The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 philosophy

Is anyone doing this paper? I'm struggling on how to write a good essay on life after death, any help will be appreciated:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 14Rosemary
Is anyone doing this paper? I'm struggling on how to write a good essay on life after death, any help will be appreciated:smile:

Sorry, it may not be appropriate- but here I go- I am doing Edexcel AS P&E, would you mind giving me any tips seeing as you have moved onto A2? I cannot find a lot of people on this thread that are on the Edexcel board.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by QUANTAM
Sorry, it may not be appropriate- but here I go- I am doing Edexcel AS P&E, would you mind giving me any tips seeing as you have moved onto A2? I cannot find a lot of people on this thread that are on the Edexcel board.

Thanks in advance.

Sure no problem, however I'm doing Philosophy and Islam. What philosophy questions are you doing? I basically write the essays and memorise them, philosophy questions always stay the same but are worded slightly differently so make sure you mould your essay to the question being asked especially for the A02 part. Hope that helps, if you have any more questions to ask I'll be happy to help! :smile:
Reply 3
Sure no problem, however I'm doing Philosophy and Islam. What philosophy questions are you doing? I basically write the essays and memorise them, philosophy questions always stay the same but are worded slightly differently so make sure you mould your essay to the question being asked especially for the A02 part. Hope that helps, if you have any more questions to ask I'll be happy to help! :smile:

Philosophy and ethics here. I am doing the Design argument, Evil and suffering, and also the Cosmological argument just in case they decide to mix with the DA.

Apart from the essays do you think I should do anything else?
Original post by QUANTAM
Philosophy and ethics here. I am doing the Design argument, Evil and suffering, and also the Cosmological argument just in case they decide to mix with the DA.

Apart from the essays do you think I should do anything else?

I actually did the design argument and evil and suffering questions last year and honestly that is the only method I use for philosophy when it comes to revision. However, to learn key philosophers and their argument I used acronyms and bullet points
Reply 5
I actually did the design argument and evil and suffering questions last year and honestly that is the only method I use for philosophy when it comes to revision. However, to learn key philosophers and their argument I used acronyms and bullet points

Thank you very much.
what sections are you going to do? out of Resurrection, Reincarnation, Rebirth and Immortality of the soul? or are you revising them all? :smile: what other topics are you going to do?
Original post by WhiteRose100
what sections are you going to do? out of Resurrection, Reincarnation, Rebirth and Immortality of the soul? or are you revising them all? :smile: what other topics are you going to do?

I'm just doing resurrection and reincarnation wbu?
ohh are you? my teacher suggested that we either do resurrection and immortality of the soul or rebirth and reincarnation because of a funny question he saw somewhere. I kind of have decided not do life after death, I'm doing Religious experience, Natural Moral law and Justice, law and punishment :smile:
Reincarnation and resurrection, religious experience and law Justice + punishment for me :biggrin: is anyone doing the westphal/ayer/donovan paper? I'm so worried about that one!
do you just have to learn two types for life after death? im really worried they'll give us a question about a specific two! eekk

That's why im learning essays for both religious experience and ontological argument in case the one iv learnt doesn't come up :s-smilie:
Original post by orchid222
do you just have to learn two types for life after death? im really worried they'll give us a question about a specific two! eekk

That's why im learning essays for both religious experience and ontological argument in case the one iv learnt doesn't come up :s-smilie:

They've never actually done that, it was just on a practice paper once, you can only do ONE out of religious experience and ontological though so don't learn both.
Original post by orchid222

But religious experience and the ontological argument are both above the line in the philosophy section... surely it would make better sense to learn one above and one below?
This is how it goes…
Philosophy
Above the line:

RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE

ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT

CRITIQUES OF RELIGIOUS BELIEF

Below the line:

RELIGIOUS LANGUAGE

LIFE AFTER DEATH

Ethics
Above the line:

DEONTOLOGY

VIRTUE ETHICS

NATURAL MORAL LAW

CRITIQUE OF RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN RELIGION AND MORALITY

Below the line:

JUSTICE, LAW & PUNISHMENT

ETHICAL LANGUAGE

Original post by LockeyearM
But religious experience and the ontological argument are both above the line in the philosophy section... surely it would make better sense to learn one above and one below?

I think I've got this wrong :s-smilie: basically for philosophy im doing life after death and religious experience
but what if religious experience is not one of the questions and edexcel decide to go for ontological and critiques of religious belief
is it guaranteed that religious experience always comes up? sorry im so rubbish about this! x
Religious experience and the ontological argument always come up, critiques of religious belief is a far rarer one, but when they put it in the paper, the other two topics are still there. I doubt they'll deviate from this pattern. For example, the June 2012 paper asked a question on critiques of religious belief and then a combined question for religious experience and the ontological argument. Similarly, the June 2013 paper asked a combined question on critiques of religious belief and religious experience, and the second question was on the ontological argument.
Don't panic :smile:
what questions are you doing for philosophy??
Religious experience and religious language... However, we were not taught Life after Death but I dislike Religious language so much I'm tempted to teach it to myself his close to the exam...
Is anyone else doing Hinduism? Nobody seems to do it! :frown: I need some help with Dharma! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending