The Student Room Group

Study shows state school pupils do better at uni

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26773830

Is this proof private school pupils results are not an accurate representation of their ability?

Is this proof that state school pupils with the same grades are better "independant learners" than private school pupils?

You're a university admissions tutor and have two sets of identical grades (and similar personal statements) who do you take? The state or private school pupil and why?

DISCUSS :wink:
Reply 1
Interesting

But I won't let studies and statistics tell me what I'm gonna get. That will be down to me.
The article makes no mention of controlling for other effects - it simply seems to be looking at private schoolers and comparing them to state schoolers. Hence, the conclusion that private schoolers are worse independent learners is not necessarily true. It could be that private schools have the knowledge to get students into more competitive courses. These courses are harder, so students get worse results. Of course, if this were true, there would still be a problem and inequality.
Original post by SerLorasTyrell

Is this proof private school pupils results are not an accurate representation of their ability?

Is this proof that state school pupils with the same grades are better "independant learners" than private school pupils?

You're a university admissions tutor and have two sets of identical grades (and similar personal statements) who do you take? The state or private school pupil and why?

It's worth mentioning that the difference is negligible for pupils with AAA or above. So this difference doesn't exist with the highest achieving pupils.
Reply 4
Is it possible that the whole study is entirely meaningless?

Go fish out some stats about ginger comprehensive students reading Economics compared to girls with one Jewish parent with AAB or above, reading Natural Sciences, and I'm sure you'll find a correlation.
Original post by Clip
Is it possible that the whole study is entirely meaningless?

Go fish out some stats about ginger comprehensive students reading Economics compared to girls with one Jewish parent with AAB or above, reading Natural Sciences, and I'm sure you'll find a correlation.

Sorry but the study makes sense, unlike your contribution

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Sorry but the study makes sense, unlike your contribution

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why? The differences are marginal and only applicable when applied to marginal attributes.

It smacks of "We didn't get the results we wanted, so we data mined until we did"
Original post by Clip
Why? The differences are marginal and only applicable when applied to marginal attributes.

It smacks of "We didn't get the results we wanted, so we data mined until we did"

130,000 samples hardly seems like data mining

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Shhhh. Don't upset

I haven't read this study, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. However, in practice that only really has implications for the mean of private and state school students. Because the two populations overlap so much, you can't make a decision on an individual based on the means. So if I had to choose between two applicants with equal grades and similar personal statements, I would interview both of them and choose the one who comes across as more intellectually flexible, regardless of schooling. If they both impressed me equally, I would take both of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending