The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Clarence
Women need to have curves....otherwise, it's just not sexy.

I agree. :biggrin:
Nicole Richie is a bad example though, shes too thin, and she seems to know shes too thin. Eating disorders aren't something you can just snap out of, though.

Health is most important, out of everythyhiing. People get so worked up about numbers - they're just nto important.
unfinished sympathy
exactly, but can anyone say that NIcole Richie looks healthy? Its no waay her structure, if it was she wouldnt have been larger in the past, and when i mean larger, i mean size 8-10, which imo suited her. That was her frame know she looks deathly ill imo, and its a shame cos sehe used to pretty

Yeah, she used to be gorgeous when she was curvy - same as Lindsay Lohan actually. They both suited the 'normal,' feminine shape...such a shame...

That's why I have respect for people like Jennifer Lopez, as she doesn't try to battle against her natural curvier shape - she works WITH it instead. Same with Catherine Zeta Jones. They're both pear shaped, but get a huge amount of male attention. Suppose it proves that men are programmed to seek out curvier hipped women, who'll provide them with healthier offspring. :rolleyes:

BTW, Unfinished Sympathy, still madly in love with your avatar! :biggrin: Can't believe how much it looks like my puppy...
But people who have an eating disorder, I'm not sure if Nicole Richie has one, cannot just snap out of it. Eating disorders can be bred out of a number of different things, i.e depression, etc. and may not always be the result of the person saying "I'm fat."

However, I am annoyed that some magazines have now started to praise Nicole Richie's skinny figure, by saying that she looks nice. It's only encouraging the readers to follow suit.
some people say im too skinny i think im really skinny too size 6/8, and im short, i can eat and eat and i dont get fat, except my belly does go bigger a bit which i don't want so i eat normally. i hate being so small (short/skinny) very small boned i guess. :frown:
Reply 45
Simulatio

Health is most important, out of everythyhiing. People get so worked up about numbers - they're just nto important.

:ditto: :smile:
Reply 46
guitargirl03
But people who have an eating disorder, I'm not sure if Nicole Richie has one, cannot just snap out of it. Eating disorders can be bred out of a number of different things, i.e depression, etc. and may not always be the result of the person saying "I'm fat."

However, I am annoyed that some magazines have now started to praise Nicole Richie's skinny figure, by saying that she looks nice. It's only encouraging the readers to follow suit.

How can she not have an eating disorder?! The fact that she's admitted being too thin aside, how else would she have lost that much weight so fast and look so gaunt?

I love Heat and all the trashy gossip magazines and I'll happily admit that my favourite bits are the ones about weight and celebrities' weights. I'm glad they're more into the curvy phase at the moment, but I do find myself looking at some of the people they label 'curvy' and thinking "if they're curvy I must be fat".

Deep down I know I'm not, I'm what I would call curvy. I'm 5ft 10 and a size 12, sometimes a 10, and have a definite hourglass shape. These articles do make me feel very self conscious though. Well, some do. If I feel the celebs look a lot smaller than me but are still being labelled curvy then it does bother me. If it's showing celebs that have put on weight, however, I love it. Guilty pleasure, it's sad really. These mags have so much influence on so many people and, despite trying to send out a more positive image lately, they are still making people feel insecure by labelling really slim girls 'curvy'.
Reply 47
I'm still waiting for the day when catwalks will be filled with normal sized curvy women and not thin skinny rakes.

The media and fashion industry is obsessed. It really frustrates me when i see nice clothing but it doesn't fit me or look right due to the fact it was designed for someone with no arse or tits.
Clarence
I'm still waiting for the day when catwalks will be filled with normal sized curvy women and not thin skinny rakes.

The media and fashion industry is obsessed. It really frustrates me when i see nice clothing but it doesn't fit me or look right due to the fact it was designed for someone with no arse or tits.
i dont get what what changed, from the fifties to today. For some reason these ex- concentration camp victims seem to be on most designers wish list, what went wrong. WHats wrong with models like Bettina- sure maybe not a classic beauty, but she had curves, and was a proper woman!

i think i can answeer my own question though- twiggy, its all her fault :wink:
bunthulhu
:eek: !!!!!!

She probably meant US size 0's.

If they were going to stock UK 0's, they would have to start stocking UK 4's and 2's first...

Anyway, I don't get why some people complain about stores stocking small sizes. What the hell do they expect small people to wear?
squirly
How can she not have an eating disorder?! The fact that she's admitted being too thin aside, how else would she have lost that much weight so fast and look so gaunt?

She, as far as I've heard, has not actually admitted to having an eating disorder. Sure, she looks unhealthy, but she hasn't actually admitted to having one. Gossip magazines thrive off of making accusations about a person's weight, because, afterall, that's how they sell their magazines each week.
more adventurous

Anyway, I don't get why some people complain about stores stocking small sizes. What the hell do they expect small people to wear?

Lol, that is very true. People automatically assume that, just because you're a size 6 you're rake thin, when in fact the person could just be small all over...
darkfairy753
What I don't understand is why girls read stuff like that. It's hardly interesting... knowing how much some random celebs weigh. What exactly is the purpose? To make girls feel like they should be a certain way? It does make girls insecure, and I really don't understand how it is actually pleasurable in reading it... Who really cares, and why should they?

I say we boycott magazines...

*then there was silence*

I don't enjoy them, at all. We go on school trips, everyone else is reading Heat and other magazines, I'm there with my "Psychologies" looking totally cool!

I just find the fashion and media world so shallow. Celebrities are real people too, who cares if they're 6 stone or 60 stone? Their weight isn't what put them into the position they are in, its because they were a good actor or singer, and they fitted the role. Weight is irrelevent in this situation - its only important because people prioritise it.

Just...gah.
Reply 53
Simulatio
I don't enjoy them, at all. We go on school trips, everyone else is reading Heat and other magazines, I'm there with my "Psychologies" looking totally cool!

I just find the fashion and media world so shallow. Celebrities are real people too, who cares if they're 6 stone or 60 stone? Their weight isn't what put them into the position they are in, its because they were a good actor or singer, and they fitted the role. Weight is irrelevent in this situation - its only important because people prioritise it.

Just...gah.

I read 'Psychologies' as well! I HATE trashy magazines! Also I totally agree that celebs are real people. I saw Laurence Llwellyn-Bowen at Club Tropicana in Cuba (okay maybe he's not THAT much of a celebrity) but anyway everyone was whispering and nudging each other and then after the show everyone crowded round him and wouldn't leave him alone. I felt like saying FOR GOD'S SAKE GET A LIFE PEOPLE! Poor celebrities...

I feel sad that everyone's obsessed with being size 10 or lower. I used to weigh 12 stone and was a size 16/18 now I've lost 2 stone and I'm a size 12/14. I WAS feeling proud of myself but then the stupid media ruined my confidence...
I quite like a curvy woman.....
darkfairy753
What I don't understand is why girls read stuff like that. It's hardly interesting... knowing how much some random celebs weigh. What exactly is the purpose? To make girls feel like they should be a certain way? It does make girls insecure, and I really don't understand how it is actually pleasurable in reading it... Who really cares, and why should they?

I say we boycott magazines...

*then there was silence*

The thing is it is pathetic to actually care what a bunch of strangers weight but I have to say that I do always read that kind of stuff (although I rarely actually buy the magazines). I don't know why I am interested, I wish I wasn't but I can never understand how people are interested in something like Big Brother. It is just a bunch of strangers chatting in a house- to me that is boring but obviously there are loads of people that disagree with me, hence why it gets loads of viewers. So basically people care about different things.
I've noticed plenty of magazines talk about how curves are the new thin, and then on the next page they have fad diets and exercise tips.
Reply 57
I hate how magazines are doing this, I'm thin, I always have been and it's never really been an issue until recently (I'm a UK size 6). I did put on quite a bit of weight at Uni but that's because I did no exercise during my first year, once I started exercising again in my second year the weight fell off.

Anyway, I'm now being made to feel like a freak because I'm thin. I have tiny bones and it doesn't look that bad on me. I've actually tried to put on weight recently because I feel pressured to but it's so much hard work I've given up and decided people have to accept me for who I am. (oh, and the pressure doesn't come from the magazines, it comes from people).

i think at the end of the day, magazines are trying to tell us that we should be looking for a Scarlett Johansen type figure. Yes she looks good but that is just not acheivable by 90% of women. She's not skinny, she's not overweight, but what's there to say that she is actually perfect? As long as you are healthy and you haven't got a GP breathing down your neck telling you to lose/gain weight then you are absolutely fine and no-one can tell you otherwise.
Reply 58
Angelharpist

That's why I have respect for people like Jennifer Lopez, as she doesn't try to battle against her natural curvier shape - she works WITH it instead.

I heard she got arse implants. Did anyone hear this too?

Being healthy should be ''the new thin''. That way, eating too much or too little would be uncool.

On another note, its interesting how many people condemn trashy celeb mags considering they sell like hot cakes. :rolleyes:
Reply 59
I'd so prefer the new "in" figure to be athletic bodies (even though i aint got one myself). that way it would enocourage people to actually keep fit and be healthy at the same time.

And yeah it pisses me off seeing a size 10 being described as "curvy"

Latest

Trending

Trending