The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Study in Different Subject

Hi all,

I am a Construction undergraduate mature student who is due to finish this year.

My main passion is History and I would like to know if it is possible study an MA in History, even though it is a wildly different subject... How would this affect a future academic career teaching History in further or higher education?

Kind regards,

Lime.
I have used masters degree study to get degrees in different subjects. My ba is in drama then I did ma music and am hoping to do msc food in September.

I would urge you to apply to a wide range of ma history courses because it's not impossible. Just be honest and enthusiastic in your personal statement part of the application.

I too am doing masters level study with the view to teaching that subject rather than the subject of my first degree.

Start writing those applications today if you want. The skills learnt in a first degree lend themselves well to history I feel because it's about looking at a source and being able to analyse it (ish lol)

Good luck :smile:

Original post by Lime86
Hi all,

I am a Construction undergraduate mature student who is due to finish this year.

My main passion is History and I would like to know if it is possible study an MA in History, even though it is a wildly different subject... How would this affect a future academic career teaching History in further or higher education?

Kind regards,

Lime.
Hi, can you definately get on a pgce course for a subject you have an MA in but not a BA? I'm in the same situation as you and have been so paranoid you can't :smile: thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending