The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
darkfairy753
Solution: don't read crap magazines.

:ditto:
Reply 21
I don't think bigger women are being praised like skinny women have been for the past few years?? Look at hollywood! How many of those women are over a size 10? If curves were truly accepted then women with them wouldn't be paraded in these magazines like some revelation, they would just be accepted. No matter how many of these ultra skinny women they critise, thin women are portrayed simply as looking beautiful in their latest posh frock, as opposed to "miss x, proud of her curves and looking 'bootylicious' "

Curves are made into a big deal, so higlights our issues with them! I hate those stupid gossip magazines (heat, closer, etc)... only 6 months ago i opened up closer to find an article about what the actual weight boundaries were for your height... 80% of the women featured were under weight according to their figures, each posted with a comment from that particular celeb...i remember one saying that she was so strict about her diet because she wanted to look the way she did... no comment from closer about how it was dangerous to her health!!!!. I abhore them! I'm a size 10 with curves but am also quite muscley as I do quite a bit of gym work and I get some crappy cheap publication making me feel terrible about how I look because of how much I weigh??? I eat healthily, I get plenty of exercise and look after myself, yet it is me and others like me paying the price with our self-esteem so some company can sell more copies of it's useless magazine??!!!

P.S. I now refuse to read those magazines or anything like them and have realised that not only am I normal, but I look good! ;judge;
PoisonDonna
Gosh she looks dreadful sometimes doesn't she?

Have you heard how Charlotte Church has now decided to get down to an 8, after everything people say about her. That's just cruel.

Charlotte won't suit being a size 8.That's just not her natural size.She's not exactly obese anyway;she's just not as skinny as other celebs.
LouE3D
I don't think bigger women are being praised like skinny women have been for the past few years?? Look at hollywood! How many of those women are over a size 10? If curves were truly accepted then women with them wouldn't be paraded in these magazines like some revelation, they would just be accepted. No matter how many of these ultra skinny women they critise, thin women are portrayed simply as looking beautiful in their latest posh frock, as opposed to "miss x, proud of her curves and looking 'bootylicious' "

Curves are made into a big deal, so higlights our issues with them! I hate those stupid gossip magazines (heat, closer, etc)... only 6 months ago i opened up closer to find an article about what the actual weight boundaries were for your height... 80% of the women featured were under weight according to their figures, each posted with a comment from that particular celeb...i remember one saying that she was so strict about her diet because she wanted to look the way she did... no comment from closer about how it was dangerous to her health!!!!. I abhore them! I'm a size 10 with curves but am also quite muscley as I do quite a bit of gym work and I get some crappy cheap publication making me feel terrible about how I look because of how much I weigh??? I eat healthily, I get plenty of exercise and look after myself, yet it is me and others like me paying the price with our self-esteem so some company can sell more copies of it's useless magazine??!!!

P.S. I now refuse to read those magazines or anything like them and have realised that not only am I normal, but I look good! ;judge;

Amen to that sista!

I remember seeing on the cover of a magazine a few weeks ago pictures of celebrities like Evangline Lily and Victoria Beckham with the headline 'We make our lives miserable to look this good.'

But Victoria Beckham doesn't even look good.She looks ill.

As I said in the Nicole Richie thread the other day-it's scary how just a few years ago a size 10 was slim and size 6-8 was skinny and now there are people aiming to get into size 4s and size 2s(!!!).It's scary.I remember watching a TV show about anorexia a few months ago and they showed this girl who had....anorexia...and she looked 'normal' by Hollywood standards.Heck,they might even have regarded her as fat.:rolleyes:

I'll admit I'm not happy with myself as I am at the moment(I was an 8 before Christmas but have gone up to a 10-12) but that's because I have a small frame.I'm not overly miserable about my weight/shape though.I know I'm not obese/overweight but yet,if I stood next to some Hollywood star I'd look enormous.

I think this whole Hollywood 'let's see how thin we can get' is dangerous.

People like Nicole Richie etc don't look healthy anyway...they look starved and malnourished.Give me Scarlett Johansson over them any day.
Reply 24
There is nothing wrong with Charlotte Church!!!
Reply 25
cherrychocolate
People like Nicole Richie etc don't look healthy anyway...they look starved and malnourished.Give me Scarlett Johansson over them any day.

That's because they are starved and malnourished!!! Everyone will not fit into one ideal.... We are so diverse, i wish that people would just be accepted for their natural frame and shape?!

Some suit size 8
Some suit size 12
Some suit size 16

Alot of it is down to our genetic makeup and constantly fighting and berrating that is unnatural. Being over weight is unhealthy, being underweight is unhealthy... i think it is really important to take responsibility for our ownselves and look after our bodies the best we can, find our optimum and strive for that, not the medias, not societies, but our own!!!

What are we supposed to do? have cosmetic surgery to alter our bone structure???
Reply 26
LouE3D

What are we supposed to do? have cosmetic surgery to alter our bone structure???

Seriously, give it a few years

I wanna see Marilyn Monroe curves again, not hipbones but a little bit of stomach and thighs. Playboy circa the 50's and 60's they're the figures we should still be praising nowadays rather than the uber-thin.
I don't think curvier girls are more celebrated today at all...seperated maybe, as someone said they're always 'bootylicious' or some name like that, they can't just be 'beautiful'

Gossip mags a just damn awful.
Reply 27
all shapes, all sizes, all equal. Health, above ALL else, should be paramount!
The media (more specifically, tabloids&cheap magazines) have many many problems. They moan when people get fat, they moan when people get thin. MAke up your blooming mind.

And they don't teach people how to be healthy. Thy have idols, impossible perfections, but not healthy-ness.

Gr.
Lovely jubbly!
cinder
Playboy circa the 50's and 60's they're the figures we should still be praising nowadays rather than the uber-thin.

Why should we be praising any figure above any other (natural) figure?

:rolleyes:
Reply 31
Ohhh my friend and I had a good rant about this the other day!

I want to see magazines where women's intellect is challenged and appreciated rather than these ridiculous faddy diets that magazines like Closer present to us, where you're expected to eat an avocado and about 5 cashew nuts a day and that's your lot. :rolleyes:

The reason magazines chop and change between praising skinniness one day and curviness the next is because they're trying to appeal to a mass market and really they're demonstrating the amount of influence they have.
Reply 32
sea_song
Ohhh my friend and I had a good rant about this the other day!

I want to see magazines where women's intellect is challenged and appreciated rather than these ridiculous faddy diets that magazines like Closer present to us, where you're expected to eat an avocado and about 5 cashew nuts a day and that's your lot. :rolleyes:

The reason magazines chop and change between praising skinniness one day and curviness the next is because they're trying to appeal to a mass market and really they're demonstrating the amount of influence they have.

This is why I refuse to read those ridiculous magas(z?)ines, the only magas(z?)ine I read is a nursing one which actually teaches me something relevant to me.
I hate gossip magazines. If they're not gossiping about someone's size then they're bitching about who a celebrity is shagging.

I know that the so-called magazines (I like to call them 'rags') are supposed to up a person's self-esteem by showing that 'celebrities' have wobbly bits, but when they go into so much detail about how Donatella Versace's cellulite could be made into another person, the reader's depression sinks lower when they see that so-and-so's thighs look exactly like yours... I quite like my wobbly bits, I don't want to be told that I have to get rid of them.

Also, another things which annoys me are the 'real-life' stories. Many are based upon topics, such as 'my boyfriend's penis is 3 inches long' which really don't interest other readers...

I tend to read environmentalist magazines, such as Lifescape (I'm sad, lol) which are very informative and actually report on important topics such as global warming. Also, the Big Issue is also suprisingly informative!
Clarence
I've got the curse of curves.

Love it.

Me too :smile:
aced
OK, here's something i've been thinking about.

5 years or so ago, all the crappy magazines like "Heat" were printing pictures of super-thin women, and women were idolising them.

Now, this idea seems to have backfired. "Heat" is printing pictures of skinny people like Paris Hilton, and saying "nice dress sense, but far too skinny", or something along those lines. Women who are fatter (or, as the magazines like to put it, "curvier") are much respected.

I think that the whole idea is good because it encourages women not to be so worried and stressed out about their figure, and it discourages them from crash dieting, and over-exercising. However, i think the whole thing has been overdone a touch. if you're naturally skinny, then you're not curvy enough. If you're plain fat, you're a "big beautiful woman". Skinny people are viewed as fat people were viewed 5 or so years ago.

I think a balance needs to be struck; the ideal body should be not too fat, and not too skinny. But it is important to remember that everyone has a different frame with different bones, and some people suit different amounts of bodyfat.

I dunno, some magazines have pictures of really thin models saying 'omg too thin' then have other pictures of 'normal celebrity women' i.e. still really quite slim, and generally looking quite perfect :rolleyes: And people refer to them as curvy?! Okay yeah maybe in comparison to all the anorexic models, but come on, that's not curvy! Evans models are curvy and that's nice, but it worries me when I see people talk about normal celebrity women as curvy because they're really just not - in H&R the other day there was someone talking about 'omg wouldn't you so prefer to sleep with CZJ than Keira Knightley because she's curvy and Keira's too skinny!' Personally I hardly see a difference, and if that's what curvy is then to be honest I must just be plain old fat!
I read yesterday that some British shops were going to start stocking UK size 0's - I didn't even know that a size that small existed! I wonder how long it'll be before women start slimming into negative-sizes... :rolleyes:

Have to love the discrepancies between the UK and US sizes though - only in America am I a size 6/8. :smile: Normally a size 10/12 in England, and H&M produce the labels for most of their clothes in a European size and US size, which means I can feel 2 sizes smaller! *grin*

I'm one of the cursed curvy women - very slim waist, hourglass hips, larger bust. Kinda works for me in a redheaded, pre-raphealite way :P
Angelharpist
I read yesterday that some British shops were going to start stocking UK size 0's - I didn't even know that a size that small existed! I wonder how long it'll be before women start slimming into negative-sizes... :rolleyes:

:eek: !!!!!!
LouE3D
all shapes, all sizes, all equal. Health, above ALL else, should be paramount!

exactly, but can anyone say that NIcole Richie looks healthy? Its no waay her structure, if it was she wouldnt have been larger in the past, and when i mean larger, i mean size 8-10, which imo suited her. That was her frame know she looks deathly ill imo, and its a shame cos sehe used to pretty
Reply 39
I've never read Heat, but I totally agree with you have to say about the current perception toward skinny people. While I am not stick thin, I am slim and toned, and one thing that I notice more frequently is how many people tell me that I need to eat more and that I am too skinny. This is going to sound mean, but half of the time I feel like telling those people that "I'm not skinny, you're just fat." I will never say that, but I don't think having a slim, healthy look should be veiwed as an anomaly.

Latest

Trending

Trending