The Student Room Group

Confused about meta-analysis, please help!!

:frown: I'm slightly desperate for help as my deadline is coming up.

Does a meta-analysis combine the findings of the studies to produce one finding?

Like say, you have a load of RCTs of whether a treatment intervention works or not (and there are many variables contributing to it), does a meta-analysis give you an overall answer 'yes' or 'no'? or does it give you themes aswell, giving you the weighting for the variable contributing to it?

I hope that makes sense, and thanks so much in advance for the help :smile: I really appreciate it x
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
a meta-analysis reviews the previous studies in order to draw common conclusions from them overall, it's more yes/no than adding weighting to a side :smile: hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kayto
:frown: I'm slightly desperate for help as my deadline is coming up.

Does a meta-analysis combine the findings of the studies to produce one finding?

Like say, you have a load of RCTs of whether a treatment intervention works or not (and there are many variables contributing to it), does a meta-analysis give you an overall answer 'yes' or 'no'? or does it give you themes aswell, giving you the weighting for the variable contributing to it?

I hope that makes sense, and thanks so much in advance for the help :smile: I really appreciate it x

Yes. Although it may be helpful to know the difference between a review and a meta-analysis. A review doesn't give you a "weighted effect size", it simply tries to cover every study on a given topic and try to delineate themes/conclusions/prospects for an area of research.

Meta-analysis, on the other hand, is a form of statistical analysis. It takes into account the effect size (and direction of effect) and sample size of every study and puts the statistics of various studies into ONE overall effect size.

meta-analysis (Koehler 2013, J Exp Criminol).png

A key difference that a review of the research on the topic shown above (on rehabilitative interventions on offenders under the age of 25) would conclude that MOST STUDIES do not show a significant effect of rehabilitation (Only 5 do if you observe the confidence intervals). However, the final two estimates (fixed and random) give an overall WEIGHTED effect size which takes into account every study, and shows an overall positive (but fairly small) effect.
Reply 4
Thank you so much for your help and time, I really appreciate it :smile: I will be using a meta-analysis, are you well acquainted with the fixed and random effects model? ( I have a question on that too, if you don't mind. It is rather long though ahh.)

But thank you for your answer, it really cleared things up!
Original post by Kayto
Thank you so much for your help and time, I really appreciate it :smile: I will be using a meta-analysis, are you well acquainted with the fixed and random effects model? ( I have a question on that too, if you don't mind. It is rather long though ahh.)

But thank you for your answer, it really cleared things up!

Not really! Haven't performed a meta-analysis before, just know the basics...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending