, it's really not the same, and there are plenty of people that got A* at GCSE and can't hack it at A Level. You've got to really enjoy maths AND enjoy the challenge that it brings. And you've got to be prepared to work through your confusion an keep on going for the long haul.

But, if you enjoy the challenge, really enjoy doing maths, but can't stand the idea of doing Further Maths as well, rethink at least, research. That's my big mistake, and the thing is, everyone told me to think about it but I didn't.

But then again, don't dwell too much on your mistakes.
Original post by FlyHigh_er
Don't do maths A Level just because you got an A/A* at GCSE, it's really not the same, and there are plenty of people that got A* at GCSE and can't hack it at A Level. You've got to really enjoy maths AND enjoy the challenge that it brings. And you've got to be prepared to work through your confusion an keep on going for the long haul.

I cannot stress this enough. I got an A* at IGCSE with great ease, but A-level Maths was quite different. It really does require commitment.

But, if you enjoy the challenge, really enjoy doing maths, but can't stand the idea of doing Further Maths as well, rethink at least, research. That's my big mistake, and the thing is, everyone told me to think about it but I didn't.

But then again, don't dwell too much on your mistakes.

Original post by Катя
I cannot stress this enough. I got an A* at IGCSE with great ease, but A-level Maths was quite different. It really does require commitment.

Tbf you'll never know how you cope until you at least try it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Катя

Many of my friends were the same as well, GCSE was all about learning the formulas and understanding where to implement them, but A Level is more about understanding why variables work as they do. You enjoy it though? :smile:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Tbf you'll never know how you cope until you at least try it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but you don't want to make too many mistakes, especially with no jan exams now, plus, maths is one of those ones where if you're just not good at A Level maths, you're just not good and it's hard to work with. people are good at different things but some subjects are easier to improve in.
Many of my friends were the same as well, GCSE was all about learning the formulas and understanding where to implement them, but A Level is more about understanding why variables work as they do. You enjoy it though? :smile:

I quit and switched to Econ :tongue: that said, I genuinely did find it interesting. Just...not interesting enough.

In retrospect, I wish I'd kept it up. Maybe I'll do it at AS next year or something.
Original post by Катя
I quit and switched to Econ :tongue: that said, I genuinely did find it interesting. Just...not interesting enough.

In retrospect, I wish I'd kept it up. Maybe I'll do it at AS next year or something.

Ah, I wish I'd done that with biology to FM, economics is a nice switch though, it's not nearly as much thinking in a sense. dont stress yourself with that unless you want to do a tough science at uni, theres no jan exams. unless you know you'll put in a lot of work. I find A2 econ easier than AS so if you find that as well, maybe it could be okay. :smile:
Ah, I wish I'd done that with biology to FM, economics is a nice switch though, it's not nearly as much thinking in a sense. dont stress yourself with that unless you want to do a tough science at uni, theres no jan exams. unless you know you'll put in a lot of work. I find A2 econ easier than AS so if you find that as well, maybe it could be okay. :smile:

You think? I find A-Level Maths easier going than A-Level Econ even though I'm going on to study Econ at uni. What board are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
You think? I find A-Level Maths easier going than A-Level Econ even though I'm going on to study Econ at uni. What board are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm naturally good at maths so I find it easier, but in terms of thinking, maths takes more thought process, econ at A Level is really laid back at A2, I don't have to take notes in class. That said, AS multiple choice is the one thing that kept me from the A. For maths edexcel, econ aqa.

Posted from TSR Mobile
my advice would be to focus on what you DONT know rather than what you feel you know. Trust me on this!
Reply 692
DO NOT FAIL AS-LEVEL...this is from a person who is in deep **** right now trying to cope with extra resits..that kind of stress is just gonna ruin you
Revise in your frees periods at the library not with friends as you will certainly procastanate.
Ask teachers for help when you do not understand topics even if you are shy and embarrased that the question would be silly.
Go over past paper questions from january for all your subjects.
Revise earlier and remember that friends come and go and cut back on the tsr usage because that is my main enemy durring the easter holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 694
Try spending some time out to look at what courses at uni you'll be potentially interested in/ career paths. Then work backwards from there ensuring the A-levels you take now will allow you to have all the pre-requisites for then.

For example I'm taking physical natsci (phys/chem/maths) and had wished that I'd done f maths as it'd make my first year at uni just that little bit more stress free. Luckily that wasn't major and hasn't stopped me doing the course I wanted to go for, but I know of people who've limited themselves because of this.
Reply 695
Work hard but keep a balance - it will all be worth it in the end, and it will keep you stress free! Make a timetable!
If you're subject includes coursework that is first marked by your teacher, get on their good side. Pester them with additional work, be lively in class discussions, make sure they know that you care a lot about their subject. If you have a good relationship with that teacher, they are more likely to ask you questions in class, which will put you on the spot and force you to think even more, and they will probably end up giving you the benefit of the doubt in your coursework - which could mean one or two additional marks you otherwise wouldn't have had.
Reply 697
Don't spend your frees playing Monopoly.
Original post by Silver Arrows
Don't get a part time job.

I had a part time job while doing a-levels and i turned out fine.
Its all about organising your time.
Original post by Emma:-)
I had a part time job while doing a-levels and i turned out fine.
Its all about organising your time.

I suppose it depends on how many hours you do. I did 21 hours, which is around half a fulltime working week. I just ran out of hours in the week.

Quick Reply

Latest