The Student Room Group

Latin a-level students

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone got any ideas what the 10-mark question for Ovid will be? That's what I'm most scared about tbh

We had a mock for set texts only a few weeks ago, came back to revising Ovid today and although I knew a fair amount of it, there were still so many gaps in my knowledge!! Getting a bit anxious now...
Does everybody else learn it off by heart? God it takes ages -_-
Original post by Tecclesmith
Does everybody else learn it off by heart? God it takes ages -_-

Yup but gotta fine-tune it a bit, few sections of Cicero aren't fully known (yawn) and a couple of bits of Poem 2 and 14 for Ovid.

I think the Ovid is much quicker to learn
Reply 43
Please can anyone post the June 2013 AS literature paper or send it to me? OCR still hasn't put it up and I didn't get it for my mock -.-
Reply 44
Can someone post the above paper to me as well if anyone has access to it please?
Original post by NikolaT

I can't remember specifics, but I think second half of 3.2 could happen, and I can't remember for the rest. I'll have an in-depth look tonight (since I planned on doing that anyway) and report back tomorrow.

Okay, maybe this isn't tomorrow, but I've done it!

These parts of each of the texts have come up so far:

Ovid's Amores:
3.2, 'The One at the Races', lines 1 - 20 came up in 2012.
3.4, 'The One with the Guard', lines 5 - 20 came up in 2012.
3.14, 'The One with the Adultery', lines 1 - 30 came up in 2013.

Cicero In Verrem:
Paragraphs 53 & 54, the introduction, came up in 2012
Paragraph 63 came up in 2012.
Paragraphs 56 & 57, the comparison to Servilius, came up in 2013.
Paragraph 62 came up in 2013.

Hopefully that gives everyone an idea of what they should focus more on.
Original post by TelephoneBox
(...)
I think the Ovid is much quicker to learn

Quicker to learn than Caesar or Vergil in terms of the contain or the story? I see that quite differently. Ovid is most difficult in Latin by far. Not only in contains, but also in writing style.
Original post by Kallisto
Quicker to learn than Caesar or Vergil in terms of the contain or the story? I see that quite differently. Ovid is most difficult in Latin by far. Not only in contains, but also in writing style.

I meant the Ovid set-text in comparison to the Cicero one. As the Ovid is in elegiac couplets it makes it easier to 'trace' the Latin as it were, whereas with the Cicero set text it sometimes is harder to follow it. Perhaps the meaning can be more difficult to understand but as we have had months of preparation on them it does lift that barrier a little bit.

I wasn't making a generalisation, merely comparing the work I've had to put in to revise the Cicero set-text as opposed to the Ovid one. :tongue:
Original post by TelephoneBox
I meant the Ovid set-text in comparison to the Cicero one. As the Ovid is in elegiac couplets it makes it easier to 'trace' the Latin as it were, whereas with the Cicero set text it sometimes is harder to follow it. Perhaps the meaning can be more difficult to understand but as we have had months of preparation on them it does lift that barrier a little bit.

I wasn't making a generalisation, merely comparing the work I've had to put in to revise the Cicero set-text as opposed to the Ovid one. :tongue:

Cicero is quite difficult in writing styles. I have never read a speaker who used so many rhetorical styles than he. From this point of view he is even a little bit harder than Ovid.
Reply 49
I'm thinking about doing Latin A-Level next year! :smile: Is it hard?
Original post by hprynne

Yes it is. For me at least. But I'm not an expert in Latin language. If you love the latin Language, I guess you will get no problems.
Original post by hprynne

Do you find Latin GCSE hard?

If you are good at language at GCSE - genuinely good, you know your endings and don't just blag your way through the language papers - then the AS language paper is very very easy. The literature paper isn't a huge step up in terms of questions asked from GCSE, just in volume of text to learn.

A2 is a big jump in terms of language - going from made-up Latin to real, literary Latin - and the literature questions are much more sophisticated and open-ended, but not necessarily difficult in terms of what you need to say - there's just a lot to know, but any teacher worth their salt should be able to guide you through that sort of thing.

Is it hard? Yes - but then so are most A levels. If you're any good at GCSE it isn't any harder than any other subject, whether arty or scientific.
Reply 52
Original post by NikolaT
Okay, maybe this isn't tomorrow, but I've done it!

These parts of each of the texts have come up so far:

Ovid's Amores:
3.2, 'The One at the Races', lines 1 - 20 came up in 2012.
3.4, 'The One with the Guard', lines 5 - 20 came up in 2012.
3.14, 'The One with the Adultery', lines 1 - 30 came up in 2013.

Cicero In Verrem:
Paragraphs 53 & 54, the introduction, came up in 2012
Paragraph 63 came up in 2012.
Paragraphs 56 & 57, the comparison to Servilius, came up in 2013.
Paragraph 62 came up in 2013.

Hopefully that gives everyone an idea of what they should focus more on.

So If you had to guess do you think 'the Dream' Poem 5 would come up? Knowing exam boards though I doubt they'll follow any pattern, which is a shame.
Reply 53
Original post by Dazed.
So If you had to guess do you think 'the Dream' Poem 5 would come up? Knowing exam boards though I doubt they'll follow any pattern, which is a shame.

I'm also trying to second-guess the examiners. My teacher is unsure about 'the Dream' as it seems too obvious and of course there's the controversial authorship argument. What kind of 10 markers could they set?
Original post by NikolaT
Cicero In Verrem

I find it odd that you have to do In Verrem. It was his first major speech in Rome, IIRC, so it's hardly likely to be properly representative of his oratorical style. I've never read it, though. In Toga Candida, now - there was a fun piece! "quo usque tandem abutere, Catalina, patientia nostra?" - just rolls off the tongue :smile:

Original post by hprynne

I found it *considerably* harder than any other A-level I took. (I took many A-levels, so I have a reasonable base for comparison.) If you do it, make bloody sure to learn your grammar early - it makes everything a hundred times easier. Ideally you should end up being able to look through a sentence knowing none of the vocab but still being able to identify subject/object/verb tense etc.
Original post by aw18
I'm also trying to second-guess the examiners. My teacher is unsure about 'the Dream' as it seems too obvious and of course there's the controversial authorship argument. What kind of 10 markers could they set?

I second third that :tongue:.

But I do think there it is a high possibility that it will come up - it was set as part of the set-text so it feels like a missed opportunity to not ask about it. I definitely don't think they will ask about the authorship of Poem 5 though.

Regarding the 10-markers, I really don't know :frown: I did ask earlier in the thread but didn't get a reply. It's what I'm most scared about. At least with the Cicero there isn't much else they can ask other than aspects of Verres' character or how Verres is made to look bad by Cicero etc.
Original post by Dazed.

80% sure. Otherwise it'd look very stupid. There's every chance OCR will pre-empt everyone revising Poem 5 though, so revise the other pieces of texts that haven't been done yet as well. Having said that, please do revise everything! Even if some pieces have already come up, a working knowledge of every part of both prose and poetry is vital to gain high marks in the 10 mark questions.

Original post by Smaug123
I find it odd that you have to do In Verrem. It was his first major speech in Rome, IIRC, so it's hardly likely to be properly representative of his oratorical style. I've never read it, though. In Toga Candida, now - there was a fun piece! "quo usque tandem abutere, Catalina, patientia nostra?" - just rolls off the tongue :smile:

I thought Pro Roscio was his first major speech? Or maybe just his first speech altogether, not too sure. I haven't actually heard of Toga Candida - would you recommend it as a leisure read? English version of course. :wink:
Reply 57
I do really hope it's 3.5. Equally it could be the latter half of 3.2 or 3.4, so it's difficult to guess. I'm in panic-stage revision now as I have another exam on Monday. Can anyone suggest the most effective revision to be doing in the final run up to the exam?
Original post by NikolaT

I thought Pro Roscio was his first major speech? Or maybe just his first speech altogether, not too sure. I haven't actually heard of Toga Candida - would you recommend it as a leisure read? English version of course. :wink:

The Pro Roscio is indeed his first major case. The Verrines were his first prosecution, however.

I think the reason the Verrines are set so often are that it's Cicero at his most grandstanding because he's starting out and he's eager to impress; it's part of why I dislike Cicero's writing, my first experience with him was doing Verrine V for my A2s and I just remember finding his writing so incredibly heavy handed.

Oh look, a tricolon. Oh look, antithesis. Oh look, he's using the deictic iste. WE GET IT ALREADY YOU ARE GOOD AT RHETORIC.

It gives you a lot to say in terms of stylistic analysis but the content was very dry. I avoided Cicero for the entirety of my degree as a result (although it's not like some of the prose authors I studied were any better!).
Original post by NikolaT

I really recommend the book Imperium (and its sequel, Lustrum) by Robert Harris, by the way. It's an account of Cicero's life told through the voice of one of his slaves, and I found it very hard to put down.
I'm never really sure of recommending translations, because most of them are a bit dated and kind of hard to read. My Latin teacher wrote his own, and they were really good - all the mots justes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending