The Student Room Group

Well this is incredible...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by nexttime
Some universities don't even reach their international quotas. Internationals just make notoriously unrealiable medical students who are much less likely to work for the NHS long term, unfortunately.

The quota probably should be relaxed a bit though now that the EU is becoming a lot more mobile anyway. Medical education is a potentially very lucrative export.

Oxford accepts 1 or 2 internationals every year. With their quota they could accept up to 11-12
Reply 21
Original post by alihihg
Also, what in God's name is every university's problem with international students? Or rather, why the bloody government quota? I didn't know it was all okay to crush the dreams of people all over the world. I'm sorry that the United Kingdom is among THE best of places to study medicine. Being international sucks.

What on Earth makes you think that the UK is one of the best places? Exactly how many places are you including in 'best places'?

Don't get sucked in by the misplaced arrogance of many British pupils and students when it comes to how university education in the UK compares to elsewhere. They haven't actually compared it to anything.

International prestige is one thing, quality of education is another. Going to a better-known university will in most cases not matter one jot when it comes to applying for jobs as a doctor.
Reply 22
Original post by alihihg
Hello,

Looking back at this rant a little while later makes me realize how terribly immature and childish it is. I was just writing it in the heat of the moment and I probably shouldn't have posted it on the internet. So for anyone who I may have offended I do apologise. I realize that I'm not the only one with this hurdle and I really do appreciate anyone who's shown any support to me. Hopefully I'll have better chances next year.

What's your stats for this year? and where are you from? Which uni are you gonna apply next year>
Reply 23
Original post by ukmed108
Oxford accepts 1 or 2 internationals every year. With their quota they could accept up to 11-12

excuse me? is that actually true??
Reply 24
Original post by JackTeh96
excuse me? is that actually true??

Oxford has up to 14 places for internationals each year, for 2013 entry they accepted 1 and for 2014 entry they accepted 3.

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics
Reply 25
Original post by Bomb
Oxford has up to 14 places for internationals each year, for 2013 entry they accepted 1 and for 2014 entry they accepted 3.

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics

Impressive, Oxford has a huge turndown for internationals :s-smilie:
I am aiming for Cambridge medicine anyway :biggrin: I hope it will come true!!! Any recommendations for which college to pick ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending