The Student Room Group

Floyd Mayweather: an all-time great or an arrogant fraud who ducks fights?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Mickey O'Neil
Floyd wins on points easily. He'd just make him miss and then counter punching him and soak it up on the ropes. It'd look pretty bad but I'd expect a similar result to the Floyd vs Marquez fight with maybe Pacquiao getting a little more luck in regards to landing a punch or two because of the angles he throws punches from. He's quite unique in that regard in that he throws off putting punches.

As I said earlier in the thread, I believe only a fighter at Light Middleweight or Middleweight can beat Floyd. They'd still have to be skilled but they should be able to take his counter punches, close him down and use their power to break through his defence by force. That is the only way. Its ridiculous to think about it but Floyd has mastered the art of pugilism and some just won't accept it. He's one of the few pure boxers there have ever been. People think boxing is all about punching but its not. Its about the whole package and if you don't get hit then you don't get hurt and that's Floyd does best. He then punishes his opponents for missing.

That's why I wouldn't mind Floyd vs Lara. Yes Floyd would probably win the fight but Lara is defensive too. The concept of Floyd having to maybe force the fight would be interesting. If he doesn't and both stay reserved what happens then? Its a boring draw and his record tainted. If he forces the fight he steps out of his comfort zone to a degree. Whilst Floyd has done this a few times in his career, like stepping it up vs Mosley after getting tagged and trading with Oscar, he mostly sticks to the game plan of running and counter punching. People hate him for it. I admire it. Its brilliance and admirable but thats because I dont only value the attacking aspect of the sport :smile:

Yes and to think that FM has stepped up from LW..
He's brilliant and he's truly mastered the art of boxing. We'll never see another like him again.

Better than SRB ? To me - yes.
Reply 41
Original post by Zenomorph
He should have fought guys like Andre Ward, Jermaine Taylor and Froch.

When Calzaghe was around Ward was a no one in world terms, Taylor yeah he could have fought and Froch was a domestic loud mouth at the time.

Was he a bit over-rated? Possibly. But he had 46 fights and didn't make a mistake. From the sounds of it he struggled to get big fights earlier in his career until he gave Lacy a lesson. Considering he broke his hand in every other fight due to problems with it, he has my respect.
Reply 42
Original post by Zenomorph
Yes and to think that FM has stepped up from LW..
He's brilliant and he's truly mastered the art of boxing. We'll never see another like him again.

Better than SRB ? To me - yes.

How exactly?
Reply 43
the blue bird sounds good to me They're the fights I wish to see. As much as I am a fan of Garcia though I am certain is father is protecting him and is not going to let him fight Floyd.
Reply 44
Original post by trrr
Agree with most of your post. I don't even think Floyd would be unbeaten in the 90's either, especially against likes of Whitaker, Chavez and a prime Del La Hoya.

And i suspect thst none of those guys of the last 60 odd years would have remained unbeaten against the great Sugar Ray Robinson anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest