The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

I am from America, and I am considering going to a college/university in London?

I really like King's College London and I also like Richmond The American International University in London. I just want some ideas on the lifestyle, and what college life is like over there. (Hey, maybe even make some friends before I get there!) Thanks, Sarah.
Hi Sarahbee101,
Do you know about our USA office?

It may be helpful for you to get in touch with them so they can guide you the process of applying to university in the UK and give you more info about life at King's.

Teresa Smiley is a good contact if you'd like to email and ask specific questions - [email protected]

Thanks and good luck!

Sabi
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by sarahbee101
I really like King's College London and I also like Richmond The American International University in London. I just want some ideas on the lifestyle, and what college life is like over there. (Hey, maybe even make some friends before I get there!) Thanks, Sarah.
There is a big difference between the two, Sarah. King's is one of the world's top-ranked universities (coming in at 19th in the last QS World Rankings), whereas Richmond isn't ranked. King's is comparable to other city universities in the United States, most similarly NYU, although King's does rank higher; there is a strong sense of pride in the university, but it's interwoven into the fabric of the city. There won't be a campus feel, but London is certainly one of the world's most beautiful, diverse and exciting cities whatever your expectations. Sizeable community of American students and exchange students, too! Hope this helped.
Reply 3
Original post by King’s College London
Hi Sarahbee101,
Do you know about our USA office?

It may be helpful for you to get in touch with them so they can guide you the process of applying to university in the UK and give you more info about life at King's.

Teresa Smiley is a good contact if you'd like to email and ask specific questions - [email protected]

Thanks and good luck!

Sabi

I emailed you!
Reply 4
Hi Sarah,
I actually studied abroad at Richmond, the American University two years ago for a semester. Are you going as a freshman undergrad? I went as a sophomore and it was the best semester of my life! I was on the city campus (actually IN London). Great location (right by Kensington Palace with easy access to the rest of the city). If you are a good student (A/B) it shouldn't be too much of an adjustment for you. Classes are a bit harder than in the US though-much more is expected of you. Instead of multiple grades, you may only have a midterm or final (so only a few opportunities to prove yourself).
I will be attending King's College this coming September for grad school. This school is one of the top colleges of in the world, so if you choose to attend just know it is much more academically focused. At Richmond, I loved that most people were American which meant that it was less of a culture shock, and I had peer support (when I got homesick). The school was also very supportive (staff is great!) and they organize trips all over Europe and help you adjust to English life and find things for you to do.
These two will be VERY different experiences. I haven't been to King's yet, but I did attend Richmond for a semester and loved it! Hope this helps!
Reply 5
Original post by kg_24
I loved that most people were American which meant that it was less of a culture shock,

Out of interest, what do you mean by culture shock? I would've thought that American and British culture were quite similar.
Reply 6
They can be similar, but there can be differences too. You will be going to a different country where they have different saying, beliefs, and act and behave differently. The two are much more similar that it would be compared to other countries, but it was nice to have other Americans around to say, "this is weird," or "wow, I never expected that" (things like that). I'd say do some research about the culture online just so you are a little more prepared. I can't think of anything specific at the moment, but there were times that I would feel completely confused by people's actions. Hope that helps a bit!
What about considering UCL - dare I say it ranked higher than KCL. Also very international - lots of different representation from lots of countries.

Why come to a different country and then surround yourself by your own kind
Reply 8
1. Legal drinking age: 18

2. uhhh....

yeah... I'm out of positives.

But seriously, consider the future life you'd like as well. If I'm not mistaken, there are certain things, like a JD or MD, which more or less requires American bachelor's.
Reply 9
Hi Sarah,

My name is Beckah and I'm a current student at Richmond American International Uni in London.

If you can, I would definitely recommend visiting campus. The Uni offers student led tours and puts you in touch with Admissions staff for either studying abroad or attending Richmond.

If you have any questions, please email me at the Student Ambassadors email: [email protected]

All the best,
Beckah Blank

Quick Reply

Latest