The Student Room Group

Did anyone keep high school friends at Uni?

A lot of my friends seem to be going to different parts of the country so I won't be seeing them often at all. Did anyone of you guys stay friends with your high school mates when going to different Uni's? I know you make new friends at Uni but some mates I've known for years so just wondering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

My HS friends ****ed off. Well I ****ed off. I moved & deleted their #'s. Maybe I'm a snob or just uncommonly sensible but at 21 and counting I refuse to socialize with the same people I did when I was 15? Oh no they can go :nah: lol
Reply 2
Yep, we still all meet up in holidays - Christmas, Easter, Summer etc. and sometimes travel for each others birthday parties and so on. My school friends are awesome and I would hate to lose touch. I've made plenty of friends at Uni but they're still my 'best' friends as in the people you can rely on. We went through some formative experiences together :P
Reply 3
Original post by seaholme
Yep, we still all meet up in holidays - Christmas, Easter, Summer etc. and sometimes travel for each others birthday parties and so on. My school friends are awesome and I would hate to lose touch. I've made plenty of friends at Uni but they're still my 'best' friends as in the people you can rely on. We went through some formative experiences together :P

Did you have to adjust though? It's quite weird the thought of people I see everyday then not seeing them for months on end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I'm in my final year of university, and my closest group of friends is still from my sixth form. We may all spread out across the country, but see one another over the holidays and once university is over most people are returning back home.
Reply 5
Original post by FKLW
Did you have to adjust though? It's quite weird the thought of people I see everyday then not seeing them for months on end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Part of life though, isn't it? You go from having a group of friends you've known for donkeys' years, to having no friends, to having a load of random friends you don't know that well.. I mean it's obviously an adjustment.

If you meant adjusting to seeing your friends again after the change then personally I don't think so. I find that meeting up, we all revert back to type and it's like no time has passed. Some people do change at Uni though. Not so much my friends, but I know people who've done a personality 180. I suppose these things are natural though :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by seaholme
Part of life though, isn't it? You go from having a group of friends you've known for donkeys' years, to having no friends, to having a load of random friends you don't know that well.. I mean it's obviously an adjustment.

If you meant adjusting to seeing your friends again after the change then personally I don't think so. I find that meeting up, we all revert back to type and it's like no time has passed. Some people do change at Uni though. Not so much my friends, but I know people who've done a personality 180. I suppose these things are natural though :wink:

Yeah suppose. Meant in the sense that the type of relationship you have will them will most likely adjust, I.e. Knowing everything in their life in college but the you will have to play catch up with them soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of people do keep in touch. I love birthdays/major occasions in our group of friends because people will always invite their other mates. As we're about to graduate, it's got to the stage where we've met some of them enough times that they're considered our friends too and not just ''X's mate from college''.

We're lucky that a lot of people haven't moved too far away from where they lived before, so it's easy for them to invite others to stay. Obviously that'll be different if you're from say, Plymouth and going to university in Newcastle. I don't think it's any coincidence that the 2 people in our group of friends who haven't brought any of their other mates down are the ones who live the furthest away.

It's the same with anything really, finishing uni, leaving your job/sports team etc. You'll keep in touch with a couple of people you've built a close relationship with, and then the others who were more mutual friends/friends via circumstances you won't keep in touch with but as soon as you see each other again, it'll be like nothing has changed.
Don't speak to any except my girlfriend after two terms of uni.
Reply 9
Original post by DJMayes
Don't speak to any except my girlfriend after two terms of uni.

Is that because you weren't close friends with anyone from college or for other reasons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
Is that because you weren't close friends with anyone from college or for other reasons?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably the former.
Yeah, though my uni mates are my closest friends. Boarders seem to stay very close.
I stayed close to a few of my highschool friends, and am in touch with most of them still. We don't always see each other that often, but it is nice to catch up when we do, and we make an effort to get together around christmas time if we can.

I don't see why you'd cut contact with people you're friends with now. Yes, you might naturally drift apart, but if you're really friends, why would you not make an effort to stay in touch?
Yes, I stayed friends with most of my high school friends.

In fact, I probably made more friends that went to the same high school with me whilst at uni. Which is weird.
(edited 10 years ago)
I have kept in contact with a few friends from school; one is my best mate from sixth form and the other a good friend from secondary school.
I have 3 main best friends from high school, I don't speak to them much because we are scattered around England but I see them at Christmas, Easter and in the summer break. It's literally like nothing changed at all when I see them, and I consider them my best friends still.
Reply 16
Original post by infairverona
I have 3 main best friends from high school, I don't speak to them much because we are scattered around England but I see them at Christmas, Easter and in the summer break. It's literally like nothing changed at all when I see them, and I consider them my best friends still.

Is your relationship not different now with them then? Seeing someone everyday to then once a holiday seems a big gap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Well, I went to the same uni as my best friend from high school, so I see her a lot. I have around 10 really good friends from high school who I'll see whenever I'm home (summer, christmas, any other holidays). A few of my friends still live in the city that we all went to high school, so they're usually there if I come back to visit my parents or whatever.

I do think going to uni makes you realise which friendships you actually care about enough to keep making an effort. There have been a few friends that I just don't really care about seeing anymore, and they were basically just my friends because I saw them every day at school.
Reply 18
I drifted apart from my friends at school. We were just a bit different and it seemed to get more so once we'd gone to uni. Only one of them really used Facebook anyway and we never really communicated by text at all. We met up at the certificate evening at school and went for a drink afterwards but then the only other time we've tried to meet up they've wanted to go out clubbing and that just isn't me. But I've made new friends at uni anyway. But I know some people who are still good friends with people at home so it can be done. I suppose it all depends on how close you were before and if you are all going to make the effort to keep in touch and meet up in the holidays.
Not there yet but I plan on ditching all my mates forever once I leave, for various reasons.

However, I know a quite a few of my mates + ex-mates are going to either the same university (which is local to us) or are going to be in the area still at college or at a different one in the same city. I presume they'll stay friends.

My sister's still very friendly with her friends from high school/sixth form, goes and visits them a lot.

I guess it depends how much you care by the time you get to uni and have settled in and things

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending