The Student Room Group

Studying in America with Good A levels - Bad GCSEs?

I am interested in studying Economics in the United States and was wondering if anyone has any information/experience with this matter of doing very well (A*AA) in 'difficult' A levels, yet doing bad (B's Cs and a D in woodworking :tongue:) at GCSEs.

I am currently preparing to do my SATs in which I think I will do very well (if my practice tests are anything to go by that is), and already have two fantastic letters of recommendation from two A level teachers.

My extra curricular activities are, I believe, also very good (creating a website that will provide Economics help to A level students, attended various economics conferences across Europe and the US where I have met with many politicians and renowned bankers/economists in the process who even said themselves it was impressive how much I knew for my age).

However those GCSE results will be submitted on a transcript so I was wondering how much of an impact they will have on my chances of being accepted to some of the more selective (15-25% acceptance rate) colleges in America.

Thank you for the help.
Reply 1
Sorry, I know its a very specific question so I will only do this bump once.

Thanks all.
Reply 2
The most selective colleges are ruthless and may look for any weakness to not admit you. You could perhaps address your law grades in your application essays and explain your path of personal growth etc, but I recommend casting a wide net if you're serious about getting to the US.
Original post by Anonymous
I am interested in studying Economics in the United States and was wondering if anyone has any information/experience with this matter of doing very well (A*AA) in 'difficult' A levels, yet doing bad (B's Cs and a D in woodworking :tongue:) at GCSEs.

I am currently preparing to do my SATs in which I think I will do very well (if my practice tests are anything to go by that is), and already have two fantastic letters of recommendation from two A level teachers.

My extra curricular activities are, I believe, also very good (creating a website that will provide Economics help to A level students, attended various economics conferences across Europe and the US where I have met with many politicians and renowned bankers/economists in the process who even said themselves it was impressive how much I knew for my age).

However those GCSE results will be submitted on a transcript so I was wondering how much of an impact they will have on my chances of being accepted to some of the more selective (15-25% acceptance rate) colleges in America.

Thank you for the help.

If you are looking at the most selective colleges in the United States then your GCSE grades will bring down your chances a lot from what I've heard about how much they value GCSE grades. They do definitely tend to focus on the predicted A levels grades and you could address your GCSE grades as your 'growth curve'. Your EC's seem to be quite good and also you state your LOR's are also fantastic which is good but you will also need an amazing SAT score and most colleges require 2 SAT Subject tests I believe (correct me if I am wrong). I think on Youtube there are some students from the UK who have been admitted to Harvard and Yale and various other selective colleges who have had all A*/A at GCSE so if your aim are the most selective colleges, unfortunately your GCSE grades may bring you down quite a bit. However you really never know when it comes to the admissions process so you may get admitted, but this is just my view as there are many students out there who are International Olympiad gold medalists and do community service and also have perfect grades but still don't gain admission. Hope that helped!
Reply 4
Well I am not sure how this thread became revived but thank you both for your replies all the same. Yes I have heard many colleges in the US look for reasons NOT to admit you rather than reasons to admit you. I must be honest I see why GCSEs are important (shows a history of good academic performance and all that), but compared to A levels they are just a joke, I recently looked back on an old Maths paper and wondered why I got so worried about it so much.

Not that I am looking for sympathy, but I know in the UK universities will look at your background when it comes to admissions too (in my case single mother, low income, first in family to even do A levels etc.) so I don't know if that translates to American admissions, not that I like to think I would get into any university through 'pity' admissions but I know that does tend to be a factor also.

Other than that SAT practice tests are coming in at the mid to low 1500s and ACT is solid at 34 so I am hopeful to get that SAT up a bit more, maybe even a 35 in ACT.

Thank you again for the advice! :smile:
Well I am not sure how this thread became revived but thank you both for your replies all the same. Yes I have heard many colleges in the US look for reasons NOT to admit you rather than reasons to admit you. I must be honest I see why GCSEs are important (shows a history of good academic performance and all that), but compared to A levels they are just a joke, I recently looked back on an old Maths paper and wondered why I got so worried about it so much.

Not that I am looking for sympathy, but I know in the UK universities will look at your background when it comes to admissions too (in my case single mother, low income, first in family to even do A levels etc.) so I don't know if that translates to American admissions, not that I like to think I would get into any university through 'pity' admissions but I know that does tend to be a factor also.

Other than that SAT practice tests are coming in at the mid to low 1500s and ACT is solid at 34 so I am hopeful to get that SAT up a bit more, maybe even a 35 in ACT.

Thank you again for the advice! :smile:

Your scores for the SAT and ACT seem to be very good, also in your inquiry into the admissions process for background, colleges in the US do look into family backgrounds however they only look into this on the basis of financial aid I believe and no other reason such as 'pity' to admit you but you being the first person in your family to do A levels and go to college will be something they may look upon well and consider admitting you but then again I'm not really sure but this is what I've heard from people around me when they apply to colleges in the US
Reply 6
Original post by fiastudies
Your scores for the SAT and ACT seem to be very good, also in your inquiry into the admissions process for background, colleges in the US do look into family backgrounds however they only look into this on the basis of financial aid I believe and no other reason such as 'pity' to admit you but you being the first person in your family to do A levels and go to college will be something they may look upon well and consider admitting you but then again I'm not really sure but this is what I've heard from people around me when they apply to colleges in the US

Ah fantastic. I know it seems a bit stupid to say this, but I would actually be disappointed if I got admitted anywhere because of my background. I have worked immensely hard since the days of GCSE and would love to be admitted on those grounds instead of playing the 'disadvantaged' card. Thank you very much for the help.
Ah fantastic. I know it seems a bit stupid to say this, but I would actually be disappointed if I got admitted anywhere because of my background. I have worked immensely hard since the days of GCSE and would love to be admitted on those grounds instead of playing the 'disadvantaged' card. Thank you very much for the help.

No problem! I'm glad I was of help. I'm actually in the process of my GCSE's right now (Yr 11) and It's a little stressful, I'm preparing for early maths entry in January and I'm just grafting hard. I actually want to apply to the US and UK (mainly US atm) after I finish year 13 which is why I have so much knowledge about the process haha. Anyway, good luck and I hope you get admitted into your dream school!
Reply 8

It's not something to be ashamed of to be given a leg up. You've achieved a lot.
Reply 9
Original post by Ma50n
It's not something to be ashamed of to be given a leg up. You've achieved a lot.

Ah not really. I know there are plenty of people in far worse situations than I am who have done a lot better (that is to say half decent GCSEs :tongue:) but thank you all the same. I shall try not to mention it on any application but I am sure it will come out one way or another. I shan't be applying to any of the extremely selective place like Harvard, MIT etc (more along the USC, NYU lines) so I hope it doesn't have much of an impact all the same.

Thank you for the help.

your ECs are good by UK standards but pretty poor by US standards. not only that but the GCSEs you mention, and your superb A levels are only predictions.

also you are aware that you don't do a degree in Economics in the states, you merely major in it (25%-40% of the four years)
Original post by A Rolling Stone
your ECs are good by UK standards but pretty poor by US standards. not only that but the GCSEs you mention, and your superb A levels are only predictions.

also you are aware that you don't do a degree in Economics in the states, you merely major in it (25%-40% of the four years)

Yes I am fully aware of the way university courses are structured over there (after having it explained about 50 times that is). I apologise but I didnt mention in my original post that A level grades are not predictions but achieved (even considering resitting one since it was very close to an A*). My only query would be in what regards are the ECs poor by US standards.

Under no circumstances am I under the impression they are absolutely mind blowing. I know many students in America tend to mention athletic ability/leadership roles, so I suppose I could also mention I am a volunteer firefighter in my city and a member of the RAF reserves (my school had very little in the way of debate clubs etc.) but I don't see how that would translate into academic ability? Thank you for your help though and I shall keep it in mind if that is the case.
Yes I am fully aware of the way university courses are structured over there (after having it explained about 50 times that is). I apologise but I didnt mention in my original post that A level grades are not predictions but achieved (even considering resitting one since it was very close to an A*). My only query would be in what regards are the ECs poor by US standards.

Under no circumstances am I under the impression they are absolutely mind blowing. I know many students in America tend to mention athletic ability/leadership roles, so I suppose I could also mention I am a volunteer firefighter in my city and a member of the RAF reserves (my school had very little in the way of debate clubs etc.) but I don't see how that would translate into academic ability? Thank you for your help though and I shall keep it in mind if that is the case.

well the website sounds great, but your use of 'will' implies it isn't up & running yet so is an ambition...

as for the rest, US universities don't care how many conferences you've attended, they want your ECs to show evidence of leadership and/or achievement. for example organising a conference of some sort, or winning a prize
From my experience, the most selective unis in the US put so much emphasis on extracurricular activity, compared to the UK. Grades are only one thing. If your grades doesn't meet up with the potential competition, you can just cover that weakness with a strong extracurricular activity. Since the subjects you do, may not be reflective of the course you are interested in. Since in your case, you can't change your GCSE grades, focus on doing something beyond people expect from you.
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous #1

Thank you for the help.

Hii! I just came across this and I’m in the same situation as you were I was wondering if you were able to get into the us university’s you applied to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending