The Student Room Group

One crucial piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Silver Arrows
I suppose it depends on how many hours you do. I did 21 hours, which is around half a fulltime working week. I just ran out of hours in the week.

I did 15-20 hours a week, all the way through doing my a-levels at 6th form and then doing a different course at college. I found that as long as i organised my time, i was fine. But i suppose its all about the person and how you organise your time. And what subjects/courses you do of course- as some subjects/courses naturally take up more of your time.
Reply 701
Original post by Dylank
DO NOT pick English Literetature and English language unless you are willing to write 4 pieces of 1500 words coursework and then have a 2 hour and 3 hour exam.

Thanks man! Was considering doing english but does has persuaded me not to!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are unsure about what you want to do after A Levels, take a mixture of subjects- if you are leaning towards humanities subjects, take a science/maths (if you feel you could cope) so that you do not reduce your options and rule yourself out of things. :smile:
Original post by OHNOGEM
What subjects do you do? I think it's easy to jump grades in science/maths even after failing unit tests, but maybe not the case for others?

I do two sciences (biology/physics), maths and media. Like I said, it may be the case for you to jump grades, but it certainly hasn't been for me
Reply 704
Original post by Follett
Thanks man! Was considering doing english but does has persuaded me not to!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its all good, I hope you choose some other good A-levels such as Critical thinking and general studies
Make sure you keep ORGANISED. Especially coursework, you do not want to be held back by that when exam period comes as it will take you away from revision. Coursework is easy points in the bag to achieving the results you want.
Reply 706
Hi all,

If there is one thing about A levels, apart from revision constantly, is that do not panic!!! It is a struggle at first but it soon becomes relaxing and a good experience. Plus it gives you something worthwhile to do. You must stay positive and revise in order to feel confident. NEVER BE AFRAID TO GET HELP FROM A TEACHER, PARENT OR A SIXTH-FORMER!!!! Anyone can succeed. Find ways which help you learn and make sure you take subjects that you know are enjoyable and you can do.

Izzy:smile:
One thing I've found, that the higher up you go in Maths, the more creativity is needed to solve problems. At this stage, it becomes less remembering facts, but by coming up with unique solutions to answers. This is maybe why you may feel like you didn't learn something in class. Learn how to apply your knowledge to these types of questions quickly, as otherwise you will probably find them quite challenging in the exam. Best of luck :smile:
Think really carefully about what you want to do.

The most popular subject may not be the right one for you..
1. Don't underestimate AS, it's easy to relax and think "it's fine, A2s are the important ones". A few of my friends took that approach, and this year they have loads more revision to do, so lots more stress, because of resits. It doesn't matter if you don't get straight As, just aim to get good enough grades that you don't need to resit any exams the next year.

2. If you need to take time off because of illness or whatever, catch up on missed work ASAP. It's so frustrating opening your file to revise and finding gaps in your notes.

3. Don't make yourself busy with too many extra-curricular activities or social things. The thought of turning down some party invites to do school work may suck, but think about it, you'll have plenty of time to go out and enjoy life when you're at uni or wherever you plan to go after your A levels. Why sacrifice that for the sake of a few parties now? Sure, take time out to relax a bit but don't overdo it.
Original post by m0hd_J
Hi all!
I want to do an economics degree. I am already choosing maths and economics for a levels, do you guys recommend any other subjects in particular?
Btw, I definitely don't want to do f.maths and a language!
Thanks

If your school teaches modern history, then History could be an interesting subject to take- I've personally found it has a big cross over with politics, and though I don't take economics myself, does seem to link into that as well. It would also help you with your essay writing skills! :smile:

Reply 711
atm the easter holidays are the most hectic, course work is to be handed in, revision for exams, and it more revision as now they don't have exams in the winter. i did the mistake in not doing much work earlyer for ict, so i had to rush to get it done as it was due on the last week before Easter break.
so dot leave you work till the last minute, pace yourself and really get into the working mood.
Start revising from blooming September..
Reply 713
Original post by peteree
atm the easter holidays are the most hectic, course work is to be handed in, revision for exams, and it more revision as now they don't have exams in the winter. i did the mistake in not doing much work earlyer for ict, so i had to rush to get it done as it was due on the last week before Easter break.
so dot leave you work till the last minute, pace yourself and really get into the working mood.

I'm guessing you're on about the coursework aspect? If so looks like I got lucky then, my deadline is a week after I get back from easter! Annotated evidence is the worst... :frown:
Reply 714
Wow, what a great thread. I wish I'd read a thread like this when I started my A-levels. If anyone is interested, this is my A-level story, getting from a bog-standard school and college to one of the top 5 universities in the UK.

-As a side note, I've been in free, government-funded schooling my whole life. I've never been to a private school - my parents sent me to the nearest local schools, and they weren't particularly great schools-

By the time I first went to college, I had been fortunate enough to have already had some friends a few years older than me, who had done their first year of college and told me to expect a lot more work than school - I'd also had the chance to see the majority of them fail a few of their AS exams the first time round to know that they were being serious.

When I first had my initial meeting with my college 'tutor/adviser' type-guy, he asked me straight out what grades I wanted to end up with when I had finished my A-levels. I replied "I'm going to try my very best to get Triple A". Looking at my GCSE results (2A*, 2A, 7B, 1C) he told me that I was looking at predicted grades of mostly Cs and Bs, and not to expect too much of myself, to avoid disappointment of course. I can see where he was going, but I was determined to do my best.

I worked very hard throughout my college career, I did also go out and had fun, but I studied a lot harder than my friends, who told me that I was "working too hard" and that "I took my work too seriously". But I disagree. Yes, I may have passed up on a few evenings watching movies and perhaps I spent a few more lunchtimes in the library than the others, but I ended up leaving my college with A, A, B (I missed the third A by 7 marks) and I'm now studying a triple language degree at the University of St Andrews :biggrin: (and trust me when I say that those who told me I was working too hard haven't gone to top universities)

The moral of my story and the message I hope to pass on to new students, is that no matter what you're 'predicted' in school, or what your tutor may tell you that you're capable of, you should always believe that you can aim high and reach the goals, and in my case - the grades, that you want.

Don't give up, work hard and reap the rewards - because at the end of the day, it's your future that you're working for :biggrin:
1.Keep a copy of syllabus and refer back it after every topic finished.
2.the teacher will not be able to cover everything,NO MATTER HOW HARD THEY TRY, content is wide and there i no such things as last minute revision(esp for science subjects.)
3.Buy the latest books for the syllabus and it would be wise to invest in revision guides.
4.Have a copy of past papers for atleast the last 6 years.
5.make short notes after every topic covered and do this for every topic.
5.you must go through your syllabus atleast 3-7 times, inside out i tell you.
6.The exams will not kill you neither will they spoon feed you. they will challenge so be amply prepared.
7.everyone is different.trust your own instincts.when it gets tough, thats when you should keep ploughing on.
Reply 716
If you're at Adeyfield school, then leave before they destroy your chances in life.
Don't wait until later in the academic year to realise that you don't actually like some the subjects you are doing.
Make doubly sure that you have chosen the right subjects for you and if, within the first few weeks (or even months) of year 12, if you are having second thoughts and want to swap subjects, talk to a teacher and do it because being stuck doing a subject that you hate and find really difficult for an entire year is horrible. Trust me.
Original post by Dylank
DO NOT pick English Literetature and English language unless you are willing to write 4 pieces of 1500 words coursework and then have a 2 hour and 3 hour exam.

S**t I've already have

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest