The Student Room Group

Views on small engine economical cars? 1L-1.4L?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The latest generation of small petrol engines are very good. For example the new VW Golf 1.4l produces around 120bhp and is lively in the 30-60mph region, though it peters out after that. Claims 55mpg combined. I was fortunate to drive the new fiesta ST a couple of months back and that's a 1.6l, producing 180bhp plus some sort of boost. Drove it pretty hard and it still returned 35mpg, so I truly believe the claimed combined figure of almost 50mpg. Small petrol engines are more powerful and efficient than ever before.
Reply 21
I used to drive a ford ka - they're fine, the only time you will struggle is overtaking uphill when you have a car full of people/belongings/are towing.

It got a bit 'floaty' (only way I can describe it, it tended to drift around a bit) above 80, especially with a surfboard on the roof, but you shouldn't really be going faster than that anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
Depends what you mean by struggle?

I drive a 1.8L Corsa

And I struggle with a full-car. You have to remember any car offering a 1.0L engine is most likely going to be a small city car that's in the region of 950-1150KG. Because of the low weight, any increase in weight is a lot more noticeable in comparison to a larger heavy car..

But I still wouldn't drive a 1.0L lol I'd have a shot at the new Ford 1.0 Ecoboosts, but your average 3 - pot, no way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending