The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ah, so there's another sister. Have you tried talking to your sister in question? About her anti-depressants/what's wrong with her/self-harming. The self-harming may be a means of getting attention?
It sounds as though your sister could be suffering from depression. Has she been to a GP?

Self-harming can be linked with depression, so I would try talking to your sister. You could get her to open up.

Don't be so down about your sister, being a person who has depression, it is very difficult to live with and you don't always want to go out and you lose interest in things.
I'm a bit like that half the time... I used to be on antidepressants but I figure they don't do much for me except give me a pill to take every day, so now I deal with my hysterical states and suicidal thoughts by myself. (Would never do it though, just think about it. I'm sure that mental health professionals would suddenly find the resources to give me the time of day if I did pull a stunt like that though...)
Sounds quite like me in a lot of ways tbh - dropping out of uni 3 times in 3 years, no real urgency to do anything, weird sleeping patterns (however I do go out in the day) Except I'm financially independant and living away from home (which means I do actually have to get a job, I'm just not doing anything quickly about it)

A couple of people have said to me recently wondering if I'm depressed, or have depression, and while I'll admit I'm a kind of depressive person (this happens when I feel I have nothing to look forward to) I don't think I am depressed, but maybe I am :confused:

I wouldn't suggest being harsh on her, that'll make her more introverted, she'll try and defend how she is living, and be stubborn about being like that. I'd suggest just being supportive to her, try and tell her that she'll feel better if she gets a job, is independant, etc. Also your parents have to stop giving her money really, but theres not much you can do about that.

If the debt is just student loan debt then don't worry about that, she doesn't have to pay it back until she is earning over 15k, and even then its sorted automatically for you. Basically free money you don't have to worry about.
Reply 24
ok, thanks guys
is there a specific reason or an incident that caused her to be depressed?
Reply 26
not that i know of, but things at home have probally added to it all aswell
Reply 27
Like other people have said, she sounds depressed hun. I know it just seems like she's being lazy and sponging which is what she is doing on the surface. But if she's been self harming which indicates depression then you get into this cycle which can be hard to break.

Don't stop talking to her. It might not make her wake up tomorrow at 8am determined to get a job, but at least you haven't given up on her. Its difficult for you to understand because you have to deal with your home situation all the time and you manage to do it really well, but not everyone is as strong as you hun!

As much as you are worried, try to make sure you have people around you can talk to and confide in too. You have a lot on your plate and i think you've been doing really well this year.

Latest

Trending

Trending