The Student Room Group

Herman Van Rompuy and his EU band of merry men. What do they actually do?

These people, not elected by any of us mere mortals. What is their job? The EU presidents, what is their actual job? What is in their job description. No politician (not even dear Cleggy) knows, nor any investigative journalist.

So you Pro-European illusionists, tell me, what do these people actually do? What is their job?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_presidents_of_the_institutions_of_the_European_Union

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does these people have any power?

And if yes, on whose authority? What justification?

If no, why are we giving these people essentially non-jobs? What are they for?
Reply 2
dictate the lives of over 500 million people without fears of being voted out of power, to put it shortly
keep the EU functioning properly?
Reply 4
So you trust the moral rectitude and Protestant work ethic of our good British politicians more?
Reply 5
Original post by kidomo
keep the EU functioning properly?

Yes, but what is their actual job?

My job could be said to keep the EU functioning properly.
Reply 6
Original post by scrotgrot
So you trust the moral rectitude and Protestant work ethic of our good British politicians more?

That's not answering the question.
Reply 7
Your link answers your question? He heads the debates in the European council, and was elected by the council members, who were elected by the European people as they are the heads of state. The president you voted for elected van Rompuy.
Reply 8
Original post by Smushy
Your link answers your question? He heads the debates in the European council, and was elected by the council members, who were elected by the European people as they are the heads of state. The president you voted for elected van Rompuy.

1) heads of state? no, the EU is dominated by parliamentary systems so they'll be heads of government, not heads of state. heads of government in parliamentary systems aren't elected by the people like a head of state might be, they're chosen by the people that the people chose. so, really, if herman van rompey was "elected", we have to see that he was chosen by a man who was chosen by the people that people chose - how remote is his democratic authority if he has THAT little connection to our electorate?
2) he wasn't "elected", he was "chosen", by people who had no clear or legitimate authority; the MEPs might be as elected for the EU institution and for such a specific function, but not the heads of government, absolutely not - the heads of government of the EU member states really have no mandate to "elect" anybody in the EU because they don't specify in a manifesto from their electorate who they are going to vote for; hell, they don't even talk about it, it's basically an opeque matter of secrecy. for example, nobody is going to elect a conservative government because of who david cameron is (not) going to bid to reign over the EU
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Monkey.Man
1) heads of state? no, the EU is dominated by parliamentary systems so they'll be heads of government, not heads of state. heads of government in parliamentary systems aren't elected by the people like a head of state might be, they're chosen by the people that the people chose. so, really, if herman van rompey was "elected", we have to see that he was chosen by a man who was chosen by the people that people chose - how remote is his democratic authority if he has THAT little connection to our electorate?
2) he wasn't "elected", he was "chosen", by people who had no clear or legitimate authority; the MEPs might be as elected for the EU institution and for such a specific function, but not the heads of government, absolutely not - the heads of government of the EU member states really have no mandate to "elect" anybody in the EU because they don't specify in a manifesto from their electorate who they are going to vote for; hell, they don't even talk about it, it's basically an opeque matter of secrecy. for example, nobody is going to elect a conservative government because of who david cameron is (not) going to bid to reign over the EU

1) The EU institutions refer to their constituent countries as member states, so their leaders are called heads of state in this context.
2) Fine, make that crucial distinction. He was chosen not to lead the EU, but to chair the discussions in the European Council. He has to be a neutral mediator, he is there to facilitate and kindle debate. He also functions as a spokesperson to the outside world. He is the face of whatever the European Council has decided on. So, although is position is necessary for the correct function of the institution he does not in any way 'reign' over the EU. There is a reason why he is a boring politician from Belgium of all places.

harper Collins:

verb

(transitive) to choose (someone) to be (a representative or a public official) by voting they elected him Mayor
to select; choose to elect to die rather than surrender

The Heads of state voted for Van Rompuy to be their president, he was therefore elected.
(edited 10 years ago)
There was a show on last night about Nigel Farage and even senior political correspondents and politicians were unsure what exactly each persons role was.
Reply 11
Original post by Smushy

No it doesnt. Job title. Not job discription. This is because nobody knows what they actually do.

He "heads" the debate. What does this "heading" involve?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What they do is dismantle the notion of a sovereign nation state and steal extortionate amounts of my tax contributions in the process.
Reply 13
Original post by Smushy
1) The EU institutions refer to their constituent countries as member states, so their leaders are called heads of state in this context.
2) Fine, make that crucial distinction. He was chosen not to lead the EU, but to chair the discussions in the European Council. He has to be a neutral mediator, he is there to facilitate and kindle debate. He also functions as a spokesperson to the outside world. He is the face of whatever the European Council has decided on. So, although is position is necessary for the correct function of the institution he does not in any way 'reign' over the EU. There is a reason why he is a boring politician from Belgium of all places.

3 points here.

1) you can not "facilitate" free speech.
2) what does "facilitate and kindle" even mean? Does he bring the topics up? Does he tell who should argue what?
3) a "spokesperson" who is also a "president" but this "presidency" does not really have a job discription and is essentially a non job.

Why is he being paid thousands and thousands of pounds of UK/ European taxpayers money for a essentially non job. We should cut him as part of the austerity measures.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by the mezzil
3 points here.

1) you can not "facilitate" free speech.
2) what does "facilitate and kindle" even mean? Does he bring the topics up? Does he tell who should argue what?
3) a "spokesperson" who is also a "president" but this "presidency" does not really have a job discription and is essentially a non job.

Why is he being paid thousands and thousands of pounds of UK/ European taxpayers money for a essentially non job. We should cut him as part of the austerity measures.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can compare Van Rompuy's job to this guy's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_of_the_House_of_Commons_(United_Kingdom)

Also: the European council isn't about free speech, it is about resolving Eu wide issues and coordinating each country's policies. oo

It just seems to me like you need to actually read up on the European institutions so you can have an informed opinion. Your vitriol would be far more convincing if you had a rational argument.
Reply 15
Original post by Smushy
You can compare Van Rompuy's job to this guy's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_of_the_House_of_Commons_(United_Kingdom)

Also: the European council isn't about free speech, it is about resolving Eu wide issues and coordinating each country's policies. oo

It just seems to me like you need to actually read up on the European institutions so you can have an informed opinion. Your vitriol would be far more convincing if you had a rational argument.

No the speakers job really is not the job that has any resemblance to the EU President.

So the EU is not democratic? On whose authority and with what experience do they have the right to "resolve the EU wide issues"?

I am well informed myself, I am just asking the pro-Europeans for their version of the answers.

You essentially say that the EU president is an over paid, over bureaucratic type of "judge"? Is that it? And this is this guys full time job? To sit there and make sure everyone gets a say?
(edited 10 years ago)
The EC is where the real power is, Van Rompuy chairs its meetings in the way anyone chairs a meeting, makes sure it sticks to the agenda and so on.

They have conpetence on the 3 pillars when its heads of state, but often Council is convened of, say Fisheries Minister, who will only have competence on fisheries policy.
Broadly speaking, the European Council dictates EU policy and the Commission implements it. Seems fairly simple to me.
On the one hand, you sound like you're literally repeating Niggle Farridge's comments without thinking about it.

Having said that, you managed to punctuate your thread title without help so fair play to you son.
Reply 19
Original post by the mezzil
No the speakers job really is not the job that has any resemblance to the EU President.

So the EU is not democratic? On whose authority and with what experience do they have the right to "resolve the EU wide issues"?

I am well informed myself, I am just asking the pro-Europeans for their version of the answers.

You essentially say that the EU president is an over paid, over bureaucratic type of "judge"? Is that it? And this is this guys full time job? To sit there and make sure everyone gets a say?

If you can say that with such certainty you must be quite certain of his job description :rolleyes: What are you asking me?

The primary function of the EU is to keep the peace. It allows the governments of member states to work together and write either recommendations or legislations that affect all member states. They will resolve those issues that concern all member states (which is what EU wide means :rolleyes: ). Since it allows for a united front, better commercial ties etc. it has had economical gain as an added advantage.

People that work for the EU institutions are sent out by their home countries, and great care is taken to ensure equal representation (whenever one country feels disadvantaged it can kick up a fuss). The EU parliament is directly elected by the people. The European council is indirectly elected by the people, your president is a council member. If you're angry you don't know what's happening you should demand answers off him :/ He's clearly not doing his job.

From the questions you're asking you're clearly not well-informed. Seriously. The members of the European council were elected by the people, if you're unhappy with how they were chosen you should move for national reform. Which would be ridiculously ironic.

I never said he was overpaid, I don't think he is. His salary is comparable to that of other officials that are of similar importance. I don't know if you've ever been in a formal debate, but a competent president is essential for them to run smoothly. If decisions are to be made and compromises to be found there needs to be a president like Van Rompuy. His job has always existed (you will find something similar in the UN) it used to be filled by the president of the chairing country/president of the commission, but in the interest of fairness it became Van Rompuy and later another elected official.

If you're so eurosceptic you're welcome to encourage the rest of your compatriots to vote to leave the EU. I'll have a good laugh when you realise how much you're missing out on when it's too late. The other European countries are generally quite happy with how it's run (although there are always improvements to be made to adapt to changing times) and it is frustrating when any effort is constantly dragged out because of the UK's toxic attitude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending