The Student Room Group

What was neg rep and why was it used?

I heard about neg reps being taken away but why were people neg repped and is tsr better without the neg reps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by toonervoustotalk
I heard about neg reps being taken away but why were people neg repped and is tsr better without the neg reps

Posted from TSR Mobile

They were used when people didn't agree with or didn't like a post, so the opposite of the green one (pos rep). They disappeared about six months or so ago I think- it didn't make a lot of difference to me as I mostly just use the app but some people here feel very strong-minded about the whole thing :tongue: On the whole it's probably a good thing though that it's gone IMO :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
quality of posts have declined with the removal of neg rep
Reply 3
Original post by Robbie242

Basically this.

It allows people like me to get high repping power based on receiving most of my rep from jokes or one liners, rather than debates. That being said, rep doesn't really mean much anymore because negs were removed. Go figure.

It also means more trolls.
What Robbie said.
Reply 5
Original post by Robbie242
I don't think it has. Some people take a high neg count as a badge of honour.
Reply 6
They are missed, very badly. To think when I first started posting on TSR I used be scared of the posters who gave me neg rep.
Reply 7
Original post by meenu89
They are missed, very badly. To think when I first started posting on TSR I used be scared of the posters who gave me neg rep.
I remember giving you neg rep at every possible opportunity.
Reply 8
Original post by Namige
I remember giving you neg rep at every possible opportunity.

Can't even remember you to be honest :smile:
I'd probably be in red gems if negs were to come back :/
Reply 10
Original post by meenu89
Can't even remember you to be honest :smile:
Unfortunately the system of negging didn't allow for repeated negging over short periods :cry:
Reply 11
Original post by Namige
Unfortunately the system of negging didn't allow for repeated negging over short periods :cry:

Subs could rep 10 posters per day, while non-subs could only rep 5 per day. Posters had to rep 40 others before they could rep the same poster again.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
I love the new system got 5 gems in 2 months. Under the old system you would negged just for disagreeing with some prick
Now I can disagree with feminists and dawkins fanboys all day long
Reply 13
I use to get more + than - reps but I found most of my negative rep were for disagreeing with someone or having an un-popular oppinion.

Don't like the most over hyped band, **** you have 100 neg
Don't like the most watched TV show, **** you, 100 neg
Don't wear the latest fashion item, **** you, 200 neg
Have a different view on religion or creationism/evolution/sexuality/lifestyle, **** you 10 million neg

and so on
Reply 14
Original post by meenu89
Subs could neg the same person again in 10 days, while you lot had to wait for 40...

Wasn't it 10/40 reps not days you had to wait?
Reply 15
Original post by james1211
Wasn't it 10/40 reps not days you had to wait?

Corrected my post :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Once upon a time there was a magical land called TSR ruled over by the kindly Moderati.

Everyone there was happy and passed the time complimenting each other on their poorly shot photographs and

their talentless Youtube productions.

But as the years passed this magical kingdom was invaded by nasty people called The Trolls.

They made horrible comments and often had several identities to hide their evil doing.

The Moderati decided that they would hire a talented Webmaster to get rid of The Trolls once and for all.

They asked the people of TSR if they would contribute a few pounds a week to pay for the Webmaster. At first the people

of TSR said that was a brilliant idea and that they would be happy to pay to get rid of the horrible Trolls.

So the Webmaster set to work and devised a special tool called the Neg which enabled the good people to attack

the Trolls and their wickedness.

Within weeks the worst Trolls had been rooted out and the others were afraid to make any more nasty comments

in case they were removed too.

When the time came to pay the Webmaster the good people of TSR suddenly were very reluctant to cough up the

wonga. They said "The trolls have gone... it was our efforts which removed them; why should we have to pay ?"

And so the Webmaster was not paid for his work; the people of TSR found this quite "LOL".

The Webmaster was very very cross and told the Trolls that they could come back and that they would

not have to worry about the negs because he was abolishing them.

And that is why to this day you still find Trolls on TSR and never see the red neg gems.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by meenu89
Correct my post :smile:

To be honest i couldn't totally remember myself. It makes me feel ancient thinking about neg rep.
What the others have said.

Though I'm not convince the recent decline of post quality is purely due to lost of negs. There are other factors. I think it's more due to the fact that the better posters have left due to work/education or being banned leaving behind trolls.
It was a terrible move taking away negative rep.

Quick Reply

Latest