The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University

hi I got put into van mildert collage, can anyone tell me what the accommodation is like there? what do I need to bring other than the necessities please.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
hi I got put into van mildert collage, can anyone tell me what the accommodation is like there? what do I need to bring other than the necessities please.

You would do better to post this on Durham thread.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Hi! I'm going to Mary's but I was actually at Van Mildert last year for a summer school! I found that it was actually a really nice college despite being less well known, the facilities are up to date and clean and the bedrooms were relatively modern and well designed with sinks, wardrobes, desks, big windows, beds and plenty of storage. The dining hall is gorgeous with lovely views over the college's lake (your room might too!) The ducks are adorable and there is a green perfect for picnics etc in the summer. The JCR and bar are both pretty big and each corridor had a fairly large kitchenette as well. Admittedly the bathrooms and showers were standard uni quality but I had such a lovely time there and I think it's a really lovely college!

In terms of what to bring it's up the individual. Bring bedding, clothes etc, things to decorate your room, fancy dress. I'm sure your college will advise you! Don't pack too much but think of it as moving into a new flat rather than going on holiday. If you have any other questions I'll try help but I hope that makes sense for now!
Reply 3
Original post by Elizabeth.lea
Hi! I'm going to Mary's but I was actually at Van Mildert last year for a summer school! I found that it was actually a really nice college despite being less well known, the facilities are up to date and clean and the bedrooms were relatively modern and well designed with sinks, wardrobes, desks, big windows, beds and plenty of storage. The dining hall is gorgeous with lovely views over the college's lake (your room might too!) The ducks are adorable and there is a green perfect for picnics etc in the summer. The JCR and bar are both pretty big and each corridor had a fairly large kitchenette as well. Admittedly the bathrooms and showers were standard uni quality but I had such a lovely time there and I think it's a really lovely college!

In terms of what to bring it's up the individual. Bring bedding, clothes etc, things to decorate your room, fancy dress. I'm sure your college will advise you! Don't pack too much but think of it as moving into a new flat rather than going on holiday. If you have any other questions I'll try help but I hope that makes sense for now!

thank you so much. this was such big help!

Hi there

Here is a tour of Van Mildert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfIu1gpVgIE

I couldn't find any room tours on Youtube but some might be available on Tiktok so you can search there. As for what to bring, here's a list of things to consider: https://mildert.co.uk/fresheradvice.php. Don't worry if you can't bring everything, you can always buy on Amazon or in Durham once you're here :smile:

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest