The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Mature Students 23/24

Hi, im starting in September 2023 and studying Modern Languages. I will be 32 when starting. Any other mature students?
I'm studying Medicine and I'm 29!
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Ltm91
Hi, im starting in September 2023 and studying Modern Languages. I will be 32 when starting. Any other mature students?

Hi,

I’m also starting in September and have applied to study biomedical science. I’ll be 30 when I begin! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I'm studying Medicine and I'm 29!

Staying in student accom? Im moving from the isle of wight so planning on halls. Be cool to start a fb chat or something of older students. I was aiming for med but didnt get the grades.
Reply 4
Original post by NikkiRed
Hi,

I’m also starting in September and have applied to study biomedical science. I’ll be 30 when I begin! :smile:

Hi ,
I am thinking about studying biomed next year part time, what’s the course like?
Reply 5
Original post by Ljupe
Hi ,
I am thinking about studying biomed next year part time, what’s the course like?

Hi,

Sorry for the untimely & incredibly long response!

I have found Biomed to be really interesting and i’m very much enjoying the course so far. It will vary between universities, but at York, the contact hours are high and there is a lot to learn! It can be challenging, however the content is great and the lecturers are very supportive.

As with any course, it really varies between uni’s, so do your research.

Here are some things to check when applying for biomed:

Contact hours.

Module content: this can vary widely between uni’s and depends on whether the uni is IBMS accredited (see below) or not.

How much chemistry content there is: some courses require you to have learnt chemistry prior and some don’t! (Though it is useful to get your head around some concepts.)

Final degree classification: at York the first year doesn’t count to your final degree mark, which gives you time to settle in and make mistakes. A friend studying the same course at Leeds tells me the first year there does count, adding a bit more pressure!

How you are assessed: some uni’s are heavily coursework based, some have closed exams or open exams, group work (presentations, posters) etc.

Finally, if you haven’t already done so, look into IBMS accreditation. Briefly, to become a registered biomedical scientist you must have completed your degree at a IBMS accredited university and done a portfolio. I researched thoroughly the role of a biomedical scientist and decided it wasn’t for me, so chose a non-accredited course. However, if it is something you are interested in, look at uni’s which offer accreditation - it’s also important to note that not all accredited uni’s actually offer the portfolio, so do your research and don’t be afraid to ask the uni’s directly.

I’m happy to help if you have anymore questions,

Nikki. 🙂
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending