The Student Room Group

Sainsbury's thread Mk IV

Scroll to see replies

Guys, lost my locker key! Anyone know how much it costs to replace and how long I'll have to wait?
Original post by Laurenmae
Guys, lost my locker key! Anyone know how much it costs to replace and how long I'll have to wait?

We were told that it's a fiver to replace and that we'd get one straight away because they keep a spare for each locker, not sure if that varies by store though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, so even though I'm going to, I haven't put my application in for the internal manager scheme as I have a couple of questions (presume as the jobs only opened last Thursday they will be on for a minimum of a week right?), I know I have the minimum 2 a levels they want managers to have so that's not a problem. My questions are as follows, do I have to tell my team leader/line manager that I've applied for this trainee manager scheme? Also on my region there is currently 4 vacancies for internal trainee manager, sounds a touch stupid/naive but I presume I do just apply for one of them and my name will essentially just get put into the system for sorting? My last question is it wants your two previous employers but I've only ever worked for Sainsburys since I left school so I presume I just fill in the first employer section and leave the second blank?

Any answer to these questions would be great, thanks :smile:
Hey all, 16 here and looking for a job. I was looking at the application for my local Sainsbury's and noticed they recommended an education reference and a personal reference if you have no prior work experience.

I was wondering - is it acceptable to put my head teacher down and then my form tutor of 5 years as a personal reference? Or would they prefer someone else? Thanks!
Original post by Nothematic
Hey all, 16 here and looking for a job. I was looking at the application for my local Sainsbury's and noticed they recommended an education reference and a personal reference if you have no prior work experience.

I was wondering - is it acceptable to put my head teacher down and then my form tutor of 5 years as a personal reference? Or would they prefer someone else? Thanks!

I don't think they mind too much tbh... They asked for my references but they definitely didn't contact either of them before giving me the job, then they said they would during the trial 12 weeks and none of them said they were contacted when I asked so I wouldn't worry about it :P That's not to say they won't be contacted though so obviously make sure they are legitimate references still :P

Form tutor and head teacher are absolutely fine :smile:
Reply 1385
Does anyone know how many weeks notice I would have to give in if I've worked at sainsburys 2 years
Original post by RG14
Does anyone know how many weeks notice I would have to give in if I've worked at sainsburys 2 years

As far as I'm aware it's just the standard 4 weeks.
Does anyone have any experience with actually leaving Sainsbury's?
I heard you can just write a letter and give it into HR is that correct?
Plus of course it would be polite to notify your manager when doing so too I imagine?
Am I also correct in understand if you've been there less than 4 weeks you don't need to give any notice?

I don't really want to have to do this, but my manager is really understaffed and is really eager to get me back to work on his department but i've had an injury recently and I can tell I'm just not gonna be able to do the work for at least the next two weeks. I'm being trained on checkouts so I can be off my feet but I think my manager will want me back on his department asap. What with me possibly having to leave anyway next month to move to uni I might just hand in my notice soon.

I only started working two weeks ago, if I handed in my notice this week would I still get paid for everything I've worked up until now?
You need to write a letter of resignation giving 4 weeks notice. Hand this in to your manager.
Original post by snakeydave24
Till training... It doesn't cover anything you need to know so ask questions for as many situations as possible. Eg can a customer pay with 2 different cards, stuff like that which I only found out by accident

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they just teach you the basics, there is so much that I've learned by accident. Like bag exchange.
Original post by Add!ction
You need to write a letter of resignation giving 4 weeks notice. Hand this in to your manager.

If I've been working under 4 weeks do I still need to give notice?
Am I likely to still be paid if I've been working under 4 weeks?
Original post by Himeros

I would have thought so and you will be paid for any hours that you have worked. Why are you leaving?
I would have thought so and you will be paid for any hours that you have worked. Why are you leaving?

"I don't really want to have to do this, but my manager is really understaffed and is really eager to get me back to work on his department but i've had an injury recently and I can tell I'm just not gonna be able to do the work for at least the next two weeks. I'm being trained on checkouts so I can be off my feet but I think my manager will want me back on his department asap. What with me possibly having to leave anyway next month to move to uni I might just hand in my notice soon." :tongue:
Original post by Himeros

Take a look at the contract you signed when you joined Sainsbury's, it should state in there. I think if you've been working under 4 weeks you can leave with no notice required, but don't quote me on that!
Ok, the internal management scheme application process is a touch annoying. It asks for your last 2 employers, but I've only worked at Sainsburys so only have 1 employer if my current employer counts. I have tried leaving them all blank, putting N/A in all the fields but it's not taking it. Not back in work till tuesday so can't find out what to do until then, anyone have any ideas?

Ah okay thank you.
It's down to a couple of reasons but the main thing is I'm likely now going to be moving down to uni, which I hadn't anticipated so because of that it just seems easier to leave.
are you allowed a break if you work 5 hours? if so for how long?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mattjohnbrock
are you allowed a break if you work 5 hours? if so for how long?

Posted from TSR Mobile

4.5 hours or more - 15 mins
6 hours or more 20 mins
8 hours - 30 mins
9 hours or more - 30 mins + 15 mins
Another quick question - if you reach the induction stage do they ask what days you're available?
Original post by Nothematic
Another quick question - if you reach the induction stage do they ask what days you're available?

The days should have been on the job listing when you applied, that'll be the days you're expected to be able to do if you applied for that position, and then in addition to that there'll probably be overtime available too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending