The Student Room Group

Topics taught in A Level math, further math and Econ

Hello everyone (:

I will be starting my actuarial science course at uni this September. I contacted my uni asking them if they recommend any self study (/suggest any reading material) for prospective students. They replied saying that I won't need to do anything more than A level math, further math and econ. Now, here's the problem : I'm an international applicant. So I don't really know much about the topics learnt by students taking the A Level examination. I've looked at a couple of the past A Level exam papers but beyond that, I'm not really sure.

I'd be very grateful if some one could post (/PM me) a detailed list of all the topics taught in A Level math, further math and Econ (and statistics, if you people learn stats as a separate subject) and also any study material (free preferably) that I could make use (is there anything like thekhanacademy for A Levels as well?).

Thank you very much for the help! (: (:

Sent from my iPhone
The specification for A-Level Mathematics is here (Edexel board). You can view tutorials on ExamSolutions & M4ths.com (Both free) for help on those topics.
For Economics, this book is great for AS, here is the one for A2.

If you don't want to buy the Economics books then just click on 'Look Inside' to see the list of topics. Also, this is a great website for A-Level Economics.

Good luck with your degree :smile:
Original post by L'Etudiant
The specification for A-Level Mathematics is here (Edexel board). You can view tutorials on ExamSolutions & M4ths.com (Both free) for help on those topics.
For Economics, this book is great for AS, here is the one for A2.

If you don't want to buy the Economics books then just click on 'Look Inside' to see the list of topics. Also, this is a great website for A-Level Economics.

Good luck with your degree :smile:

thanks a lot!😃; really owe you one (:
If anyone else has got anything more, please do let me know (:

Sent from my iPhone
Reply 4
Original post by Sidhant Shivram
Hello everyone (:

I will be starting my actuarial science course at uni this September. I contacted my uni asking them if they recommend any self study (/suggest any reading material) for prospective students. They replied saying that I won't need to do anything more than A level math, further math and econ. Now, here's the problem : I'm an international applicant. So I don't really know much about the topics learnt by students taking the A Level examination. I've looked at a couple of the past A Level exam papers but beyond that, I'm not really sure.

I'd be very grateful if some one could post (/PM me) a detailed list of all the topics taught in A Level math, further math and Econ (and statistics, if you people learn stats as a separate subject) and also any study material (free preferably) that I could make use (is there anything like thekhanacademy for A Levels as well?).

Sent from my iPhone

Hey, I'm currently doing my AS levels, and I'm doing Maths and FM. Are you doing the whole courses or just some topics/modules for further study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TLHroolz
Hey, I'm currently doing my AS levels, and I'm doing Maths and FM. Are you doing the whole courses or just some topics/modules for further study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I plan to self study as much as possible. I'm not gonna give the A Level exam though cos I've already been offered places at universities (I have the Indian equivalent of the A Level qualification). So it's not that I don't know these topics already but I'm sure there will be differences b/w the Indian and the A Level syllabi. So yes, i'll just go through those topics that I've not done before (if any)...

Sent from my iPhone
Reply 6
I plan to self study as much as possible. I'm not gonna give the A Level exam though cos I've already been offered places at universities (I have the Indian equivalent of the A Level qualification). So it's not that I don't know these topics already but I'm sure there will be differences b/w the Indian and the A Level syllabi. So yes, i'll just go through those topics that I've not done before (if any)...

Sent from my iPhone

Well, if you're doing actuarial science, as part of A level normal and further, you can do 4 different statistics module (each with a workload of one third of one year of A level)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, if you're doing actuarial science, as part of A level normal and further, you can do 4 different statistics module (each with a workload of one third of one year of A level)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup. I just checked that out. I'll definitely start there.

By the way, just for the record, is it possible to learn all of it from sites like examsolutions and m4ths.com alone; i.e., without a tutor?

Sent from my iPhone

By the way, just for the record, is it possible to learn all of it from sites like examsolutions and m4ths.com alone; i.e., without a tutor?

Sent from my iPhone

Yes, using both websites feels the same as having a tutor beside you except that they are much better and free :smile: I am currently using both websites to teach myself A-Level Maths.
Yes, using both websites feels the same as having a tutor beside you except that they are much better and free :smile: I am currently using both websites to teach myself A-Level Maths.

Haha! 😄 that's brilliant then😃 alright then, looks like you'll soon have someone following your footsteps (:

Sent from my iPhone

Haha! 😄 that's brilliant😃 alright then, looks like you'll soon have someone following your footsteps (:

Sent from my iPhone
Reply 11

Sent from my iPhone

Did you study core units as part of your a level equivalents (stuff like binomial theorem comes in useful)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you study core units as part of your a level equivalents (stuff like binomial theorem comes in useful)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup. I've done all that. Some topics that I've found that's not included in our syllabus are ...linear interpolation, and some other topics listed in the same module (I don't remember exactly cos I had a quick glance over the topics list yesterday). I don't think those topics will be of much use in my degree course but they sound interesting. I'll learn them anyway.

By the way, I browsed through m4ths.com and examsolutions. Those are great sites (many thanks again, to L'étudiante) for studying the topics. Is there any site that you're aware of that'll let me actually practice my newly acquired math skills? I'm talking about something that you people might use for revision before the exams to actually solve questions, work out problems and verify answers. That'd be great cos that's how I study - learn and then practice. Helps me verify whether my I've got the concepts right.

Sent from my iPhone
Reply 13
Yup. I've done all that. Some topics that I've found that's not included in our syllabus are ...linear interpolation, and some other topics listed in the same module (I don't remember exactly cos I had a quick glance over the topics list yesterday). I don't think those topics will be of much use in my degree course but they sound interesting. I'll learn them anyway.

By the way, I browsed through m4ths.com and examsolutions. Those are great sites (many thanks again, to L'étudiante) for studying the topics. Is there any site that you're aware of that'll let me actually practice my newly acquired math skills? I'm talking about something that you people might use for revision before the exams to actually solve questions, work out problems and verify answers. That'd be great cos that's how I study - learn and then practice. Helps me verify whether my I've got the concepts right.

Sent from my iPhone

Just go onto exam board websites and do past exam questions. Mark schemes are on there as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just go onto exam board websites and do past exam questions. Mark schemes are on there as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right man. Thank you very much (:

Sent from my iPhone
Hello everyone (:

Sent from my iPhone

tutor2u.net is a great place to learn A Level Economics without investing in a textbook.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
tutor2u.net is a great place to learn A Level Economics without investing in a textbook.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great! Thanks for the heads up (: (:

Sent from my iPhone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending