The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Any 2014 Biomed students here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by El1894
Yeah sure, I'm peer guiding this year so feel free to ask anything, including sports and accommodation related.I'll be about during freshers week too.

Biomed is very different to the rest of the degrees in biological sciences, for example the other degrees are split into tutorial groups of about 8, while all the biomeds are in one big group.

Now I know you're thinking "oh gosh thats a fair few people" but the degree is no larger than 30, and our tutor is Merfyn Williams (the degree director).
If you need to get to know him he's great (he's actually my project supervisor for 3rd year and he's really good at answering any questions you have). I personally wouldn't want anyone else as my tutor as he's the only practising biomedical scientist that actually works at the university (some of our lecturers come down from the hospital).

As a degree group (at least in my year) we're quite tight knit as after 1st year most of our lectures and practicals are solely our degree, with the odd biologist. We go on nights out together and its great. Basically everybody knows each other, unlike on the larger degrees.

The workload is definitely tougher than your average degree, but some modules are definitely easier than others. Unfortunately our accreditation means you're stuck with these modules, but that also means theres no stress of choosing modules.

In first year theres only really 1 big essay/ project, a couple of tutorial essays and some practical reports. A lot of it is exams, then 2nd year is a bit more essay and practical based with less MCQ exams.

Anything else just give me a shout.

Elaine :smile:

Ah! Giving presentations in front of that many is a bit of a pants filling prospect tbh (I'm actually not that bad at doing them once I'm up there, its more the thought!).

I actually met Merfyn when I came up for an open day in March. Seems like a nice guy.

They did mention to us that it isn't an easy degree, I'm prepared (I think/hope!) for a bit more complexity/depth than most other programmes.

Cheers,

Tom
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by vox_celeste
Ah! Giving presentations in front of that many is a bit of a pants filling prospect tbh (I'm actually not that bad at doing them once I'm up there, its more the thought!).

I actually met Merfyn when I came up for an open day in March. Seems like a nice guy.

They did mention to us that it isn't an easy degree, I'm prepared (I think/hope!) for a bit more complexity/depth than most other programmes.

Cheers,

Tom

Yeah its scary but at the end of the day it prepares you for presentations for things such as dissertations, which are in front of larger audiences than 8 people.

Merf also has Jess (Phd student) help him out sometimes.

Yes some lecturers will also remind you how at times you have someones life in your hands, but all in all its a brilliant degree.
Original post by El1894
Yeah its scary but at the end of the day it prepares you for presentations for things such as dissertations, which are in front of larger audiences than 8 people.

Merf also has Jess (Phd student) help him out sometimes.

Yes some lecturers will also remind you how at times you have someones life in your hands, but all in all its a brilliant degree.

How many do you have to give in first year?! haha

Very excited and can't wait to get stuck into it!
Reply 23
Original post by vox_celeste
How many do you have to give in first year?! haha

Very excited and can't wait to get stuck into it!

I can't remember off the top of my head, but theres not so many your snowed under.

Glad your excited.
Reply 24
Original post by El1894
I can't remember off the top of my head, but theres not so many your snowed under.

Glad your excited.

Hey,

I hope you don't mind me asking you a question. What did you find better for the course having a mac or just a normal laptop. I'm going to be getting a new laptop or mac anyway but I thought I better check to see if there any specific program's needed for the course.

Thanks
Reply 25
Original post by Tom.Wynn
Hey,

I hope you don't mind me asking you a question. What did you find better for the course having a mac or just a normal laptop. I'm going to be getting a new laptop or mac anyway but I thought I better check to see if there any specific program's needed for the course.

Thanks

This is a question I can ask very well as I had a PC for 1st year and then upgraded to a mac at the start of 2nd year.

Really its personal preference as I honestly prefer my mac, although either supports any software you might get given during the course, I would recommend getting one you'll stick with for the whole degree as i had to redownload some software when I swapped.

Atleast one of the lecturers likes to use evernote, but you don't need to download it unless you want to, as you can use it via the internet on both mac and PC.

Hope that helps
Elaine
Reply 26
Original post by El1894
This is a question I can ask very well as I had a PC for 1st year and then upgraded to a mac at the start of 2nd year.

Really its personal preference as I honestly prefer my mac, although either supports any software you might get given during the course, I would recommend getting one you'll stick with for the whole degree as i had to redownload some software when I swapped.

Atleast one of the lecturers likes to use evernote, but you don't need to download it unless you want to, as you can use it via the internet on both mac and PC.

Hope that helps
Elaine

Hey Elaine,

Thank you for the quick response and information, I will probably get a mac then :smile:.

Thanks
Tom
Original post by El1894

Glad your excited.

What sort of numerical/maths stuff will I need to brush up on?

Is it mostly stats?
Reply 28
Yes its pretty much all stats, but all of the numerical and essay technique stuff is covered in a College-wide module called Introductory Research Skills (IRS).

You really don't need to worry about brushing up on anything until its covered in lectures or pracs, they go over it then and you can ask for help pretty easily then too.

The only thing I'd really recommend brushing up on if you wanted to is your units, for example micro, nano etc. as you'll use this quite early on.

Quick Reply

Latest