The Student Room Group

Girls, would you be ok with a part-time working husband?

Poll

Would it be fine with you?

Let's say your husband worked part-time like many women do and made enough money to support himself and pay his part of the bills/rent. Would you be ok with that? And this even before any kids are in the picture. Would it be fine with you?

Scroll to see replies

Yes I would. Doesn't really matter as long as we have enough for bills. So if he's working part time I would assume I'm working as well and have enough for bills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I don't want no scrubs.
Reply 3
Hunch says it'd probably depend a lot on money earned. Part time on 150k a year still with a couple of days off to help with the house? Winning all day. Part time earns enough to cover holidays and a couple of luxuries whilst she pays mortgage, bills, school fees etc.? Not so widely accepted, though it should be.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
No, I don't want no scrubs.

:rofl:
Reply 5
Many women in order to not look hypocritical will say its fine, rather than fall into the trap the OP has set up for them quite obviously there.

In reality very few would be ok with it, which is why its so rare.
As long as we had enough money to pay for everything and be comfortable enough, then yes I would be fine with a partner working part-time. Gives you more time to actually live.
Reply 7
So far nearly all voters are male. K.
Reply 8
Depends on many factors:
If I was working my arse off in long hours to earn a good income
If he was still earning a decent income
What our outgoings were

But so long as he was still bringing a fair amount to the table so we could pay our way through life? Sure, not an issue at all.
Reply 9
Original post by Huskaris
Many women in order to not look hypocritical will say its fine, rather than fall into the trap the OP has set up for them quite obviously there.

But millennial women say that they are tired of gender roles and expectations.
Depends really. Why was he part time? If his part time earnings were similar to my full time earnings, fair play to him. But if his being part time meant I had to support us, just because he didn't want to work more, then no, I wouldn't be.
Reply 11
Original post by jamieTT
But millennial women say that they are tired of gender roles and expectations.

Yeah, tired of the expectation of doing stuff around the home etc.

Not tired of the expectation of men paying etc.

Then again it's only fair because women have been oppressed through generations.

Yes, you're probably right - but why should we be okay with it? I'd say the burden is more on men to want an ambitious woman than for women to accept a lazy man.
Yeah I'd be fine with it. We'd have more time to spend together :h: I don't see why anyone wouldn't be okay with it
Reply 14
Original post by joker12345
Yes, you're probably right - but why should we be okay with it? I'd say the burden is more on men to want an ambitious woman than for women to accept a lazy man.

The "burden" has been on men since the dawn of time, so I don't see that changing any time soon either.

But yeah, it's our responsibility to hunt out the ambitious ones.
Reply 15
Original post by phoebe17
Depends on many factors:
If I was working my arse off in long hours to earn a good income
If he was still earning a decent income
What our outgoings were

But so long as he was still bringing a fair amount to the table so we could pay our way through life? Sure, not an issue at all.

He makes enough to cover his side of expenses, that's it. No more, no less.

Why is it hypocritical if I say no?

**** it, I said no anyway, who cares lololol.
Reply 17
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Why is it hypocritical if I say no?

**** it, I said no anyway, who cares lololol.

More women stay at home than men, I'm guessing OPs next question to you would be "would you be content working part-time while he works full time"

Having said that I admire your honesty. If the roles were reversed I wouldn't want some lazy husband.
Reply 18
Original post by jamieTT
He makes enough to cover his side of expenses, that's it. No more, no less.

I, myself, would maybe be a little disappointed (I tend to aim for more than the average having grown up always doing the average or less, holidaying in the UK and watching my friends live nicer lifestyles-petty but it certainly shapes you!) if his part time work stopped me living the lifestyle I wanted.

Please don't think me shallow or a nasty human being, at the moment me and my partner are in this situation where he works a fairly low skilled, part timed, low paying job and it does prevent us (not just me) doing the things we'd like to do. So yes, it'd be disappointing but I'm sure I could live with it.
It's not an issue for me if he has a great personality and is the one, I would just wait for him until he's financially stabled and then I will marry him.

Quick Reply

Latest