The Student Room Group

Sainsbury's thread Mk IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxvine
failed mcm
2nd time in 3 visits, i passed the first one...

kinda worried lol. Why does the MCM shopper keep coming to me ffs:frown:

Ouch, what part of the MCM are you failing on? Looks like you need to be given extra training on whatever the issue is, have you been offered any extra training? If not then ask for it and maybe it can help you pass next time.

Just remember, MCM goes towards yours(and all your colleagues) bonus next year. The more you pass and the higher the medal your store gets means you get a bigger bonus.

Think about it as someone taking £100 out of your wages...
Original post by thatg
Ouch, what part of the MCM are you failing on? Looks like you need to be given extra training on whatever the issue is, have you been offered any extra training? If not then ask for it and maybe it can help you pass next time.

Just remember, MCM goes towards yours(and all your colleagues) bonus next year. The more you pass and the higher the medal your store gets means you get a bigger bonus.

Think about it as someone taking £100 out of your wages...

i think its the ending....but tbh i have passed so many times before. I dont know why i have failed 2 of the last 3 mcm's. I have never failed previously.
I think I was having a bad day tbh but that doesn't excuse me failing. The supervisor took me to the office and told me i failed, he said that he won't take any further action but basically i can't fail again otherwise probably written warning or something.
Original post by xxvine
failed mcm

That's crap :/ Our stores recent MCM's (or MAC's, no clue which is which) have went down loads compared to before. Not sure if I have been responsible for any low scores but one of the comments did make it sound a bit like me... Don't worry about it too much :smile: Have you seen what comments were left of the feedback form thing? If not ask if they can tell you what you need to improve on. The things they mark you on are ridiculous tbh, our store got marked down for not smiling at the customer when initially greeting them, yet it was commented the person was friendly... what do they want xD

Original post by lucyrg95
Hey everyone, I have an interview for a general assistant position and on the phone the lady said it was a GA in the bakery.
I was wondering when they ask about my role in the interview what should I say? Should I just specifically concentrate on the bakery side in the answer or include things about general assistants in general as well and talk about customers etc, also not fully aware what a GA in the bakery department will do as it didn't state in the vacancy?

Thanks for the help

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Recruitment_at_sainsburys This was very useful when I applied. Talk about the bakery, but the big thing in all Sainsburys stores is customer service so make sure you focus on that too. We are regularly assessed on our customer service and it's what decides colleague bonuses. Never worked in the bakery myself however I believe they do a mixture of baking and putting stuff out on shelves for bakery (like bread ect.), you'd need someone who works on bakery to give any more detail than that :P This doesn't mean you'll be restricted to bakery, it's possible for you to do work on other departments (for example a lot of people do overtime on checkouts, if they get till trained).
Does anybody know if there's a period during which you can't apply if you've failed the situation judgment test? My friend messed it up somehow... He doesn't even know how. :biggrin:
Original post by xxvine
i think its the ending....but tbh i have passed so many times before. I dont know why i have failed 2 of the last 3 mcm's. I have never failed previously.
I think I was having a bad day tbh but that doesn't excuse me failing. The supervisor took me to the office and told me i failed, he said that he won't take any further action but basically i can't fail again otherwise probably written warning or something.

Correct me if I'm wrong people but I believe it's Sainsburys policy not to punish/discipline for failing an MCM. I believe all they are allowed to do is inform you and then retrain/coach. It's there to help us improve not to punish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1985
Original post by kadafi
Basically you will have to do test which covers the customer service, a bit of maths and some common sense questions, then you will be called out for an 1 to 1 interview on which you'll be asked stuff like what do you know about the company, and about your position, rest will be the same :smile:

Also best for you to read this topic: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Recruitment_at_Sainsburys#The_First_Test:_Customer_Service :smile:

Good luck on your interview

Thank you so much for this! I think I'm prepared enkugh to overcome my nerves now haha.
Hey guys, I was just wondering about the uniform and if anyone knows what sizes it goes up to and if they run small or big? I'm 6ft and a big guy and usually wear an XL or XXL is this going to be an issue or am I being silly?
Original post by Peterjk90
Hey guys, I was just wondering about the uniform and if anyone knows what sizes it goes up to and if they run small or big? I'm 6ft and a big guy and usually wear an XL or XXL is this going to be an issue or am I being silly?

I wouldn't imagine it to be an issue, however they usually deal with ordering uniform at the interview so you'd definitely know then. I'd guess given the size of sainsbury's and the number of employee's it will be something they've already considered, shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Original post by elzginger
Correct me if I'm wrong people but I believe it's Sainsburys policy not to punish/discipline for failing an MCM. I believe all they are allowed to do is inform you and then retrain/coach. It's there to help us improve not to punish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure if this is MCM or one of there other ones (whichever one you get given a green or red for when supervisors access you :P), but I got told if we get a red 3 times they do something, not sure what though :P I remember thinking it was really harsh given as to get a red, you only need to do one thing wrong...
Any night shift workers able to tell me just how much hard work the shift is?

Is it a case of as long as you get your dedicated aisle done during your shift, that would be the minimum requirement and anything else is a bonus?

Just a bit concerned that i might be overwhelmed by the workload at first
Original post by harrisp
Any night shift workers able to tell me just how much hard work the shift is?

Is it a case of as long as you get your dedicated aisle done during your shift, that would be the minimum requirement and anything else is a bonus?

Just a bit concerned that i might be overwhelmed by the workload at first

Not necessarily, some aisles such as loo rolls, tea and coffee, cooking ingredients etc may well be half a night and then you'll be sent to support someone else.

You will feel overwhelmed. All new nightshift staff are. In time though you will beat your targets. You won't get given an aisle immediately on your own, you'll have someone working with you. If you struggle finding things you could ask them to spot things out onto the floor and you then put it onto the shelf.

You will feel very tired by the end of the night, that is a guarantee.

How much you do depends upon the size of the store, if there is enough staff etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well that was a bloody awful shift! It's like the customers think that I personally have put this 5p bag charge in place and that I personally am profiting from it!

Seriously rude people!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by dhr90
Not necessarily, some aisles such as loo rolls, tea and coffee, cooking ingredients etc may well be half a night and then you'll be sent to support someone else.

You will feel overwhelmed. All new nightshift staff are. In time though you will beat your targets. You won't get given an aisle immediately on your own, you'll have someone working with you. If you struggle finding things you could ask them to spot things out onto the floor and you then put it onto the shelf.

You will feel very tired by the end of the night, that is a guarantee.

How much you do depends upon the size of the store, if there is enough staff etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. The store is a medium/large one certainly not a small store and am unsure about staff numbers but I'm told that generally there isn't THAT much staff on night shifts across the board?

I would prefer to (eventually) have my own dedicated aisle because that way I will get to know it inside out and be comfortable with it, just hope it isn't a hard one. BWS, Pop and Pet Food are ones I wouldn't be too happy with.

I just hope the manager(s) don't expect me to be competent straight away but I guess that is what the 12 weeks is for?
Original post by msclaireypants
Well that was a bloody awful shift! It's like the customers think that I personally have put this 5p bag charge in place and that I personally am 7763488profiting from it!

Seriously rude people!

I still get sarcastic remarks over a year after Northern Ireland started charging for bags but it gets easier!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by harrisp
Thanks. The store is a medium/large one certainly not a small store and am unsure about staff numbers but I'm told that generally there isn't THAT much staff on night shifts across the board?

I would prefer to (eventually) have my own dedicated aisle because that way I will get to know it inside out and be comfortable with it, just hope it isn't a hard one. BWS, Pop and Pet Food are ones I wouldn't be too happy with.

I just hope the manager(s) don't expect me to be competent straight away but I guess that is what the 12 weeks is for?

On average we have about 20 people on a Friday night which is probably the busiest of the week, I think we are the second or third largest in the region though. Christmas we gain up to 10 temp staff, maybe more for the week before Xmas.

You don't want BWS! Beer might e easy but it take an awful long time to learn wine and is heavy as hell. Plus whoever works that aisle will have a power truck to use (probably) and you have to be trained on that, something you won't be until they decide whether to keep you on or not.

They will constantly push you to make you faster but no one will expect you to be quick immediately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
failed mcm

They will most likely do more customer service observations on you. Our store has failed the past two MCMs on "engagement" and "easy exit" so there is currently a big drive to improve customer service training across the store.The managers obviously want their huge annual bonus and there would be no point in punishing anyone really as it wouldn't be exactly a proactive approach and would reduce morale!
(edited 9 years ago)
So i am re applying to sainsburys after moving to university and I am applying for a night shift role; is it literally just stocking shelves for 8 hours?
Original post by Tedster
So i am re applying to sainsburys after moving to university and I am applying for a night shift role; is it literally just stocking shelves for 8 hours?

Pretty much, you might be put on cardboard duties or general running, unlikely though apart from towards the end of the night when everyone helps each other out whether it be stacking shelves, dressing shelves, clearing the floor etc.
Can i wear a white blouse for induction day...? Or *shudder* does it all have to be black? Thanks
Original post by burgerrr
Can i wear a white blouse for induction day...? Or *shudder* does it all have to be black? Thanks

I wore a white blouse with polka dots on it to induction and it was fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
dhr90, not sure what your role is within Sainsbury's but you seem very knowledgable about the night shift so I have a few more questions if you may?

What performance related targets are expected on nightshift, that new colleagues are eventually required to meet? How is progress measured at reviews etc?

What sort of things would prevent them from offering you a permanent position once the 12 week probation is up?

Will constantly rejecting overtime be held against me? I am prepared do the odd few overtime shifts here and there but I fear I will be pressured into much more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending