The Student Room Group

"Curvy Women" Syndrome

OK, here's something i've been thinking about.

5 years or so ago, all the crappy magazines like "Heat" were printing pictures of super-thin women, and women were idolising them.

Now, this idea seems to have backfired. "Heat" is printing pictures of skinny people like Paris Hilton, and saying "nice dress sense, but far too skinny", or something along those lines. Women who are fatter (or, as the magazines like to put it, "curvier") are much respected.

I think that the whole idea is good because it encourages women not to be so worried and stressed out about their figure, and it discourages them from crash dieting, and over-exercising. However, i think the whole thing has been overdone a touch. if you're naturally skinny, then you're not curvy enough. If you're plain fat, you're a "big beautiful woman". Skinny people are viewed as fat people were viewed 5 or so years ago.

I think a balance needs to be struck; the ideal body should be not too fat, and not too skinny. But it is important to remember that everyone has a different frame with different bones, and some people suit different amounts of bodyfat.

Scroll to see replies

Heat is the most contradictory magazine ever.One minute it's 'OMGZZZZ FATTY!!!1111eleventyone!"322one!!!!omne!' and then next it's 'EAT A SANDWICH BITCHZZZZZZ'.....pfft...there seems to be no happy medium.Criticised for gaining weight,accused of eating disorders for losing it.
Reply 2
I've got the curse of curves.

Love it.
Reply 3
cherrychocolate
Heat is the most contradictory magazine ever.One minute it's 'OMGZZZZ FATTY!!!1111eleventyone!"322one!!!!omne!' and then next it's 'EAT A SANDWICH BITCHZZZZZZ'.....pfft...there seems to be no happy medium.Criticised for gaining weight,accused of eating disorders for losing it.

exactly!
I don't think a balance can be struck when it comes to outlining the ideal body. People naturally differ in weight and build and what constitutes a healthy size for one person may not be as good for another.

The real solution is to convince people that magazines like "Heat" are totally stupid for trying to tell people how to look. As long as there is the perception of the "ideal body", some people are going to go to extremes to try and acheive it. As long as someone has a weight which is healthy for them, there's no reason for them to try and change it in any big way - it causes too many problems.
Clarence

Love it.

Stop bragging!
Reply 6
YEH, but they're very entertaining; but that's a different story!
Reply 7
I just look at the pictures.
Reply 8
Clarence

Love it.

You have m'dear. I've got it too. In fact, I imagine quite a few people have :wink: .
Reply 9
Yeah, curvy men just don't do it for me.
Reply 10
ahhahahaha.. men are straight even if they got fat tissues... or if you prefer.. round XD
Reply 11
Exactly.

Women need to have curves....otherwise, it's just not sexy.
Reply 12
The media probably realise that their obsession with being thin a few years back has increased the number of eating disorders and so they're now frantically trying to overcome this by suggesting that 'curvy' women (i.e. a size 12) is 'big' and this 'beautiful' when in fact a size 16 is the national average for a woman.
Reply 13
Clarence

Love it.

:smile:.
Reply 14
Is a size 16 national average a good thing? Also, my missus swings between size 4 and 6 and she is in no danger of being underweight without being anywhere near overweight. Just how big is a 16 or even a 12?
Reply 15
syndrome? i didn't know it was a medical illness..
Reply 16
Sire
Is a size 16 national average a good thing? Also, my missus swings between size 4 and 6 and she is in no danger of being underweight without being anywhere near overweight. Just how big is a 16 or even a 12?

A 4 or a 6 is tiny in the UK. The smallest size you can get in most womens clothes shops is a 6. I think Victoria Beckham must be about a 4-6.
Reply 17
Curvy rocks. I love my hippy hippy shakes. *shakes*
Reply 18
i love my curves!!!!!!!!!
A 4 or a 6 is tiny in the UK. The smallest size you can get in most womens clothes shops is a 6. I think Victoria Beckham must be about a 4-6.

Gosh she looks dreadful sometimes doesn't she?

Have you heard how Charlotte Church has now decided to get down to an 8, after everything people say about her. That's just cruel.

Latest

Trending

Trending